Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Etymonics or the Shure EC3's (Ebay is good) are sweet. Earplugs and earbuds at the same time.

The mp3 players built into the GPS units are making me veer toward getting one. It's just one less thing I carry now that could go on the dash. I've been lost in my own city and state enough to want the quick way out. Playing with a nuvi a couple weeks ago realized the fact that you have Google Maps equivalent at your fingertips. I'm scoping around for a 2730 or 2820 now.

Old 06-27-2007, 10:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
R1100S 2.0

Send a message via AIM to DeltaNu1142 Send a message via Yahoo to DeltaNu1142
Quote:
Originally posted by Sideshow_S
Etymonics or the Shure EC3's (Ebay is good) are sweet. Earplugs and earbuds at the same time...I'm scoping around for a 2730 or 2820 now.

You won't be disappointed. CNET's lowest price for the 2820 is $678 at the moment, but you'll find a better buy on eBay. Also get a hardwire adapter so you can leave the cigarette lighter adapter in the car (the speaker won't do you much good anyway) and just drop in the GPS unit.
As for the navigation, I rarely use the hard buttons. You can switch between MP3 player, nav & phone & find all the destinations you're after with the touchscreen. The sewn fingertip seam of a well-fitting leather glove works just fine.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Thanks for all of the input. Based on your comments, I think I will forget about the Quest and concentrate on the Zumo, 2720 or 2820.

Does anyone care to provide some details about the MP3 player set up? How much memory is available to store MP3 files and how do you load them into the unit? Does MP3 memory compete with the memory for routes that you load into the unit?

What about the satellite radio? Is it easy to operate?

Thanks again, I really appreciate the opportunity to take advantage of your experience!

Oilhead
Old 06-28-2007, 03:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Underwater basketweaver

Send a message via AIM to SergioK Send a message via Yahoo to SergioK
The 2820 will go into two different modes when you connect it to your PC. It will go into either Garmin mode or USB Mass Storage mode. In Garmin mode, the unit will interface with the Mapsource program to xfer routes, waypoints, etc. In USB Mass Storage mode, it works just like any other USB storage device so that portion will show up as another drive. You can then drag and drop your MP3s into it. IIRC it has about 700mb of space.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
R1100S 2.0

Send a message via AIM to DeltaNu1142 Send a message via Yahoo to DeltaNu1142
Here are a couple of images from the previous version of Garmin MapSource of a route captured with the 2820:

Old 06-29-2007, 03:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: