Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

OT-They followed me

They followed me home can I keep them?

So last month as a favor to a guy at work that was heading off for two years in the Peace Corp I bought his GPZ550. Last weekend my wife found her all time favorite bike a CB400F on Craig's List.

Now I have plenty of projects after I finish the clutch job on the spare S and sell it. I need good suggestions on removing some surface corrosion from engine cases. The '75 400 w/1675 original miles needs the fins cleaned up.

I have only been out on the 550 but what a hoot to listen to it wail through the gears and only be doing 60 MPH.

This is the first time I have bought a bike for the shear fun of it.

Wish me luck, RB

Old 06-18-2007, 12:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to stephen914
Talking Love those GPzs!

Nice! My first road bike was an 84 GPz750. Mine was the silver with blue/red stripes. I had the Yoshi pipe on it. Man was that thing loud.

2000 R1100S
Ztechnick exhust
FosterRad Fuel Chip
Ohlins F&R
BMW MOA#125237

http://empeg9000.blogspot.com/
Old 06-18-2007, 02:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Ooooh, I am experiencing a 1970s flashback...
When I was a young, careless youth, I was stupid enough to buy a Ducati 500 vertical twin. Lovely bike to ride and, before things completely turned to hell (as they invariably did with 1970s Ducatis) someone stole it.
Anyway, I had booked in for my licence test and I needed to borrow a bike, and fast. A guy I kind of knew at work had one, I pleaded with him and, much to my surprise, he loaned me his Honda CB400F for a day. Lovely motorcycle; nice balance, rearset pegs, rode beautifully. If I had my time over again, I would have done something smart and bought one just like it but I never did. Only had the thing for around 6 hours but I never forgot riding it that day.
I just occurred to me that was in 1976. Suddenly, I feel old.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I bought an '81 GPz in '82, still had the twin shocks, yours must be a bit newer. I had been bikeless for a few years, the front brakes were a revelation.
And nothing like a streetbike with a kickstart.
Jim
Old 06-18-2007, 04:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Do not take too seriously

Garage
Ooooohhh That CeeBee is nice. That's exactly what my first bike looked like. And the original exhaust is still in one piece. It looks original, except for the blinkers.

These are the blinkers that are supposed to be on it:

Here

If you (your wifey) is going to ride it regularly, may I suggest to remove the exhaust and put a cheap aftermarket on? The original is very very rare, almost impossible to find without being destroyed by rust and it can no longer be had from Honda.

http://www.sport-touring.eu | http://eurotravel.photos

Last edited by throttlemeister; 06-18-2007 at 04:47 AM..
Old 06-18-2007, 04:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
little hondas are cool.
i had the cbx400 for a while. not availalbe in the USA. had a redline of 16,000 rpm. quite the giggle to play with.

Old 06-18-2007, 09:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Dang, another flashback...
Riverside, 1981, California Superbike School. A day on a Kawa 550 tearing around with people like Code telling me what I was doing right and wrong. Improved a heap during the day, felt much better about my riding after that.
It was real fun sitting on the wall at Turn 6 (I think it was), watching a couple of the instructors and some of the faster pupils have a serious ride later in the day. Kinda turned into a race and an English guy at the end end of the track and I used officials' radios and headsets to commentate the action for 30 mins before the long ride back to PCH and Normandy.
Now THAT was a pretty good day.

Last edited by branners; 06-19-2007 at 04:11 AM..
Old 06-19-2007, 04:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by throttlemeister
It looks original, except for the blinkers.

These are the blinkers that are supposed to be on it:

Here

Well the wife did some research, the the Euro model had the small blinkers and the US model came with the big blinkers. I looked and the front fender is new. Today I hope to hear it run for the first time. The wife is also looking for another exhaust to save the stocker.

RB
Old 06-19-2007, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Living on borrowed time!

the OEM zorsts on the 350 and 400 4's are almost impossible to find.
BTW, I saw that one on craigslist.
always liked the 400 4....and the GPZ550 was the RD350 of it's day and a real giant killer.
See ya at the IOV. I'll be on my KTM 'tard this year.

'I am John Andrew Moffett of the Clan Moffat and by god I live, love, seek, fail, grieve and die as I so choose and I call no man master save me'.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Do not take too seriously

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by RBMann
Well the wife did some research, the the Euro model had the small blinkers and the US model came with the big blinkers. I looked and the front fender is new. Today I hope to hear it run for the first time. The wife is also looking for another exhaust to save the stocker.

RB
That would explain it.

http://www.sport-touring.eu | http://eurotravel.photos
Old 06-19-2007, 09:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by JonyRR

See ya at the IOV.
Vashon? When is it? I have never been and always seem to hear about it after the fact.

RB
Old 06-20-2007, 01:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
President - Okie Chapter

It's weird to see that selection of bikes.
I used to own that exact model of Kawasaki, back in the day and now have a 350f Honda, after giving up on finding a 400f.

As throttlemeister said, do be careful with the exhaust. They are VERY rare. Both the header and muffler.

BTW - I have an extra, original Dunstall muffler (loudner) if you are interested.

Have fun with it.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by BMathison

BTW - I have an extra, original Dunstall muffler (loudner) if you are interested.

Have fun with it.
Thanks for the offer but the wife already found another system.

RB

Old 06-24-2007, 10:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: