Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

1200ST - rear rotor heat question

Under normal riding conditions (street riding, not dragging the brake), how hot should I expect the rear rotor to be immediately after riding? For grins and giggles, I checked it last night after about a 20 mile in-town ride and it was literally too hot to touch with my bare finger. Up on the center stand, I notice a little drag when rotating the wheel but this is typical of any bike I've had. (This is a new bike - about 800 miles on it.)

...more BMWs, Buells, Harleys and Hondas than you can shake a stick at!
Old 06-19-2007, 03:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Do not take too seriously

Garage
Pissing hot.

Think about it. You are bringing something in the order of 600 pounds to a stop only by simple means of friction on two small and thin metal discs. All that energy is being transferred into heat only.

http://www.sport-touring.eu | http://eurotravel.photos
Old 06-19-2007, 04:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Agreed.

But if you're concerned, drive the last few miles home w/o using the rear brake. If it's still hot, THEN you have an issue (dragging)
Otherwise, you're fine.

OnRoad OffRoad Cycles, Austin, TX: BMW, Ital, Suspension, Electrics
Dealer for K-Tech, JRI, GP Suspension, Penske, Íhlins, RaceTech, Elka, Wilbers, IKON & Works
www.ororcycle.com

CMRA EXPERT #841
Various Formula 5, 6 & 7 championships 2006-2012

A3, Navigator,
Old 06-19-2007, 06:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by roger albert
Agreed.

But if you're concerned, drive the last few miles home w/o using the rear brake. If it's still hot, THEN you have an issue (dragging)
Otherwise, you're fine.
Unfortunately, I would have to coast. I have the partially linked ABS system.

Guess I could do a Fred Flintstone and drag my feet.

...more BMWs, Buells, Harleys and Hondas than you can shake a stick at!
Old 06-19-2007, 06:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Do not take too seriously

Garage
You will recognize drag immediately, as the wheel will stop almost instantly if you give it a swirl on the stand. And the disc will be blue. Which is ok if you have been playing hard and been hard on the brakes, but under normal conditions it is an indicator of something being not entirely right.

http://www.sport-touring.eu | http://eurotravel.photos
Old 06-19-2007, 08:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: