Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Dismembered

Nate's racing again

For all those who may be interested, Nate is (to my great surprise) racing again. I just returned from VIR where he placed 2nd in the ASRA Thunderbike competition (he qualified 1st yesterday). He's not in the best of shape, but he is out there and he is racing & winning. Good luck Nate!

P.S. Spent some time talking to Wild Will, about bikes, the universe and everything. Great guy; exercise the meet & greet option if you have the opportunity.

2012 Ducati Multistrada Pikes Peak (#072)
"It is difficult to get the news from poems, yet men die miserably every day from lack of what is found there" WC Williams
Old 06-24-2007, 07:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
I wanna Live 'til I die!

Send a message via AIM to signit98
....just think what he'll be doing once he's back in shape
2005 R1200GS - 20014 KTM690 Enduro - 2011 Husky TE250
Old 06-24-2007, 08:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Uh....who me?

Craig,
I had to leave Sunday morning....great to watch his pole and win on Saturday....was wondering how he did on Sunday. How many times did he race on Sunday? I took some pics of the two days I was there meeting and greeting a fine team. Cool to hang in the pit garage with Nate and Paul and Todd and Will and to meet the many supporters who drove from as far away as New York, New Jersey and Maryland. Also obvious that the crew at VIR thinks a lot of Nate....including the track tour in the VIR van we took on Friday, as well as two parade laps with all the BMW riders lined up behind Nate on his race bike on Saturday. Dining arranged by the hospitality ladies was also pretty special, especially for those of us not accustomed to such first class treatment. Now I gotta get in a track day there...what a lovely track....pretty intense though with two blind turns one of which is on the front "straight"! So you can imagine what a joy it was to see Nate passing the timid there. That R1200S at full chat is a thing of beauty. Pics to follow when I get a chance.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Hancock
Now I gotta get in a track day there...what a lovely track....pretty intense though with two blind turns one of which is on the front "straight"! So you can imagine what a joy it was to see Nate passing the timid there.
gald to hear nate is back out there. VIR is a great track. the kink on the front straight is a hoot. you roll over on the side of the tire just to hear your engine run out of revs. not sure i would recommend passing at the kink too often with timid riders, they have been known to fly off the track. if you stay to the inside rather than outside, if they go off, they dont take you with them.

repoe3
2004 R1100SBX
Old 06-25-2007, 04:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Regnat populus

Garage
BMW Roundel THIS IS GREAT

GReetings,

Nates back!

THIS IS GREAT!

Good Luck Nate!

Robert Foster

FOSTER RAD
LASER Engineering Exhaust Systems
RapidBike USA
Oakland Gardens, NY
Robert@FosterRAD.com
718-468-4680

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Dismembered

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Hancock
Craig,
I had to leave Sunday morning.....
I'm really sorry to have missed you! I didn't arrive till after 10 Sunday am. I spent most of my time watching the races from Morton's hospitality tent near T3. Nate & most of his crew came by to hang out as well. It was interesting to hear Nate's commentary on the riding styles/tactics as the racers negoiated the track in front of us. Do let me know next time you're up this way so maybe we can hook up.
2012 Ducati Multistrada Pikes Peak (#072)
"It is difficult to get the news from poems, yet men die miserably every day from lack of what is found there" WC Williams
Old 06-25-2007, 06:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Old 06-25-2007, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
I wanna Live 'til I die!

Send a message via AIM to signit98
...Hey N8!... is that your PT on your side?

...good on you, glad to see you honor that number plate you have on your bike.... keep it up!
2005 R1200GS - 20014 KTM690 Enduro - 2011 Husky TE250
Old 06-25-2007, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Way to go N8! Yes it is good to see that you are back at it. Bob is correct about the thing of beauty seeing a modern Beemer leading a fleet of Asian machines!!
Old 06-25-2007, 03:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

When perusing sites last week I noticed his name on the Moto-ST roster for the Road America race. Now I have to figure out what to do between a Milwaukee to Minneapolis run, or to go see the races.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Depending on the nature of the Miluakee run, go to the races.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Well, the M2M run is really, really sweet and a lot of fun. I tend to have more fun riding than standing to see bikes go through one or two corners at RA. I even passed on AMA Superbike this year and wasn't really disappointed that I was missing it (and it rained).

Though, RA does open their pits up to such an accessibe level that it would be a really cool op to see the bikes of some big name riders up close. And I know a local guy racing, too. I dunno. Probably depend on what is falling from the sky and where it's falling.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Uh....who me?

Anyone know how Nate did Sunday?
Old 06-25-2007, 04:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Man it's flat out here!

Garage
It's good to see pics of Nate wearing his new Leathers! He's lookin sharp!
"What I've tried to do in the two books I've done, Signature in the Cell and Darwin's Doubt, is to show just how weak the materialist's hand is in explaining the key events in the history of life. ... We would encourage people to roll up their sleeves, do their homework on this." Stephen Meyer PHD
Old 06-25-2007, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

SignIt, Robert, Bob, GotRoad, Bill, lol everyone, hello and thank youse so much for just awesome support! It goes very far as you can see. Adrenaline is a wonderful thing! I am still beside myself about taking the pole and setting a new track record for the Natl. Thunderbike class. After quaifying everyone was all ecstatic as i pulled in, I figured 5th or 6th. I could not get e clean lap and finally after waiting for a lap for someone fast to come by for a tow, I just said "if Im gonna be on the front row I have to do it myself". We did. The one single lap I just thought about every corner, talked to myself throughout the lap and the single lap with no draft did it for us!

The win in CCS Thunderbike was only because of the BMW riders in T4. The second, third, 4th, and 6th laps were under the pole time and broke the existing Tbike record I set earllier. The BMW riders were just in force and 2 laps to go there was just so much pressure and pain in my knee, to look up before the turn and see everyone cheering proved to me we could withstand more! lol

Go karts that evening with all the BMW riders was so much fun! Wild Will was flying and is an amazing person! This friend from California flew out and had a chacne to see first hand what a community of BMW riders we have from all over! I cannot wait to come out West and see the guys from the Pelican Parts board and Motorcyclist Cafe, great supporters!

Supertwins Sunday I rode my backup bike as i keep neglecting it and not getting it set up. I went out on it and I will come clean, lol, I told my mechanics and a few folks, but the steering dampner broke because of me! I was just a bit giddy and wanted a really crossed up wheelie coming out of 3 up to 4. I started it off with my kee just off the ground and my wrist was so taxe from the day before, lol, I could not shut off as quicky as I needed to and it sat down crossed all the way up and on the gas...... I can laugh now but not then. Little did I know I snapped the steering dampner clean off the telelever arm. I found out as i was battling for the lead with a 999r mounted rider and with the knee on the deck it was slapping feverishly and then about 5 times per lap. On lap 3 i looked down thinking why is the damn dampner not dampning!? It was just dangling. I backed it off to 4th.

ASRA Tbike was just a dogfight from the start. The way scrapping was done early, i knew and had a serious hunch something was not right. Holeshot, led up to 4, Estok slipped by, and from there I realized I just did not have the endurance after the 6 weeks off after 2 surgeries. I parked it in 7 and 3rd and 4th went by. I just sat backed and watched what I just knew was going to unfold. I told my team I had a feeling before due to the way they were riding that morning and waht was said the night before about a BMW being back up front after a 6 week hiatus! lol

SO, it happened, Bilanksy (heck of a rider!) just plowed the front way to deep into 7 on the next lap collecting Brian and they both wnet down hard (both ok!). SO whew, 2nd place now and just maintain it. I was fading, I will admit it. Then a wheel snuck up next to me and I looked over and I was like man, who is this?! Arnie got by riding eratically, i just figured it was an easy pace so I will just sit back and draft him to the line to regain 2nd. Well, again being a wimp, I let the femur bruise get the best of me, I went wide in 3 after repassing 2nd cause I thought he would go a little deeper. He took the bait so i could get back into cruise mode. Then tucked the front in T4 right in front of Morton's BMW's hospitality tent. From there 2nd place was just handed over again.

Thanmk you Morton's BMW and BMW MC of Atlanta for one of the best weekends ever all things considered.

So many people to thank, friends from HS, Lynda, Tyler and the Sinnwell family, Elsie, BOB, Tina, all the great kids that just give me so much more energy! Such a great turn out with so many people having fun...... priceless!

N8!
Old 06-25-2007, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Uh....who me?

So there you have it.

And you said this wasn't going to be a real racing weekend, just a time to get back on the bike.
For those of you who couldn't be there, here are a few pics of the place.
Nate had the first two garages, and most of us stayed in the suites upstairs. What a great place to live. Here's what greeted you when you came up.

Inside was clean and new and they even let me keep my donkey bike inside.

Of course things were busy with Will dancin and Nate directin'

and wrenches swingin'....here's Paul at work. I think I heard him say under his breath, "rightie tightie, leftie loosie" or somethin' like that.

Last edited by Bob Hancock; 06-25-2007 at 06:19 PM..
Old 06-25-2007, 05:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Man it's flat out here!

Garage
Cool Jack Stands under the Cylinders!...whodathunkit!
"What I've tried to do in the two books I've done, Signature in the Cell and Darwin's Doubt, is to show just how weak the materialist's hand is in explaining the key events in the history of life. ... We would encourage people to roll up their sleeves, do their homework on this." Stephen Meyer PHD
Old 06-25-2007, 05:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Uh....who me?

In the mean time friends and kids came by to visit. Nate was always available to talk to folks....especially the chillin's.

Of course there was tech inspection. Paul, Todd and Will with an ASRA Will Inspector.

And then Nate and Will had to get inspected for the TwoUpScooter Class.

Afraid I didn't see this race cos it was very important I get another cup of coffee.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Sideshow_S
When perusing sites last week I noticed his name on the Moto-ST roster for the Road America race. Now I have to figure out what to do between a Milwaukee to Minneapolis run, or to go see the races.
Go to RA. The CCS ASRA USGPRU and MotoST weekend will be quite different than a AMA weekend. If you stand in one place too long you might find yourself drafted into helping get bikes up on stands and other hands on fun.

It is great to read that N8 is well enough to ride. Fingers crossed, we may make it out to the Iowa MotoST round.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Uh....who me?

Then Nate put some tight leather clothes on

and left for awhile.

Since I didn't get any really good pics of Nate on the track I can't show any. Hope someone else pipes up. Meanwhile, Will got a distant look on his face...muttering something about "Deans white socks". Very zen I thought.

Then we ran a bike on the dyno. This one made 107.

Someone suggested we go eat, at the on track Oak Tree Tavern, which I thought was a fine idea, my stomach thinking maybe my throat had been cut. I sat with Erika and her husband what's his name This is a purdy girl here y'all!

Old 06-25-2007, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: