Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Soliciting GPS recommendations

I have been looking at GPS devices for my motorcycle, and have been pretty impressed with the Garmin Quest 2. Does anyone have experience with the Quest or Quest 2 for their motorcycle?

The one feature that I'm not too keen on with the Quest is the speaker on the power plug. What's up with that? Can you still get voice directions through an on-bike communication set up like Autocom with the Quest?

Also, if you have a favorite GPS for motorcycle use, I would also be interested in your comments.

My main requirements are:
- Less than $500 USD for the GPS unit itself (not including mounting device)
- Waterproof
- Re-routing capability

Any information you would like to share would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-26-2007, 02:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ExarKunONe Send a message via Skype™ to ExarKunONe
I have the Quest. I like it except for what you mentioned about the speaker on the power cord I'm assuming that you can rip open the box and cord and wire your own headset in but I have'nt tried. I wonder if the newer gps units are faster at recalculating routes for when you miss your turn. If you miss it with the quest you usually need to pull over and wait for it to calculate. Also its made for the road so geocaching with it is a bit difficult. The cool thing about it though is that you can pull it off the bike and carry it around with you
Old 06-26-2007, 02:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I was just looking at the Garmin Zumo 450 on a website. These things are going for about $500 OTD. They are the same as the Zumo 550 without the bluetooth capabilities. I have no less than 6 gps systems at home right now (all are primarily for offroad use), but for a street bike I really like the capabilities of the Zumo.
Check it out, it looks like a great system.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Underwater basketweaver

Send a message via AIM to SergioK Send a message via Yahoo to SergioK
I've had the 2610 and currently have both the 2720 & 2820. I picked up the 2820 used for $500 just recently. Anyway, if you don't care for using the GPS away from the vehicle, these units are pretty good. If you want internal batteries on the unit, then yeah, either the Zumo or the Quest 2.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to stephen914
Garmin 2730

Comes preloaded with all of north america, has an MP3 player and XM satellitle built in, and is waterproof. I've seen them just about $499. Failing that I would recommend the 2610. Thats what I have.

2000 R1100S
Ztechnick exhust
FosterRad Fuel Chip
Ohlins F&R
BMW MOA#125237

http://empeg9000.blogspot.com/
Old 06-26-2007, 05:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I had the Quest2 and sent it back for the Zumo 550. Quest2 screen is not nearly as bright as the Zumo. You cannot move the screen around live with the Quest2. Quest2 processor is way slower than the Zumo, Zumo has Garmins fastest processor in it.

I do like the size of the Quest2, it is great if you do business travel....but overall, I found it menus way harder to navigate than the Zumo.

For what its worth, especially if budget is not the primary consideration, I think the Zumo is a much better route to go......pun intended

Robert
Old 06-26-2007, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to motoman
What's up with the Nuvi? That one seems pretty hot lately, and easily moved from car to bike.

< = > Less is More.

If you think you know it all, you obviously don't know anything.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I got a Streetpilot 2720 two months ago new for $360 at amazon. Is water proof. I'm very happy with it.
2004 BCR. Sold
Old 06-26-2007, 07:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Do not take too seriously

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by motoman
What's up with the Nuvi? That one seems pretty hot lately, and easily moved from car to bike.
Nuvi is not waterproof, Quest/zumo/26xx/27xx/28xx/etc are. That makes the Nuvi totally useless on a bike.

http://www.sport-touring.eu | http://eurotravel.photos
Old 06-26-2007, 08:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garmin 450. working very well.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
R1100S 2.0

Send a message via AIM to DeltaNu1142 Send a message via Yahoo to DeltaNu1142
Quote:
Originally posted by SergioK
I've had the 2610 and currently have both the 2720 & 2820. I picked up the 2820 used for $500 just recently.
+1 on the 2820
Although I haven't decided which way to go on helmet integration, this unit will give you nav with TTL that announces street names & locations (rather than "take your next right," it's "take a right on Howard Avenue"), along with MP3 playback & phone w/bluetooth all in one unit. I'm pretty happy with it for both car & bike use.

Old 06-27-2007, 02:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Underwater basketweaver

I wired my helmet with a Chatterbox full face speaker/mic kit and wired up my own mini-DIN plug. This all goes to a Mix-it2 audio mixer where the V1 also goes in. It all works pretty seamless. The wire isn't that big of a deal and the few times I've gotten off the bike and forgot to disconnect, the mini-din simply pulls apart without damaging the wiring.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
R1100S 2.0

Quote:
Originally posted by SergioK
I wired my helmet with a Chatterbox full face speaker/mic kit and wired up my own mini-DIN plug. This all goes to a Mix-it2 audio mixer where the V1 also goes in. It all works pretty seamless. The wire isn't that big of a deal and the few times I've gotten off the bike and forgot to disconnect, the mini-din simply pulls apart without damaging the wiring.
I was going to go the same way with the mini-DIN Intaride headset I bought. I just haven't installed it yet... and if I can find a reasonably-priced BT headset, I'd go wireless in a second.
Oilhead, the Streetpilot 2820 (and maybe ALL of the SPs) have the speaker integrated into the plug, but has separate mic & headphone plugs. The way to go with audio is into your helmet, regardless.

EDIT: I just stumbled across the Sony Ericsson HBH-DS970 stereo bluetooth headset. Beware the $30 Hong Kong fakes on eBay... when I find a reasonably-priced real one I'll probably take the plunge & try it alone or solder on the Intaride helmet headset.

Last edited by DeltaNu1142; 06-27-2007 at 09:12 AM..
Old 06-27-2007, 06:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Assuming you're dedicating it to bike use, I'd get one of the Zumos. Even small things like putting the buttons on the left side can make a big difference in useability and this unit is designed for motorcycling.

That being said, I'm soldiering on with my 60Cx which is just an incredibly versatile unit in all roles - road, car, hiking, bicycliing, whatever. I detest power dongles so I run on AA's - with a RAM mount, popping it out of the mount and into my tank bag is literally a 5-second deal. But it the dedicated motorcycling mission, you do have to look past the small/dim screen and it takes a while to work through some of the glitches in how it exchanges routes with MapSource.

The Qwest2 appeal is that you get the unit with a good built-in database, so it's a really good value for the money. But today, I'd spring the extra for the Zumo.

- Mark
Old 06-27-2007, 10:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ExarKunONe Send a message via Skype™ to ExarKunONe
How are you guys keeping your headsets on when putting on your helmet? Also if you use a headset do you wear earplugs?
Old 06-27-2007, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
R1100S 2.0

Quote:
Originally posted by ExarKunONe
How are you guys keeping your headsets on when putting on your helmet? Also if you use a headset do you wear earplugs?
My headset IS earplugs... check out Etymotics. I think it's the closest thing to having a 3.5mm input jack installed in your cerebral cortex. The sound is impossibly clear & even at low volume all outside noise fades away. There are inherent safety issues in using this kind of earbud on a bike, and I want to acknowledge that before someone else does... but my intention is to wire those into a bluetooth pendant along with maybe a helmet-mounted mic for use with GPS, phone, music, intercom...
Old 06-27-2007, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Underwater basketweaver

I wear earplugs (Max NNR 32) thus the need for the audio mixer. I wired my helmet up with the chatterbox headset (between the padding and the padding sheath in my Shoei). I don't listen to music while riding so all I care for are the Ka beeps (V1) and direction prompts from the 2820.

As for the small quarks with Mapsource and the GPS, it takes some getting used to but it also helps to know how the routing logic 'recalculates' routes on both the GPS and PC.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by ExarKunONe
I have speakers built into my helmet, and I do wear earplugs. Putting your helmet on/off is no problem this way, it is very convenient and it is cheap. Headset to built into my helmet for use with my 2720 was 25 bucks.

Old 06-27-2007, 12:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
R1100S 2.0

Quote:
Originally posted by throttlemeister
I have speakers built into my helmet, and I do wear earplugs. Putting your helmet on/off is no problem this way, it is very convenient and it is cheap. Headset to built into my helmet for use with my 2720 was 25 bucks.
TM, how do handle the wires connected from your helmet to your GPS unit? I was thinking of locating a jack somewhere near the stock Powerlet location (I guess I think of mine as the stock location--behind my left thigh) before I decided on going wireless.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
The battery powercord for the 2720 has a jack connector for speakers builtin and I have a waterproof mini-DIN connector in the wire going there from my helmet. If I don't have my GPS on, I have a piece of wire about 6" long hanging from the side of my helmet. That's long enogh to be able to see what you're doing (just) when plugging in the cable with your helmet on, and short enough not to even notice it without.

The wire plugging in my helmet is a curled wire so it is doesn't dangle all over the place, while still providing length when needed.

All in all, it works great, gives very good sound and it's a very convenient solution for me.

My kit. (25 euro)

Kit for the 2820, with stereo sound for the MP3 player, and mic to operate with a BT phone. (45 euro)

Hey, it works for me.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: