Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Fuel line quick-disconnect / hose size???

Gonna install the fuel hose quick-disconnectors and wondering if anyone know the hose sizes for the fittings. Trying to pick up the fittings before starting the alternator belt replacement today.

thanks,

Old 06-26-2007, 08:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I too thought about installing quick disconnects on my bike but someone on this forum made two good points:

1. How often do you plan to go under your tank? I changed my chip but other than that the only time I plan to remove the tank is to replace the fuel filter which isn't all that often.

2. Do you want to worry about o-rings going bad? You'll need to keep on top of the o-rings on the quick disconnects to make sure they aren't cracking or leaking.

Considering I don't have much of a need to get under the tank for any work, I opted not to install them.

Just thought I'd pass this along as it was passed onto me.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

These two threads should have what you're looking for:

Fuel tank hose quick disconnects

Fuel Line Quick Release
Old 06-26-2007, 09:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
time wasting tosser

Quote:
Originally posted by feds27
1. How often do you plan to go under your tank? I changed my chip but other than that the only time I plan to remove the tank is to replace the fuel filter which isn't all that often.
do you ever plan on changing out the battery, or how about routing wires for accessories. I can think of a lot of reasons to take the tank off. I was just working on my starter and removed the tank for the job. No that I needed to, but because I could because I had the quick disconnects which made it real easy, and it gave me a chance to inspect other things while the bike was open. also gave me the chance to find the washer that I dropped and lost in the bike somewhere

a better reason not to would be that you have the dealer do all your work for you. if you do any work yourself, its a cheap investment.

Last edited by Highlander179; 06-26-2007 at 12:02 PM..
Old 06-26-2007, 09:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
I wanna Live 'til I die!

Send a message via AIM to signit98
...without the quick disconnects, you'll always have to worry about the upper line to spill gas all over... you'll have to plug it quickly.

I'll also make an external fuel filter easier to deal with... IMHO.
2005 R1200GS - 20014 KTM690 Enduro - 2011 Husky TE250
Old 06-26-2007, 12:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

sizes

the fuel line is 8mm I.D. and the correct fittings are 8mm or 5/16" barb hose connections, available from a number of sources, also available in plastic or metal. there have been problems with the plastic ones. the factory ones are plastic and made by a company with the name of "Colder"

i currently have a set of each on the shelf with shutoff in both ends and am deliberating if/when and which ones to install.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Highlander179
do you ever plan on changing out the battery, or how about routing wires for accessories. I can think of a lot of reasons to take the tank off.
Disagree. No need to remove the tank unless you need to work on ... the tank. See this post for an alternate way to do the things you mentioned without spilling gas or introducing a new (potential) leak source.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/bmw-r1100s-r1200s-tech-forum/337979-best-performance-bang-500-investment-post3186549.html#post3186549
2004 BCR #36 (sold)
Old 06-26-2007, 02:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

What I was looking for.

thanks,
Old 06-26-2007, 06:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
time wasting tosser

Quote:
Originally posted by peterz
Disagree. No need to remove the tank unless you need to work on ... the tank. See this post for an alternate way to do the things you mentioned without spilling gas or introducing a new (potential) leak source.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=3186549#post3186549
theres a guy around here that does that same trick. maybe he has the other half of your ass?
Old 06-26-2007, 09:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Do the BMW quick disconnects cut fuel flow when opened?

-chris
Old 06-26-2007, 10:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Highlander179
theres a guy around here that does that same trick. maybe he has the other half of your ass?
Actually in my case it's not a "trick". It just works. Can't speak for the other guy, sorry.
2004 BCR #36 (sold)
Old 06-26-2007, 11:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Do not take too seriously

Garage
Maybe it's just me, but when I do maintenance on my bike I remove all parts that could possibly be in the way and make life harder first before I start doing any real work. That includes the gas tank. I put everything I removed back only when I am done. Hanging the gas tank over on one side on top of the head that I still need to adjust the valves for does not do it for it.

I like working clean and structured. Moving stuff back and forth whenever you need access to a certain area does not follow my idea of structured methods.

Working structured and methodical in a clean environment prevents **** ups, minor mistakes and simply forgetting things.

Putting the tank on the side is just hacking for quick access to me. Which is fine if that is what you need, but for anything more, see previous line.

http://www.sport-touring.eu | http://eurotravel.photos
Old 06-27-2007, 01:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Man it's flat out here!

Garage
I lay the Tank on the RH Cylinder too...I've done it 3 or 4 times now. I'm always looking for the shortcuts that same me time and unnecessary headaches.
"What I've tried to do in the two books I've done, Signature in the Cell and Darwin's Doubt, is to show just how weak the materialist's hand is in explaining the key events in the history of life. ... We would encourage people to roll up their sleeves, do their homework on this." Stephen Meyer PHD
Old 06-27-2007, 04:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
I wanna Live 'til I die!

Send a message via AIM to signit98
Quote:
Originally posted by R111S
I lay the Tank on the RH Cylinder too...I've done it 3 or 4 times now. I'm always looking for the shortcuts that same me time and unnecessary headaches.
...there's the other half!

Wait til the tank slides of and kinks or rips the plasic tube that leads to the pressure regulator... talking about headaches!!!
2005 R1200GS - 20014 KTM690 Enduro - 2011 Husky TE250
Old 06-27-2007, 04:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Tough crowd in this thread.

Maybe you guys think the suggestion was to just lay the tank on the cyl head hanging by the fuel lines? That would be hacky. If you read the whole post you'll see there's more. Note the two bungie chords fixing the tank to the front and rear frames. Very solid and the tank won't be going anywhere any time soon.

Used to be a real drag having to remove the tank on my old K75S everytime I needed to access the wiring underneath it. Glad to see the R11S is a little more friendly in that regard.

If you want to to remove the tank every time you need to access underneath it, go for it. We all have our own comfort levels I guess.

Also tm, not sure why you need to remove the tank to adjust the valves, overkill in my book. But whatever...

2004 BCR #36 (sold)
Old 06-27-2007, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Man it's flat out here!

Garage
Here's my leaning tank pic as well...Oh look out!
"What I've tried to do in the two books I've done, Signature in the Cell and Darwin's Doubt, is to show just how weak the materialist's hand is in explaining the key events in the history of life. ... We would encourage people to roll up their sleeves, do their homework on this." Stephen Meyer PHD
Old 06-27-2007, 06:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Do not take too seriously

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by peterz
[B]Also tm, not sure why you need to remove the tank to adjust the valves, overkill in my book. But whatever...
Full maintenance usually requires more than valve adjustments. Some of which are easier with the tank gone.

Like I said, I prefer to disassemble, work on the bike and reassemble. Having the tank parked on the head while I still need to do a valve job requires me to partly reassemble while working on the bike. Which opens the oppertunity to forget something, possibly requiring disassembly again. Just my way of working on the bike. Strip it all off, work on it, put it back together.

http://www.sport-touring.eu | http://eurotravel.photos
Old 06-27-2007, 09:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

Tha's a pretty good idea, PeterZ. Nice job.

'07 CBR600RR
Old 06-28-2007, 03:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: