Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

R12S: Helmet Lock

I wanted to add a helmet lock to my R12S, and I wanted the key to match the ignition. Pirate's Lair sells this K12S/R lock:

for $89. I was pretty sure it would fit the R12S, because we both share 0.800x1.000 tube frames, but I wasn't sure where it would fit or how it would look. See details here: http://piratesk12site.net/HelmetlockS.htm

Turns out the Pirate lock does fit our R12S bikes. I installed mine on the right side away from the exhaust pipe. You basically get BMW parts and the Pirate bracket, then you file down the tangs inside the tumbler of the lock cylinder and you are keyed.

Here it is installed on my R12S:

I wasn't thrilled with how it looked (tacked on), but it worked.

Since the time of install, I have deleted my passenger pegs. Very clean look this way. This gave me an opportunity to reuse the 2 lower inserts in the frame that had been part of the passenger peg on the right hand side. I fabricated a simple aluminum bracket from 1.000x1.000 angle stock, painted in flat black, and installed the helmet lock to it. Flush fit looks a lot nicer. It's also higher and more out of the way while riding. On the left side, I installed stainless cap screws to keep the inserts from rattling around and to keep dirt and water out.

Old 07-02-2007, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: