Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally posted by bradzdotcom
there were "scum ponds" being built and tested with "great enthuaism and excitement".
I'd love to see a picture of that.

Old 07-03-2007, 12:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to micko77
Quote:
Originally posted by markjenn
On the global warming issue, the science is not good enough to unequivocally prove that our activities are causing the current warm up, nor is the science good enough to precisely predict the exact consequences. But the science is good enough to say that increasing the level of CO2 in our atmosphere by 50-100% in the geologic blink of an eye is EXTREMELY LIKELY to cause very dramatic climate change. Given this fact, and given that we don't have another planet to go to, I think we should be playing it a little conservative and working on technologies and policies that don't continue "business as usual".

I think we could virtually immediately reduce fossil fuel use by about 50% with almost no reduction in the quality of our lifes. We might be driving 35-hp bikes rather than 150-hp bikes, but sometimes I think I have more fun on my 35-hp DRZ than on any of my more powerful bikes. Bigger isn't necessarily better. All it takes is everyone getting on board and conducting their lifes in a thinking way with regard to the consequences.
As usual, you provide a well thought out and intelligent argument. Precisely the one I happen to agree with and consequently what I believe is the only logical argument. The science is not solid enough to support an elimination of every other hypothesis at this time, but the consequence of no action far outweighs the inconvenience of action. As you and I both seem to have stated, small lifestyle changes can go a long way with little inconvenience. Being more efficient is just good practice, even in the absence of a crisis.

But, all that said there is one thing that I know to be true. Whether it's the doctor, the scientist, the politician, or the preacher...they all know better than me how I should live my life...funny thing is that in all their wisdom they ALL seem to need more money from me to live theirs better.
2004 BMW R1100S
2005 Mercedes C230w
2006 Ducati Sport 1000(sold)
2007 Ducati Monster S4Rs

Last edited by micko77; 07-03-2007 at 01:07 PM..
Old 07-03-2007, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)

Here's some interesting (and hopeful) info:

http://www.greenfuelonline.com/gf_files/Plenty20Final.pdf
Old 07-03-2007, 02:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)
Man it's flat out here!

Garage
Many of us who live in the Midwest have had occasion to visit the Amish People...I would dare say they have a very low environmental impact...but I dare say as well the rest of us will never adopt that lifestyle.

It's so difficult just to get a group of 10 or more riders to leave from a gas stop at the same time...how do you get the rest of the world "on board" for all the necessary changes?...just ain't gonna happen, I'm afraid to say.
"What I've tried to do in the two books I've done, Signature in the Cell and Darwin's Doubt, is to show just how weak the materialist's hand is in explaining the key events in the history of life. ... We would encourage people to roll up their sleeves, do their homework on this." Stephen Meyer PHD
Old 07-03-2007, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)
I wanna Live 'til I die!

Send a message via AIM to signit98
You are right, Dan... unfortunately.

All we need to do here is look at our respective signature lines... and the problem becomes apparent...

Do we really need 3 of ANYTHING?... nope, but it is so darn much fun to have the toys... and to use them... SIGH!
2005 R1200GS - 20014 KTM690 Enduro - 2011 Husky TE250
Old 07-03-2007, 07:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)

You see, this is where Star Trek ruined my life.

I completely admire the way the Amish live. I think growing up in VT gave me an appreciation for the natural environment and a desire to tread lightly in it, BUT I think technology is a good thing and may in fact save the world.

We can't all live like the Amish.
Some folks need to push the boundaries of human understanding and technological abilities to prepare for an uncertain future.

I do hope that our pushing technological boundaries does not mean smaller and smaller ipods, but follows more noble pursuits like cleaning up the environment, providing healthy food for all, building better structures, giving better medical care, designing a more efficient engine, etc.

All that pie in the sky stuff that made the future so appealing to us Star Trek kids....some good can come out of technology.
I hope.

1984 Honda CB700SC
2004 R1100S (sold)
2007 R1200R
Old 07-03-2007, 08:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by R111S
It's so difficult just to get a group of 10 or more riders to leave from a gas stop at the same time...how do you get the rest of the world "on board" for all the necessary changes?...just ain't gonna happen, I'm afraid to say.
Maybe, but still doesn't mean each person can't try and live their life in a more long-term sustainable way. At least you'll be able to look yourself in the mirror each night and say that you did your part.

- Mark
Old 07-03-2007, 10:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)
evil bastard

Quote:
Originally posted by markjenn
Bigger isn't necessarily better. All it takes is everyone getting on board and conducting their lifes in a thinking way with regard to the consequences.
Yeah, good luck with that. Do any of you honestly believe that could happend without some greater motive, like bare survival, or an oportunity to earn wealth and power?

One of the most common delusions people have is that they are in control. And the only proof of that is faith in our ability to rationalize and think logically.

Face it folks. Our rationale is just a passenger on a trip and the real decisions are made by so many other workings of the brain that we can influence only very slightly, if at all.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)
evil bastard

Quote:
Originally posted by vielzebub

I do hope that our pushing technological boundaries does not mean smaller and smaller ipods, but follows more noble pursuits like cleaning up the environment, providing healthy food for all, building better structures, giving better medical care, designing a more efficient engine, etc.
This is something I can agree with 100%. I believe that it should be our duty to enhance ourselves through science to the point where we would no longer be dependent on the actions that drastically change our environment for our own benefit and at the cost of everything else.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)
evil bastard

In todays news:
http://environment.newscientist.com/article/dn12176-humanity-gobbles-a-quarter-of-natures-resources.html
Old 07-04-2007, 03:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)

Somebody mention Star Trek?

Dude!

2001 R1100S
Old 07-04-2007, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)
I wanna Live 'til I die!

Send a message via AIM to signit98
>>>>but follows more noble pursuits like cleaning up the environment, providing healthy food for all, building better structures, giving better medical care, designing a more efficient engine, etc. <<<

...only if there's profit to be made by some!

2005 R1200GS - 20014 KTM690 Enduro - 2011 Husky TE250
Old 07-04-2007, 07:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: