Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Dunlop Qualifier vs D208

I just ordered a new Dunlop Qualifier for my S. I chose it to replace the runout D208 because the front tyre is good for one more rear. Has anyone run out a Qualifier that can compare it to the D208?

Old 06-23-2007, 01:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Do not take too seriously

Garage
No anwer to your question, but why the Qualifier and not the new Qualifier RR. Supposedly (according to the Dunlop rep) more grip dry and wet and longer lasting due to dual compound technology.

http://www.sport-touring.eu | http://eurotravel.photos
Old 06-23-2007, 02:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Thread Killer

I've had them both. The D208 just feels real nice before it warms up. The Qualifier has more stick than you'll ever need, but didn't last very long. I'm finding the feel of the M3s the best, and they last longer, too.
Old 06-23-2007, 04:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The Dunlop Qualifier Race Replica is not available in the US markets as far as I can tell. The Qualifier was the repalcement for the D208ZR. If you have a US source for the RR with good pricing let me know.
Old 06-23-2007, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Do not take too seriously

Garage
I'd have to have a look, but it's weird anyway. Considering the US is Dunlop's largest market with a huge market share, whereas Dunlop has just a tiny market share in EU.

http://www.sport-touring.eu | http://eurotravel.photos
Old 06-24-2007, 12:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Grip does seem much better on the Qualifiers vs. the D208. Response is much improved, the point Im double checking pressures wonder whats going on. Almost too darty in some case. I've only had them a few thousand miles, so dont know everything yet. I feel there is less difference warm to cold on these, where the D208's would be pretty slick when cold and warm up nicely. Cant comment on wet performance. Wear looks good so far, but already getting a hint of irregular wear on the fronts like the D208's, so I have a feeling longevity will be worse on the Qualifiers. Ride is diffinitely down. Impacts are sharper and larger than the D208's, but again, maybe some pressure tuning with more seat time will help out. Bottom line, I think from a performance standpoint in terms of handling, grip, etc. they are improved.
2005, 1988, 1969 Corvette Coupes
1992 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4
Old 06-29-2007, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Biggest Member

Garage
Send a message via AIM to gigantic Send a message via Yahoo to gigantic
The qualifiers are quite sticky. the only problem I've had with them is that when they go off, they give very little warning. Unlike the Pilot Powers, which will get a little greasy and give you gentle little slides as a reminder that they'd like to be changed, the Qualifiers just went off, unfortunately at about 85mph, in turn 1 at BeaverRun. this was on my GSXR-750, though and the tires had seen about 6 trackdays and god knows how many heat cycles- damage was limited to a ground down foot peg and a broken brake lever. I realized that I'd reached the limits of street tires on the track and promtly switched to DOT Race rubber. heat cycling isn't likely to be much of an issue for most of you guys. as street tires go, they're pretty good and light years ahead of the 208's
Cheers,
Lance

Old 06-30-2007, 04:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: