Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

He's right ! phoenixtexoma has really got his Prep running great. It looks so much cleaner than my '99. #1 no center stand really cleans up the cluttered look aft and below the engine and #2 the Jet Hot coated headers look great! We did have a good ride also, the weather is unseasonably cool right now. Of course we're about 10 " over on rain so far this year.

Keith
'99 R1100S Black

Old 06-24-2007, 07:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
I wanna Live 'til I die!

Send a message via AIM to signit98
...Well, I have a NEW bike... or at least it feels that way. Put the sprockets in (easy to do, you just need to be patient and careful), took the PCIII out... let the cat out of my ex's house and then took the donkey for a 250 mile test ride... it's amazing what a difference two small sprockets make... mindboggling!

The vibrations are all but gone, it revs the midrange like there is no tomorrow and the fuel consumption has gotten better because my style of riding has changed a little... very little need to rev over the mid range.... also, on a 2 mile stretch, I opened it up with a little headwind and still made it up to 132 MPH...

That is more than enough for me... in "real life" I very rarely see more than 100 MPH... but overall riding has improved significantly as I am shifting even less than before... LOVE IT!

Thank you Lennnie... thank you Phoenix..... that was money well spent!
2005 R1200GS - 20014 KTM690 Enduro - 2011 Husky TE250
Old 07-01-2007, 04:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
No try, do or not do

Garage
but, can you wheelie!?
Old 07-02-2007, 05:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

took out the PC III ?

I've got a SJ filter, induct, PC III, and two bros. with no cat- and am interested in these sprockets. how will everything work together? do I need a new fuel map?

and how do I get a set? anyone have the direct contact infor for lennie?

Thanks,
Sam
Old 07-02-2007, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
I wanna Live 'til I die!

Shreddr... I don't like to wheelie, so I can't tell you

Sam...go to page one of this thread and scroll down... he has posted here... PM him. Be patient... he's a busy fella, it seems but he WILL get back to you.

Yes, took the PCIII out... don't need it anymore... the bike starts better, runs smoother and has overall improved it's habits...

With the PCIII it starts harder and I did not feel that much improvement on my bike... tried 3 different maps.... have a cat eliminator with the original exhaust... I don't think you need a different fuel map...

I am building a custom CF Induct and a custom CF exhaust (2-into-1) right now.... but with the exhaust I am not really going after more power (hard to achieve with this bike) but I want to get rid of weight, especially up high...

With the induct, I made a gipsum mold from the original and re-shaped it to take the restrictions out yet still have it fit under the plastics... waiting for the CF material to come in... then I'll lay it up and try it... I am also tempted to build an entirely different system, we'll see.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

I just installed my PC III last season and felt it changed the bike dramatically- would hate to remove it.... do you really think it fights the sprockets?

Also- I believe the sprockets improve the mid range, but have got to wonder why the stock sprockets are what they are why BMW left so much room for improvement?
Old 07-02-2007, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

I wanna Live 'til I die!

...No, Sam I didn't think it FIGHTS the sprockets... I just didn't feel the need for the PCIII anymore... its always a little cluttered with all the extra plugs and cables... so I took it off without even trying it!

Maybe I should... but then. I am happy with the bike for now.

When Manufacturers create a bike (for example) they have to contend with Emissions, Noise and other abatements all over the world... I am sure that is part of the reason why such thing would be done, to name some...

I read up on it and Lennie has done quite a bit of research on that topic... he tried varying degrees of offset and came up with 9 degrees as the best solution... from where I stand, I WILL HAVE TO AGREE WITH HIM!

All I can say is: That was money well invested... Nate got some money out of it (and I have NO problem supporting him), Lennie made a few bucks and I have a wonderful improvement to be happy about... that is, I believe, called a win-win-win situation!
Old 07-02-2007, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
I wanna Live 'til I die!

...No, Sam I didn't think it FIGHTS the sprockets... I just didn't feel the need for the PCIII anymore... its always a little cluttered with all the extra plugs and cables... so I took it off without even trying it!

Maybe I should... but then. I am happy with the bike for now.

When Manufacturers create a bike (for example) they have to contend with Emissions, Noise and other abatements all over the world... I am sure that is part of the reason why such thing would be done, to name some...

I read up on it and Lennie has done quite a bit of research on that topic... he tried varying degrees of offset and came up with 9 degrees as the best solution... from where I stand, I WILL HAVE TO AGREE WITH HIM!

All I can say is: That was money well invested... Nate got some money out of it (and I have NO problem supporting him), Lennie made a few bucks and I have a wonderful improvement to be happy about... that is, I believe, called a win-win-win situation!
Old 07-02-2007, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

I kept my Techlusion hooked up, but dialed the low-end cruising pot to a little over the fully closed position, moved the accelerator pot to what Techlusion recommended, and opened my top end pot to about 3/4. I'm running a Z-Technik with San Jose power filter/induct/snorkel, among a number of other mods. I couldn't tell any drop-off on the top end, ran it about 144 on the speedo. Very little soot in my exhaust, Brisk plugs spotless but not burnt. Absolutely smooth as silk on the highway, zero vibration below 5k rpm compared to before.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
No try, do or not do

Garage
phoenix, is that thing really pulling wheelies in 3 gears or are you have some post-purchase justification.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Living on borrowed time!

generally, as a rule-of-thumb, advancing the cam timing (all other things being equal) improves low end and midrange.
retarding the cam timing, does the top end.
very generalized, but accurate.

'I am John Andrew Moffett of the Clan Moffat and by god I live, love, seek, fail, grieve and die as I so choose and I call no man master save me'.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

It's very definitely pulling the front wheel off the ground in 3rd about a foot with hard, full-throttle shifting, have done it four or five times. I'm absolutely not a wheelie fan, it startled me the first time. Of course, the bike has a number of mods like those listed above. My feeling is that the sprockets are the perfect complement to other mods. So what if the top end is knocked down 5-6 mph? How many times and places can you go all out to top end? Best $130 I've spent on my S. The tach needle literally flies through the first 3 gears. Next, Lennie needs to invent a sprocket set-up (maybe centrifugal type) that changes the cam timing. Most Jap bikes already have them.

Old 07-02-2007, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: