Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Uh....who me?

OT - Ducati sprocket/Roger/Jony

Changing the rear tire of my 900SS/SP FE at 10,600 miles and noticed wear on the sprocket. I have a replacement but not sure if I NEED to do it at this time. Worn sprocket is Cycle Specialties billet, and has about 9,000 miles on it. I expect the tire I'm putting on the bike to last the nominal 2,500 miles. Replace or not? If it will last another tire rotation, will it affect chain wear? Obviously, I'd rather not replace it now, but if you guys think I should I'll go with your experience. Pics attached with old and new.

Old 06-14-2007, 02:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Living on borrowed time!

Hey Bob;
My opinion,, FWIW, is that should lst another 2500 miles, but they DO wear more rapidly as they approach the end of useful life.
also depends on how hard you flog it...
sold my DUC, BTW, got 4K for it and it went to a very appreciative afficinadiao of ducatis, so I feel good about it not going to some stunta punnk.

'I am John Andrew Moffett of the Clan Moffat and by god I live, love, seek, fail, grieve and die as I so choose and I call no man master save me'.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

If you were putting a 5-10kmile touring tire on, I'd say change it now.
That one's not horribly worn, so another 2500 miles and then swapping at the next tire change should be fine. Yes, it will cause a tiny bit of extra chain wear, but not much with an Al sprocket on a ferrous chain. No worries.

> but they DO wear more rapidly
> as they approach the end of useful life.
> also depends on how hard you flog it...

Ditto that, so check it at half tire life or so to be sure, but if it's kept clean and lubed, you'll have no issue.

OnRoad OffRoad Cycles, Austin, TX: BMW, Ital, Suspension, Electrics
Dealer for K-Tech, JRI, GP Suspension, Penske, Íhlins, RaceTech, Elka, Wilbers, IKON & Works
www.ororcycle.com

CMRA EXPERT #841
Various Formula 5, 6 & 7 championships 2006-2012

A3, Navigator,
Old 06-14-2007, 06:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Uh....who me?

Thanks guys....was hoping you'd say that.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ExarKunONe Send a message via Skype™ to ExarKunONe
You are supposed to change your chain when you change your sprockets anyway so unless you have a super chain I wouldn't worry about extra chain wear.

Old 06-15-2007, 02:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: