Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Living on borrowed time!

'my 50 year old wife who still runs 2-3 marathons a year & runs half marathons with her girlfriend for "fun"

AND can hold her own on an R1100S as well. Good choice!

'I am John Andrew Moffett of the Clan Moffat and by god I live, love, seek, fail, grieve and die as I so choose and I call no man master save me'.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
unsafe at any speed

Hey Jony, When did you acquire the H2 Kawasaki?
Old 07-03-2007, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Living on borrowed time!

a couple of weeks back.
usta be an old vintage superbike; gots lots of trick parts.
the crank is the issue now; I'm debating on spending big bucks at falicon or having the local guy do it; those triple cranks are not for the faint-of-heart.
has 38MM PJ lectrons and TNT (tony nicosia tuned) pipes. boo-wah porting. let the squirrellyness begin!

'I am John Andrew Moffett of the Clan Moffat and by god I live, love, seek, fail, grieve and die as I so choose and I call no man master save me'.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
unsafe at any speed

I wonder if any of Falicon"s current employees have ever done an H2.... I think most of the stuff they see these days is spray welding journals for plain bearings....

When you get it finished I have to ride up for a visit... Those were fun.... of course "Nostalgia" ain't what it used to be....
Old 07-03-2007, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
Living on borrowed time!

'I wonder if any of Falicon"s current employees have ever done an H2'

yeah...I know.
that knowledge is getting harder and harder to find, although the snogo crowd still uses 2-strokes.
the local guy is dynomite, but he's gonna retire and 40 years of experience doesn't grow on trees.

Old 07-03-2007, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Pushing 53 and run 20 miles cross country per week. College age daughter is home for the summer. Ex varsity high school cross country / track. We still run together when she's home. That keeps me in shape. Here in Westchester County, NY we have the Rockefeller Preserve in Sleepy Hollow. All the local high school x-country teams train there in the summer. If you're a runner, this is a great place.
VW GTI Fahrenheit Edition
1990 K75s (Sold)
Old 07-03-2007, 06:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

I'm turning 65 in August, 5' 10", 189# (about 15 more than I want.) I walk about 5 to 7 miles a day now.

I have a Concept II rowing machine and for the last few years I used to row 45 minutes most every day at a 2 min 12 sec per 500 meters rate.

Started a fitness program back in 98 and managed to get my weight down from 235-240 to 177. Had to work out 3 hours a day and eat only 2 meals with nothing after 6 p.m. -- that really sucked.

Now, moderation is the watchword for me. Rowing is down to 3 or 4 days a week for 27 minutes each session. Age is starting to tell though over the last couple of years. After a couple of successive big mile days I start to feel tired and need to limit the riding to no more than about 8 hours daily until I recover fully in a couple of days.

So, bottom line: I think I'm fit for my age.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

I think you're fit for my age.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
Do not take too seriously

Garage
Reading through this thread... am I the benjamin of these forums at 36?

http://www.sport-touring.eu | http://eurotravel.photos
Old 07-03-2007, 09:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)
I wanna Live 'til I die!

Send a message via AIM to signit98
naahh, there are a few youngens on here... Wonder Boy, Vette Racer, Repoe, N8!... to name a few... but you are certainly on the lower end of the spectrum...
2005 R1200GS - 20014 KTM690 Enduro - 2011 Husky TE250
Old 07-03-2007, 09:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

At 5'6", 145lbs, I will be 48 in September. For 4 years (18- 22 years old) I studied Tang Soo Do daily until I became blackbelt. This gave me an understanding of disipline that I would recomend to everybody. I lost interest after a while due to other things going on in my life at that age.

But, for the last 22 years I have continued to do the stretching exercise routine I would warm up with and do my age in situps and pushups after the warm up routine. Every year I add 1 more.

I have also been riding my mountain bike for the last 8 years and when I can't ride it I do 50 complete revolutions on my 1-up bicycle trainer that I have had for the last 7 months. This gets your heart rate up quick!

My philosophy is to be consistant. Don't make it so hard and long of a routine that you become board or get to stiff from doing to much. I think to many people over do it when they first start. You get stiff and sore which make you to stop and eventually you end up doing nothing.

The last few years I have been watching my carb intake. I eat 1 good meal (all I can eat, whatever I want) at about 5pm supper time maybe a snack and a sweet before I go to bed about 3am. Thats it! Drink plenty of water, some skim milk with dinner. NO soda, caffene, or alcohol anymore.

You have to take control over your own actions which require strict disipline. It is not easy in the beginning. Start off slow i.e. 5 pushups and situps, and work up over time. The key is: "BE CONSISTANT"! A little is better than none at all. It has worked for me.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

I have 'physical training' built in to my work schedule ... gym, running, dumbells, all sorts ...

... it took me 1 year to prepare for selection to my Unit, a week long selection, then a 3 month advanced training programme ...

... in a police force of 26,000 people, my Unit has 104 members ...

... you can guess for yourselves what we do ...

... no, you cheeky sods, it's not the traffic wardens!

Nick
Old 07-04-2007, 06:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

I wanna Live 'til I die!

...My son is a Tang Soo Do Blackbelt... I had to beat him (proverbially) into the Dojo for a while... but now he likes it.

Every now and then I practice with him... but he is 12, 5'4" and about #120 now... whenn he gets me, it starts hurting.... no need for that anymore... I gotta get out while I am still ahead and that is changing quickly...

I can only recommend Martial Arts to anyone though... it is great for may reasons... even if you get to old to move fast, the forms still improve strength, balance and focus... and you can do them forever.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by signit98
...My son is a Tang Soo Do Blackbelt...
How strange - so is my son.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)
Biggest Member

Garage
Send a message via AIM to gigantic Send a message via Yahoo to gigantic
Dang! you guys are old...
I'm 36 and weigh 245#s-before you jump to conclusions about my being overweight, spread that over a 6'8" frame; the guys I work with call me "slim". I do a lot of heavy lifting at work, do yoga intermittently and go to the track at least two weekends a month. I should probably work out more but I'm currently caught in a catch 22: physical pain- arthritis in the knees, pelvis/sacroliac joint and back limit the amount of activity that I can enjoy. If I worked out more, it's possible that I'd have less pain. sigh.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

43, 6'1, 170. Although I run 5 or 6 times a week and play soccer when I can (began playing competitive/ touring ball around age eight, then college, semi-pro) for the most part I really don't do much. I truly wish I had the discipline to do more like many of you here.

Speaking of keeping in shape: Getting married in September; first for each of us. Weve been together for almost 3 years. She just turned 28. Im only aware of the age when a song from the 80s comes on, the Cure or Depeche Mode or some such (which does seem like yesterday). I get into it, shes nonplussed. My attempt to share my enthusiasm becomes immediately tempered when she replies: Thats nice Honey, but remember, I was four when that came out. Oh, Snap!!

cheers,
Old 07-04-2007, 04:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

6'4" 250 lbs Yes the S is small. Work in a machine shop all day. I figure it's more exercise than sitting at a desk.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

also ---- 53 and 6 ft. 204 lbs, started 2 months ago back at the gym to loose weight and suck the gut, now gained 8lbs of muscle, waist went down from 35+ to 33. still gotta eat less. work out with trainer hard once a week with focus on stretching and gut then do machines thrice a week.

Had both my boys work with trainers from 13 years old then I got to gym as the ride, now the younger one is too busy with his summer schedule of 7 -10 am waterpolo, 10-11am volleyball, 11-12am swimming and for some reason tired and hungry at lunch. I wanted them at a young age to learn to stay healthy and now its my time.
Bad cyiaitic at times, both knee's done, lower back is much better now.
ingmar

Last edited by Dbltailexit; 07-04-2007 at 05:57 PM..
Old 07-04-2007, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

36, 5'10" 205lbs( 20 too heavy) Brazilian Jiu Jitsu 2 to 3 times a week. You can do this forever, it's great for us older guys who get bored in the gym.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)
I wanna Live 'til I die!

"us older guys" eh?

...well, yeah... at 36 you are old iron!

LMAO

Old 07-05-2007, 08:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: