Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Anyone tried Laverda?

Dear fellow Pelicanites, I don't ride BMW's but I got a hint that I should post my question here.

I'm hell bent to buy a vintage Laverda. It's a tricked out 1200cc Mirage from 78.

Bike has 36mm carbs (32mm are standard), 3-1 race exhaust collector, Norris race cams and Ohlins dampers. It also has 180 deg. crank (1-2-3-miss) but I really like the sound. Engine has been rebuilt recently.

Any hints on what to think about before purchase are welcome.

Old 06-29-2007, 03:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Though I never owned a Laverda or a Tryanasaurus Rex for that matter I am sure there are many good reasons both are extinct .Type BMW R1100S on EBAY and live happily ever after
Old 06-29-2007, 03:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Nope. I want this one. It's a beast and sounds like nothing else. Laverdas are still around but only as twins.

I respect you choice of BMW's as a bike and I'm sure it's better bike but this is just like owning wintage Porsche. Just for fun.

Last edited by beepbeep; 06-29-2007 at 03:53 AM..
Old 06-29-2007, 03:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Your welcome, and good luck it looks like a real beast .I must admit I was in love with the Jota in the early 80 s
Old 06-29-2007, 04:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Always been a fan of the Jota. Saw one at Phillip Island last year and it was seriously glorious. You would want to have a fair bit of experience with the wrenches, I reckon.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Well it seems they aren't so fragile like other italians. They are made by guy who builds harvesters, you know. There is nothing there...just 2 valves per cylinder, two camshafts and three carbs. Ignition is replaced with better stuff.

I have extensive expirience with fueling and will probably try install fuel injection (have one MSII on shelf).
Old 06-29-2007, 04:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

It looks like a fun project, I almost bought one of the RGS triples when they first came out. There is a guy in western Canada that supplys Laverda parts worldwide & an active owners club. Can you register something like that in Sweden? I thought they were pretty strict about noise & modifications.
65, 66 Alfa Romeos
Old 06-29-2007, 05:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Check the starter on Laverdas. They're probably the only weak point, at least on the earlier 70s ones I've worked on. Some of the old Denso ones were near one offs (old Fs and SFCs) and when they go, you're in trouble. I'm trying to solve that problem for a guy now. No luck just yet.

Good luck
Roger

OnRoad OffRoad Cycles, Austin, TX: BMW, Ital, Suspension, Electrics
Dealer for K-Tech, JRI, GP Suspension, Penske, Öhlins, RaceTech, Elka, Wilbers, IKON & Works
www.ororcycle.com

CMRA EXPERT #841
Various Formula 5, 6 & 7 championships 2006-2012

A3, Navigator,
Old 06-29-2007, 05:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by roger albert
Check the starter on Laverdas. They're probably the only weak point, at least on the earlier 70s ones I've worked on. Some of the old Denso ones were near one offs (old Fs and SFCs) and when they go, you're in trouble. I'm trying to solve that problem for a guy now. No luck just yet.

Good luck
Roger
Thank you for your input.

I also heard that early inductive Bosch ignition system was unreliable. This one has it replaced with newer type.

This is how they sound like:
http://www.richtea.demon.co.uk/laverda/sounds/jota1000.wav

Last edited by beepbeep; 06-29-2007 at 06:39 AM..
Old 06-29-2007, 06:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
I wanna Live 'til I die!

Send a message via AIM to signit98
...A Laverda was my first love... and will ALWAYS have a place in my Heart... I have been trying to buy it back for years now! They were good motorcycles... relatively reliable for Italians of the time.

The only thing you'll run into, is the parts Issue, I think... the valves have little caps and then buckets on top of them... the cams run over the buckets... the play is adjusted with the caps... to tight, grind them down, to loose, get a higher one... finding those might be your biggest issue though they are not unlike the shims on the Duc engines... you might be able to Frankenstein something there is really needed

The engine is an animal... a wild one at that will provide for a lot of fun...plenty of grunt and cultivated where it counts...

GO FOR IT!
2005 R1200GS - 20014 KTM690 Enduro - 2011 Husky TE250
Old 06-29-2007, 06:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

I work for GM dealership and there are plenty of mechanics who ride the bikes. If caps are hard to find, heck, I will manufacture a set
Old 06-29-2007, 07:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Perfect. I assume the beast comes with the lathe in the background? It's a cool looking machine. Would be glad to have it myself. Have fun.

OnRoad OffRoad Cycles, Austin, TX: BMW, Ital, Suspension, Electrics
Dealer for K-Tech, JRI, GP Suspension, Penske, Öhlins, RaceTech, Elka, Wilbers, IKON & Works
www.ororcycle.com

CMRA EXPERT #841
Various Formula 5, 6 & 7 championships 2006-2012

A3, Navigator,
Old 06-29-2007, 07:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Location: Purgatory: Heaven won't take me and Hell's afraid I'll take over
One of the shops I usta work brought the "interesting" trades to my stall before they cut a deal...

A Laverda showed up once. I don't recall the year, 72?, or model.
But it was cool. DOHC triple, Del Orto's, Brembo's, bone stock roadster.

Of course I told 'em don't take it in ... or ... buy it cheap. They did the latter and I snatched it.

Did nothing but ride it for a summer. I don't think I even checked the oil. Neat bike, a little heavy, but smooth, pipey power 'tho.

Sorry I don't remember much. Expensive women and cheap whiskey, perhaps? Or is it the other way ...?

In fact, I don't even remember what I did with it ... it's not here ... do you have it?
Old 06-29-2007, 08:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

The Mirage is the one that always pulls the least money,i've no idea why,if it is a Mirage,it originated in the UK,as they were only Built by Slater Brothers in Collington near Bromyard here in the UK,the shops still going.

Jotas,both versions fetch big bucks here in the Uk,a good one will go for 10,000 US at least.

The only reason i take an interest,i've had a Dutch friend who's ridden nothing else since the early 80's.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Love the Jota cool bike
1150 cylinders 12:1 pistons/ race cams, Lennies induct, Laser Boxercup II Exhaust, Ohlins shocks, Dymag Carbon Fiber Five Spoke wheels, Crossover tube removed, heads ported and polished Bigger valves installed intake and exhaust! SJ power filter, motoyoyo clamps , HID
Old 06-29-2007, 03:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Canning
The Mirage is the one that always pulls the least money,i've no idea why,if it is a Mirage,it originated in the UK,as they were only Built by Slater Brothers in Collington near Bromyard here in the UK,the shops still going.

Jotas,both versions fetch big bucks here in the Uk,a good one will go for 10,000 US at least.

The only reason i take an interest,i've had a Dutch friend who's ridden nothing else since the early 80's.
Yeah, Mirage were detuned Jota's with more cubes. But this one is "tuned Mirage"....practically a Jota with 200cc more.

I concur, it's a little of a "battleclass" bike...heavy but stiff.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
unsafe at any speed

I was surprised one Saturday morning after playing in the hills on my hawkGt, to find this one at a gas stop in Huntsville, AR.

750SF clone that the owner built, from bits he was able to buy while he was stationed in Europe.

Old 06-29-2007, 08:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
I wanna Live 'til I die!

Send a message via AIM to signit98
ohhhh.... that's just beautiful!
2005 R1200GS - 20014 KTM690 Enduro - 2011 Husky TE250
Old 06-29-2007, 09:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Registered

Ditto,if you going to have a copy,thats as good as it comes!!.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
...elica rossa...

Garage
...just a plain, stock RGS 1000 Corsa will do...

R1200S + R1200RT
Old 06-30-2007, 12:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: