Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Route suggestions Reno-Monterey

Will be riding to and from the MotoGP in Laguna Seca next month. We are planning to take in the Lake Tahoe area along the way. I look on my AMA map and see lots of roads with the dots along them (scenic route) which usually means nice road but also often can mean heavy summer traffic. Looking for some interesting route suggestions between Reno and Monterey. Not sure yet if we will do this coming or going. No particular preference one way or the other. We will ride the coast in the other direction.

We have not ridden around Lake Tahoe before so would like to include that in the plan. So far I see one possible route assuming from Reno to Monterey as:
- 395 south
- 431 to Incline Village
- 28 along the lake shore (not sure which side is better?)
- back onto 395 south to Mono Lake
- west on 120 through Yosemite
- after that I don't seen any thing really interesting on the map, any ideas from locals to the area?

Or any other route suggestions if my planned route is not as nice as other options I can't see on my map?

If possible we'd like to hit Oakley for some business if a better route can be found that goes near Oakley but it looks to me like that will involve the whole bay area traffic jam scene, yes?

Here is the route in 2 parts:

Part 1

Part 2 - Oakley circled in red

Any comments or suggestions greatly appreciated.

-Peter

2004 BCR #36 (sold)
Old 06-20-2007, 08:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
I wanna Live 'til I die!

Send a message via AIM to signit98
...looks like the best choice to me... especially 89 will be very much to your liking! Tioga pass through the park is not bad either.... you'll be stoked!
2005 R1200GS - 20014 KTM690 Enduro - 2011 Husky TE250
Old 06-20-2007, 09:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

One of my favourite places to ride and camp is in the Sierras.

Just came back from there last week.

I prefer Hwy 89 down the west side of Tahoe from Truckee.
Truckee is a nice old town with great food.
If your timing is right there is no traffic at all.
Last year I was on 89 around Tahoe on a Saturday and it was a steady stream of traffic miles long, though.

If you absolutely must see Yosemite your route is fine.
Out of Yosemite on the west to Mariposa is great.

Down 89 out of Markleeville to 395 you will take Monitor Pass which is pretty incredible.

If you want one of the windy twistiest roads in the Sierras, Hwy 4 from Markleeville across Ebetts Pass to Angels Camp is the one I would choose.
I'm sure other will rave about this.
Lots of this road is 1 1/2 lanes wide, no center line with many almost 180 degree steep switchbacks.

Any route you take will usually put you on Hwy 49 [gold rush country}on the west foothills.Stay here as far south as possible.

Crossing the central valley I choose to wind through the smaller county and farm roads rather than the main hwy which can be as busy as Interstates

Have a great trip.
Chris

-chris
Old 06-20-2007, 09:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Check out Pashnit.com California motorcycle roads. A must see.

Great site with tons of photos.

Also if you plan on travelling to NorCal regularly, pick up
Destination Highways Northern California ( pricey? 50-60 $)
They also publish B.C. and Washington State roads.
Great books with a wealth of info from DestinationHighways.com

Sorry dont know how to post links.

-chris
Old 06-20-2007, 09:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Hmmm it will be hard to go wrong choosing roads in this area, but my choices would be:

88 Carson pass - great road, combinations of long sweepers and tighter stuff as you gain elevation. Very nice high mountain lake on this route - great road.

108 - Sonora pass - excellent choice, really the "high" Sieras. This is probalby my favorite route

4 - mentioned above very tight and narrow in places, great views, less traffic (?)

If you want to see Yosimite for the parks sake, the route shown above will not disapoint, but in terms of riding, I think there are better ways across the hills.

If you have more time, a great ride is to go south on 49 towards Fresno and out to 1 on the coast thru Ft Hunter-Legget across the Nacimento-Fergason Rd. The latter is a sinle lane twister up and over the last ridge to the coast. When you come out above the Pacific, the views are incredible. Plus you get to ride north on 1 into Monterey thru Big Sur area just before race weekend.

Regardless it will be a great ride. I will be on one of these roads or another, perhaps I'll see you...
Old 06-21-2007, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

the Monitor pass route is a blast
One thing I would mention....try and ride across the valley through Merced/Los Banos/Hwy152 early in the morning. It gets pretty hot in the valley in July.

Not that there are many other ways to get over to Monterey but that route is pretty boring and sorta desolate (especially near San Luis Resv.) There is Panoche Rd a little farther south but I have no idea what it's like.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the tips so far everyone. Appreciate all the suggestions.

I guess no real nice ride options if I do want to hit Oakley, too far north and have to deal with Bay area traffic right?

Chief: noticed your bike list, I just sold my 87 K75S, man that is a smooth engine. That's the bike I rode to Laguna last summer.
2004 BCR #36 (sold)
Old 06-21-2007, 11:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Barback King

Monitor..short but sweet!
Old 06-21-2007, 11:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Underwater basketweaver

Send a message via AIM to SergioK Send a message via Yahoo to SergioK
You'll love that route. Just did a similar run last month.

Old 06-21-2007, 02:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: