Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Need help?

We've been planning this trip for the better part of a year. Departure is set for Wed. , Destination Canadian Rockies. The 94 R1100RS Has new tires, brakes , ABS working correctly , Ohlins rebuilt. New battery.
The bike after having some work done on it ,42k on it, has started back firing, idle has excellerated up to 1500. After running a while the left cylinder is running hot, theres popping on deacceleration. The valves have been set.
I've change out the Oxygen sensor and replaced the Coil and plug wires,after this started. It did not fix the problem. Checked for air leaks inspected the intake manifolds. The volts at the TPS are acceptable. I'm stumped. I figure it must be in the fuel injection system , but not sure. I've made a appointment with BMW but its later in the week. Denise has spent a lot of time reading maps and planning, I don't want let her down. Can any of you guys point me in the right direction or am I at the mercy of the BMW Franchise? Thanks Dee Jones
PS. Please don't tell me to go buy a new bike, its already been mentioned.

Last edited by dee jones; 06-17-2007 at 08:35 AM..
Old 06-17-2007, 08:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Not sure this is much help but I would recheck the valves and consider decarboning the heads with some sea foam or marvels
02 S ohlins/laser
06 HP2
84 GS/KTM
Old 06-17-2007, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

need to look at throttle cables and crossover/junction.
Most large and sudden imbalances on oilheads are in this area

OnRoad OffRoad Cycles, Austin, TX: BMW, Ital, Suspension, Electrics
Dealer for K-Tech, JRI, GP Suspension, Penske, Öhlins, RaceTech, Elka, Wilbers, IKON & Works
www.ororcycle.com

CMRA EXPERT #841
Various Formula 5, 6 & 7 championships 2006-2012

A3, Navigator,
Old 06-17-2007, 09:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Can you swap the injectors side-to-side to see if that changes which is the 'bad' cylinder?
Jim
Old 06-17-2007, 09:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
unsafe at any speed

Let her ride your nice comfortable ST, and you ride the little Ducati.

sounds like either a vacuum leak or faulty/dirty injector.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanks, had the left cylinder injector apart yesterday, seems to be okay. The cables appear to be alright. The throttle bodies are zero out on the twin max.
Bill, I believe that Denise will be riding the ST. I'll have to change the belts and have the valves adjusted on the Cagiva, and ride it unless this problem is soon resolved.
The ignition switch had a short in it. It was reworked and the wires were spliced together. Is it possible that just the left cylinder could be affected?
Old 06-17-2007, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by dee jones
The ignition switch had a short in it. It was reworked and the wires were spliced together. Is it possible that just the left cylinder could be affected?
From that? No. The injectors are wired in parallel, and the plugs are similar. Unless, of course, some other wires were damaged in the same short.

If you have a one-sided issue, I'd start swapping a few things around to see what makes it change sides. Of course, it sounds like you have covered most of the bases already. Have you swapped injectors around?

Simultaneously, I'd be looking for a way to do a leakdown test and I'd spray something flammable (do I really need to include the warnings here?) at the intake area to look for leaks.

Also I would check the fuel pressure and thoroughly clean the throttle bodies.

Hopefully it's really simple but you only have a few days and most dealers are closed on one of them.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

> The ignition switch had a short in it. It was reworked and the wires were spliced together. Is it possible that just the left cylinder could be affected?

Very little chance. Power there common to both sides.

I'd swap injectors to see if the problem moves sides as was already suggested.

What is TPS voltage.

Have you rotated it a bit one way or the other.

Hi idle usually points to air mismatch (plates or leaks) or TPS off
You have same vacuum at idle on both sides, and further up in the rpm range too?

throttle plates opening perfectly together?

Dealer for K-Tech, JRI, GP Suspension, Penske, Öhlins, RaceTech, Elka, Wilbers, IKON & Works
www.ororcycle.com

CMRA EXPERT #841

A3, Navigator,
Old 06-17-2007, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I have not swaped the injectors around, just cleaned the left side. The TPS voltage is 407, a little on the high side. Have checked for leaks around the intake , no apparent leak. Thanks guys. The problem is inconsistent, the bike just won't hold a setting. I actually thought the TPS was moving, but it seems to be holding.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by dee jones
I have not swaped the injectors around, just cleaned the left side. The TPS voltage is 407, a little on the high side.
It has to be below .400 or you lose your decel fuel cutoff; this will cause backfiring.

Set it to somewhere in the .370 to .385 range.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Anton thanks, I was told that setting the TPS high would bring down the idle. I'll certainly try it. Thanks all
Old 06-17-2007, 12:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Man it's flat out here!

Garage
I'd try running some Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner through a tank or two...it's one of the best cleaners on the market.
"What I've tried to do in the two books I've done, Signature in the Cell and Darwin's Doubt, is to show just how weak the materialist's hand is in explaining the key events in the history of life. ... We would encourage people to roll up their sleeves, do their homework on this." Stephen Meyer PHD
Old 06-17-2007, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

> Anton thanks, I was told that setting the TPS high would bring down the idle.

That is wrong. Anton is spot on!

Where are you brass screws set. Those a bit open in conjunction with a high TPS will bring up idle quite a bit.

www.ororcycle.com

CMRA EXPERT #841

A3, Navigator,
Old 06-17-2007, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

R111S , I've run fuel injector cleaner throught the system. Anton and Roger have put me closer to the solution. I don't have the volt meter here so I've set it by ear. The bike is already running better with less back fireing. Hopefully with a little more work the bike will be ready for the long haul. I thank the Pelican Board for coming to the rescue.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Roger, The brass screws are set at a little over one and a half turns. I can still feel a small amount of hick-uping coming through the left throttle body. Hopefully its not a burnt valve?
Old 06-17-2007, 01:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Interesting. It is appreciably more than through the other side?
And are we sure the butterflies have the exact same gap?
And then that the valve clearance is definitely not too tight?
(and hasn't been recently)

-- Sorry, I know that's more questions than answers --

A burned valve is not impossible, but I wouldn't declare you that bad off right away.

More visible carbon/darkness in intake-tract (including TB) on that side?

www.ororcycle.com

CMRA EXPERT #841

A3, Navigator,
Old 06-17-2007, 02:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Roger at this phase of the game things are better , but still not right. I'm not relly sure about anything. Confusion seems to be plaqueing my mind. Will get it worked out although time is of the essence. I'll recheck the valves since our ducati mechnic checked the valves last week. I guess its possible he could have set them to tight I'll definitely check. What is the proper setting on those brass screws?
Old 06-17-2007, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Roger at this phase of the game things are better , but still not right. I'm not relly sure about anything. Confusion seems to be plaqueing my mind. Will get it worked out although time is of the essence. I'll recheck the valves since our ducati mechnic checked the valves last week. I guess its possible he could have set them to tight I'll definitely check. What is the proper setting on those brass screws?
Old 06-17-2007, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Even my computers acting up . Sorry for the double wammy.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Hi Dee,

I usually end up around 1.5 turns out too.
There is no one real 'right' setting. Just whatever
it takes to get idle speed and balance right.

Are you ABSOLUTELY sure all is 100% right with
the cables and splitter. They're about the only reason
(short of a one sided leak or simple misadjustment)
that you usually see an imbalance.

Sorry that's not much help.
Remote diagnosis is not easy, and I've been stuck
doing a bunch of that for a customer 125gp bike
getting ready to make the trick to Miller. Haven't had
enough time to think about yours, but I keep coming back
to cabling.

www.ororcycle.com

CMRA EXPERT #841

A3, Navigator,
Old 06-18-2007, 05:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: