Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Tire Replacement

I need to replace my front tire. It currently has a Metzler Sportech M1 120/70ZR17 on the front. I had the rear replaced last year with the same brand/model.

I thought I might find a good deal on the web for the front, but found out there are number variations on the above tire. IE. (B), (P), etc. So I called a local bike shop(which replaced my rear tire) and got a price of $149, tire only. They said it's a special version of this tire specifically for the R11s. I can get a vanilla Metzler Sporttech M1 120/70ZR17 on the web for $95 and includes shipping.

I read some threads on this forum that the special type (B), (P), etc. will effect the handling characteristics of the bike. I don't doubt it will, but how much? Enough for a novice like me to notice? Also, I didn't see any additional notation on the current tire on the bike indicating other specs other then the 120/70ZR17

Old 06-20-2007, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

for comparison.... vehicle makers(cages) spec order large batches of tires (obviously). they get different compounds, for whatever reason. someone may say for performance, but i think that lower cost is more likely. no reason to think bmw doesnt do this also

call a tire house that can get all versions and ask what the difference is. harder cheaper tires might be ok on a buick, but not on a bike, imo.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I go through tires like marijuana at a Greatful Dead concert and I have never been concerned with this distinction when mail ordering on the web. To me there is not much difference in any of the brands as long as your are comparing sport to sport and sport touring to sport touring. But to each his own.

Old 06-20-2007, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: