Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Thanks. all . Well its Tuesday and time to pay BMW a visit. I'm stumped. Have replaced TPS, set at 385. Have performed aleak down test ,no burnt valves. Replaced the coils,wires and the o2sensor. The plugs look fine but have been replaced twice. I've run injector cleaner through. Cleaned the left side injector. Twin maxed , and used vacumm gauges to balance. Cables seem to be operating fine. Replaced o rings on the brass screws. Checked for air leaks. I'm stumped. Its time to see which sensors has taken a crap, off to BMW. Thanks for all the support and feed back.
The bike runs fair after being warmed up. But after sitting and restarting its like a popcorn machine.

Old 06-19-2007, 04:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Do not take too seriously

Garage
Have you checked the MAP sensor?

http://www.sport-touring.eu | http://eurotravel.photos
Old 06-19-2007, 05:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Man it's flat out here!

Garage
What about the Timing Sensor?
"What I've tried to do in the two books I've done, Signature in the Cell and Darwin's Doubt, is to show just how weak the materialist's hand is in explaining the key events in the history of life. ... We would encourage people to roll up their sleeves, do their homework on this." Stephen Meyer PHD
Old 06-19-2007, 04:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
unsafe at any speed

Dee tells me his dealer spent all day troubleshooting, and told him the throttle body stop was out of adjustment...

Hopefully it is fixed, as he and Denice are leaving for a ride to Canada tomorrow. Bamf I believe is their destination.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Yes Bill, is right. I'm on my way to see if the bike is indeed fixed. All day to find a set screw out of adjustment. Don't know how this moved I have never touched it.
This ones gonna hurt. OOuch
Old 06-20-2007, 05:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Makes sense. That's why I'd asked about the throttle plate openings and if they exactly matched. W/o those matching, everything else is just twiddling around the margins. Hope they have it for you Dee. Good luck.

OnRoad OffRoad Cycles, Austin, TX: BMW, Ital, Suspension, Electrics
Dealer for K-Tech, JRI, GP Suspension, Penske, Íhlins, RaceTech, Elka, Wilbers, IKON & Works
www.ororcycle.com

CMRA EXPERT #841
Various Formula 5, 6 & 7 championships 2006-2012

A3, Navigator,
Old 06-20-2007, 07:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Thanks all, its running smoooth . were packing up and getting ready to do some rain ridin! BMW was gracious and only charge me for 3 hours. There still is a little compassion in the motorcycle world.
I wanted to let you guys know that they gave me an R1200R new as a loner. Ran out of gas with 15 miles showing on the reserve . Well time to finish packing. Thanks everyone. Roger you were spot on.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
unsafe at any speed

You should pay Roger too then!
Old 06-20-2007, 08:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by wswartzwel
Dee tells me his dealer spent all day troubleshooting, and told him the throttle body stop was out of adjustment...

Hopefully it is fixed, as he and Denice are leaving for a ride to Canada tomorrow. Bamf I believe is their destination.
I guess that is the idle stop - that gets screwed up when people who used to fool with carbs wrongfully think they should do a zero=zero on a TB. Checking the butterfly openings with a home-made wire gauge would have caught it.

But shouldn't this have been detected with Dee's TwinMax check?

Even if the stop(s) were misadjusted (likely just a wee misadjustment because a big change is unlikely) but if the BBS(s) kind of corrected for that at idle, there still shouldn't be a much funny about the way the bike runs.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Nope, twinmax won't detect that. Nor any other vac gauge.

> when people who used to fool with carbs wrongfully think they should do a zero=zero on a TB

0=0 still valid. Nothing wrong there.

> there still shouldn't be a much funny about the way the bike runs.

No again, I'm afraid. Doesn't take much to throw these off.
Dee's bike is a case in point.

Glad you got it sorted Dee. It's easy to do more damage than good while rooting around. (Did it to myself on the SV a while back - needed a dyno to figure out where the problem was) I saved myself some cash by getting the top end jetted just right, but botched the low/middle in the process. Had to ante up for some dyno time anyway. In retrospect, I could/should have found it myself, but it doesn't always work out that way. Happens to all of us.

Good riding.

OnRoad OffRoad Cycles, Austin, TX: BMW, Ital, Suspension, Electrics
Dealer for K-Tech, JRI, GP Suspension, Penske, Íhlins, RaceTech, Elka, Wilbers, IKON & Works
www.ororcycle.com

CMRA EXPERT #841
Various Formula 5, 6 & 7 championships 2006-2012

A3, Navigator,
Old 06-20-2007, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Living on borrowed time!

'when people who used to fool with carbs wrongfully think they should do a zero=zero on a TB'

so, Ben ******, still spewing nonsense as Peter Parts, eh?

'I am John Andrew Moffett of the Clan Moffat and by god I live, love, seek, fail, grieve and die as I so choose and I call no man master save me'.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Garage
Who's that? (somehow I have a feeling I know, but I am not sure..)

Old 06-20-2007, 12:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

I wanna Live 'til I die!

Send a message via AIM to signit98
Quote:
Originally posted by roger albert
Nope, twinmax won't detect that. Nor any other vac gauge.

> when people who used to fool with carbs wrongfully think they should do a zero=zero on a TB

0=0 still valid. Nothing wrong there.

Here's a question, Roger... if you do a 0 = 0 and you bring the voltage back up wuth the throttle stop screw... shouldn't you somehow equalize the other side's screw as wll to the same throttle opening?

Isn't that why Dee's bike was out of whack... if I understand correctly... none of the procedure's descriptions mention that...
2005 R1200GS - 20014 KTM690 Enduro - 2011 Husky TE250
Old 06-20-2007, 12:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by JonyRR
'when people who used to fool with carbs wrongfully think they should do a zero=zero on a TB'

so, Ben ******, still spewing nonsense as Peter Parts, eh?
Nevermind, I did a search. After a few encounters I stopped visiting a particular other site cause I couldn't take (and fight) the BS anymore.

Old 06-20-2007, 01:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Man it's flat out here!

Garage
One of my Brit riding buddies told me to check the TB Stops by holding on to one TB with fingers (feel the clack when it reaches the stop) while positioning my ear next to the other TB (hear the clack when it reaches the stop). Just roll the Throttle closed and you'll know immediately if they're not in sync. I checked mine shortly after I bought it and they were not in sync...I adjusted the right side cable and I've had minimal surging issues since then. I also use Autolite 3923 Spark Plugs.

From my MSWord Log File:
23AUG2004 - @19,135 Miles I followed the advice from one of my British riding buddies, Chris Barnes who owns a 2004 BMW R1150R Rockster, regarding Throttle Body Synchronization. While the engine is OFF, listen to the Throttle closure to hear the Butterflies hit their respective STOPS. Make sure that they STOP simultaneously during Throttle rolloff to Low Idle position. Mine did not STOP simultaneously. The RH side hit the STOP slightly later than the LH side. Chris said to only adjust the cable of the RH side (without the Throttle Position Sensor) and do not adjust the STOP Screws. I made the adjustment in about 3 minutes and now they STOP simultaneously.

"What I've tried to do in the two books I've done, Signature in the Cell and Darwin's Doubt, is to show just how weak the materialist's hand is in explaining the key events in the history of life. ... We would encourage people to roll up their sleeves, do their homework on this." Stephen Meyer PHD

Last edited by R111S; 06-20-2007 at 08:00 PM..
Old 06-20-2007, 07:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: