Pelican Parts Forums

Pelican Parts Forums (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/)
-   BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/bmw-r1100s-r1200s-tech-forum/)
-   -   Dunlop Qualifier vs D208 (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/bmw-r1100s-r1200s-tech-forum/353573-dunlop-qualifier-vs-d208.html)

Guest24 06-23-2007 12:10 PM

Dunlop Qualifier vs D208

I just ordered a new Dunlop Qualifier for my S. I chose it to replace the runout D208 because the front tyre is good for one more rear. Has anyone run out a Qualifier that can compare it to the D208?:confused:

throttlemeister 06-23-2007 01:50 PM

No anwer to your question, but why the Qualifier and not the new Qualifier RR. Supposedly (according to the Dunlop rep) more grip dry and wet and longer lasting due to dual compound technology.

Steve Carlton 06-23-2007 03:11 PM

I've had them both. The D208 just feels real nice before it warms up. The Qualifier has more stick than you'll ever need, but didn't last very long. I'm finding the feel of the M3s the best, and they last longer, too.

Guest24 06-23-2007 05:42 PM

The Dunlop Qualifier Race Replica is not available in the US markets as far as I can tell. The Qualifier was the repalcement for the D208ZR. If you have a US source for the RR with good pricing let me know.

throttlemeister 06-23-2007 11:21 PM

I'd have to have a look, but it's weird anyway. Considering the US is Dunlop's largest market with a huge market share, whereas Dunlop has just a tiny market share in EU.

VR4-Quest 06-29-2007 08:05 AM

Grip does seem much better on the Qualifiers vs. the D208. Response is much improved, the point Im double checking pressures wonder whats going on. Almost too darty in some case. I've only had them a few thousand miles, so dont know everything yet. I feel there is less difference warm to cold on these, where the D208's would be pretty slick when cold and warm up nicely. Cant comment on wet performance. Wear looks good so far, but already getting a hint of irregular wear on the fronts like the D208's, so I have a feeling longevity will be worse on the Qualifiers. Ride is diffinitely down. Impacts are sharper and larger than the D208's, but again, maybe some pressure tuning with more seat time will help out. Bottom line, I think from a performance standpoint in terms of handling, grip, etc. they are improved.

gigantic 06-30-2007 03:42 AM

The qualifiers are quite sticky. the only problem I've had with them is that when they go off, they give very little warning. Unlike the Pilot Powers, which will get a little greasy and give you gentle little slides as a reminder that they'd like to be changed, the Qualifiers just went off, unfortunately at about 85mph, in turn 1 at BeaverRun. this was on my GSXR-750, though and the tires had seen about 6 trackdays and god knows how many heat cycles- damage was limited to a ground down foot peg and a broken brake lever. I realized that I'd reached the limits of street tires on the track and promtly switched to DOT Race rubber. heat cycling isn't likely to be much of an issue for most of you guys. as street tires go, they're pretty good and light years ahead of the 208's
Cheers,
Lance