Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

36K too many miles....

Shoulda' learned from Carlton's premature failure. Had the 24k service a couple weeks ago and asked if the belt gets changed. "We don't change them until the 36K", sez he.

Stopped in Ojai this morning for gas and something to drink. Saw something laying on the right side cylinder, a black rubberized thread that I recognized right away. A piece of the alternator belt. Figured I'd install the spare belt that I bought at the 24k service when I got home. My intention was to tuck it away under the seat somewhere for emergency purposes but never got around to it. It's about 58 miles home, but the belt was still intact and the light was showing a charge. Thought I could make it, no problem - NOT. Belt failed about 2 miles later with another 56 miles to go. I remember Carlton's battery lasting about 25 miles, so I was thinking the closer to home the cheaper the tow. Shut off the radar detector (not much good anyway, I've been seeing the CHP playing with instant ON radar down here for about a month now) and pulled the connector off the headlamp and went for it.

I can't believe I made it. Over 55 miles, about an hour, and there was still enough juice to crank and start the engine in the garage. Not bad. Here's what it looked like.

Now busy installing new belt.

Last edited by tm1100s; 06-23-2007 at 02:35 PM..
Old 06-23-2007, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Underwater basketweaver

Send a message via AIM to SergioK Send a message via Yahoo to SergioK
Wow, over an hour running on the battery. Nice save!

This reminds me, I gotta change my alt belt.

And yeah, CHP lit me up with instant-on when coming into Big Sur last month.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Thread Killer

I rode mine quite a few miles before we disconnected the headlight, then rode quite a few more. Don't remember the total. I think the replacement interval is 30K. They say failures before that are rare, but why chance it? Replace them 20% early and avoid the hassles. Same with a battery. Why push it?
Old 06-23-2007, 04:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I think the factory torques the belts WAY tight.You want the belt just tight enough so they don't slip.Too tight or too sloppy, both recipes for premature failure.
Old 06-23-2007, 04:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Man it's flat out here!

Garage
From my MSWord Logfile:

26SEP2005 - @31218 Miles I replaced the Alternator Belt. The old Belt had the same supplier part number "BMW 11.28 - 1341 779 - 103059 4 PK 611 SR CONTITECH ● 5 >CR<" as the new belt except these 6 digits were different "103059"…perhaps a batch number?

I torqued the belt tension to the 8 Newton Meter spec. I can twist the belt ~90° between the pulley wheels. I'll keep the old belt as a spare to take on trips because it looks hardly used.

While turning the lower Pulley counter-clockwise, the Bolt securing it to the Crankshaft came loose. I put the Transmission in 4th Gear, pushed down on the Rear Brake Pedal, and applied the specified 50 N•m (37 lb•ft) of Torque to the Pulley Bolt.

I also disconnected and re-connected the Fuel Pump Connector several times to remove Contact oxidation. I then went for a short test ride and all seems fine.
"What I've tried to do in the two books I've done, Signature in the Cell and Darwin's Doubt, is to show just how weak the materialist's hand is in explaining the key events in the history of life. ... We would encourage people to roll up their sleeves, do their homework on this." Stephen Meyer PHD
Old 06-23-2007, 07:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Tony,
looks like you got lucky to get home.
You better check cindy's or she will be UP set.
cya
jeff

95 R100RT Classic, a keeper
Old 06-23-2007, 10:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: