Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Cool Trackday at Barber

I did my first real trackday at Barber Motorsports Park this past weekend. Barber is a TOP-class place and the museum is killer. I burned a 60min tape recording the old and unique bikes and still didn't get it all. I didn't worry about the new stuff, they're pass`e.
I did it with the Sportsbiketracktime people in the novice class. They did a great job of teaching us noobie's and rookies. They are not a race school but do show you the basics of how to go fast and safe. The novice instructors are race guys that want to teach and are good at it. We got to passing in the session's after lunch and that's when the real fun started.
I ran with M3's and they did great, because I DIDN'T fall OFF. I ran hard enough to grind BOTH valve covers. Ya-Baby, until I found out pricey the carbon fiber covers were. I knew they they were a buck or to, but damn. I it was worth it, doing 80-100 around japs, and ducks in the curves. I do have a little video and the sound is very great. You can tell the boxer from the japs. I'll get that later.
I did not have time to get my double-throw-down triple clamps on but I think I'm going back this late summer and can give a before and after feedback. I wish they were on from the get-go though because I went from "limp-wristed bench racing poser" to "mere-mortal". I'm sure that I could have gone to "impressive mortal"

Old 06-14-2007, 11:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
I wanna Live 'til I die!

Send a message via AIM to signit98
...you show good position, dude... arms are relaxed and you are hagning nicely off... you can see the difference in the picture with the gixxer...

Nie shots, too... I like picture #2...
2005 R1200GS - 20014 KTM690 Enduro - 2011 Husky TE250
Old 06-14-2007, 01:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ExarKunONe Send a message via Skype™ to ExarKunONe
Pictures,making, me, crave, trackday.....
Old 06-15-2007, 02:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I now have done Barber and Loudon on a H ST1100 both were fun and good learning. I guess I crave a lighter weight track vehicle.

I did some passing at Barber amonst other CLASS participants, getting confidence took a long time. In the debreifing session there were some interesting comments. One guy kept staring wide and then heading inside screwing up safetyas we weren't supposed to pass on inside and his line sucked anyway, the instuctors aked him to check his ego at the door. Another guy tried telling off the litrebike guys for using their mucle to pass him on the staights and then slowing him down on the curves, the instructors suggested, well... could you maybe get ahead of them?

I felt pretty experienced in comparison to the other riders including four Cambridge motor-cops this spring at Loudon. Some of the most efficent riding I've seen there was this dude named Gary riding a 650CS at full throttle. The time may be coming when Motards will rein supreme at most trackdays, i was impressed by Eric Woods Yam 450 with 17" wheels a few years ago but didn't really see the performance on the track, further observation will probably reveal advantage of upright position, leverage and lightweight. Still think a well suspended de ABSd 1100s is loads of fun and comfortable platform to learn the curves and passing techniques.

Martin G.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

wow, i love thse shots...

looks similar

barber is a fun, busy track, always moving somewhere. not as smooth as people think. i am glad to had VIR closer with its various configurations. barber is like a moto-playground along with the museum.

repoe3
2004 R1100SBX
Old 06-15-2007, 05:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Seventies Man
I now have done Barber and Loudon on a H ST1100 both were fun and good learning. I guess I crave a lighter weight track vehicle.

I did some passing at Barber amonst other CLASS participants, getting confidence took a long time. In the debreifing session there were some interesting comments. One guy kept staring wide and then heading inside screwing up safetyas we weren't supposed to pass on inside and his line sucked anyway, the instuctors aked him to check his ego at the door. Another guy tried telling off the litrebike guys for using their mucle to pass him on the staights and then slowing him down on the curves, the instructors suggested, well... could you maybe get ahead of them?

I felt pretty experienced in comparison to the other riders including four Cambridge motor-cops this spring at Loudon. Some of the most efficent riding I've seen there was this dude named Gary riding a 650CS at full throttle. The time may be coming when Motards will rein supreme at most trackdays, i was impressed by Eric Woods Yam 450 with 17" wheels a few years ago but didn't really see the performance on the track, further observation will probably reveal advantage of upright position, leverage and lightweight. Still think a well suspended de ABSd 1100s is loads of fun and comfortable platform to learn the curves and passing techniques.

Martin G.
your summary is about the norm for trackdays. always a liter bike inline 4 to flex some muscle down the straights...taking them on the brakes at the end is so very sweet. people that are unsafe are best followed for a period of time, them dispatched a clean safe point on the track. i learned a lot form following people that i was actually faster than. what i mean by that was learning better and faster ways to make passes.

barber is actually easy or hard to pass, depending on where and who you are dealing with. its gets even better when you have a few folks you know well and ride similar paces. then you can find your own strengths and weaknesses and work where they are stronger too and you all get faster.

cant wait to get to VIR South in a couple weeks for the weekend. it is similar to barber, little less elevation change. some folks even like VIR North more than Barber.

if you have a chance, try a day with NESBA.

repoe3
2004 R1100SBX
Old 06-15-2007, 05:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Cool

We had a pretty good crowd. At first the liter bikes were shooting out of a curve and parking it in the next. The instructors told the guys that "If you've got a SV650 sticking it in your side at every curve, then let them by and learn why they're sticking it in your side". They explained that they were slower in the straights and faster in the curves. I took advantage of the suspension by braking alot later into the curves. The donkey did quit well packing me around the track.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Lookin good 'n nasty! Sounds like a great weekend. You won't believe your street riding confidence level increase after a track day like that. Enjoy your new skills but remember to ride safe on the street too. The track can easily spoil you without most of the natural hazzards like traffic, sand, oil, water, animals, squids, no rules, etc. It will be a great comparo after you get your new clamps mounted.

'98 R1100S - Triple Clamps, 10mm Shortened Telelever
2007 Ducati S2R1000, 2008 KTM 990SDR
Old 06-15-2007, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ExarKunONe Send a message via Skype™ to ExarKunONe
Quote:
Originally posted by Seventies Man

Martin G.
It sure is fun to pass a 999 on a stock SV650
Old 06-15-2007, 11:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

nice pics. also making me tingle for track..... cant wait. July 14th Road america!! DROOL!! Keep it going. track days are oh so nice. i wish i had made the jump sooner. you look good out there.

Old 06-15-2007, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: