Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

OT - Cornering School

Just got back from a 2 day course with California Superbike School at Miller Motorsports Park in Utah. Wow what a blast! I've never been on a track before and what a great experience. The school was great and the track was great. By the end of the 2nd day I had the knee dragging in several of the turns and my lap times improved as well. The school exceeded my expectations. Keith Code has a nice system going and everyone in the class improved.

I think for me the most useful things I learned were:
1. Body position. Getting back on the seat, getting my head out more from the bike, and lowering my inside elbow.
2. Throttle control - once getting the bike leaned over, keep on the throttle to stabilize the bike. Once I did this, the bike seemed to turn itself in the corners once it was leaned into the turn.
3. Lines, lines, lines. Knowing when to start your turn and picking the best line for that turn was drilled over and over again.

It took some getting use-to going from street use of my R1200S to the school's Kawasaki ZX-6R. The first day I was too low of an RPM range which limited my drive in the turns. I was in 3rd and 4th gear most of that day. I think I was learning so much stuff that day, I wasn't paying too much attention to the gearing. On the second day I did more engine braking going into the turns and was downshifting from 4th to 3rd or from 3rd to 2nd going into the turns and running the bike at higher RPMs. Everything seemed to be in better balance and could keep the throttle on better in the corners which led to bigger leans and finally getting the knee dragging.

Anyway, back to street riding again and looking forward to getting on the track again ...

- Steve

Old 07-02-2007, 12:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: