Pelican Parts Forums

Pelican Parts Forums (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/)
-   BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/bmw-r1100s-r1200s-tech-forum/)
-   -   SJBMW NESBA: what's up? (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/bmw-r1100s-r1200s-tech-forum/355705-sjbmw-nesba-whats-up.html)

Sideshow_S 07-05-2007 12:11 PM

SJBMW NESBA: what's up?

I heard rumor of an incident at Kettle Bottoms. C'est vrai? I have the when and where, but not the Who/what/why? Can anyone fill me in? I was hoping to see them at Road America this weekend. I hope the rumors weren't as bad as had been told through the grapevine.

Steve Carlton 07-05-2007 12:24 PM

I called Dean, and he doesn't know of any incidents or what Kettle Bottoms is. They're at Road America right now practicing for MotoST this weekend, with Brian Parriott and Tom Montano riding. Nate is there, too, with his bike and a couple of pit crew guys. So, I'd expect he's racing in some event(s) there. What sort of rumors are you referring to?

Steve Carlton 07-05-2007 12:34 PM

Okay, so Kettle Bottoms is part of Road America, between Turn 11 and 12. Dean said yesterday some guy on an R1 missed his shift, and went right across Nate's path. He believes Nate didn't crash, but his exhaust pipe was damaged. The R1 was wadded up into a little ball, though.

http://www.trackpedia.com/w/images/b...caTrackMap.jpg

geothepencil 07-05-2007 12:35 PM

"Sebastien Bourdais now lighter in fuel becomes that fastest car in the field and once again starts to scream around Wisconsin faster than any Frenchman in history. “SeaBass”
gets by Wilson in turn five on lap 37. A.J gets a run on Wilson with the “RAS”in turn 1 on lap 38. Justin did not have anything for A.J and let him go. Meanwhile Servia is starting to press Bourdais in “The Kink”( first turn in the turn 11 complex a blind right hander) and Kettle Bottoms (sweeping esse into the right hand turn 12 Canada Corner) Paul Tracy for fuel and blacks on lap 39."

Apparently its a reference to part of the track at Road America.

We are really looking forward to seeing the race while on the way to MOA

geo

Sideshow_S 07-05-2007 02:21 PM

The rumors were from another racer in the Moto-ST race this Sunday. Something to the tone of:
"I heard that the #1 San Jose BMW got wadded up pretty badly in a very high-speed crash in the Kettle Bottoms yesterday at the NESBA day. Not sure who was riding (guy I talked to thought Kern?), but heard rider got injured too."

I'm guessing the story got turned around and it's someone else who may pass on riding. Good to hear. Too bad about the crash regardless. I don't know how that couldn't make one a little skittish for race day, but I've seen winners come from practice-day crashes before.

Peterr 07-05-2007 02:52 PM

Just spoke to Nate. He is fine. The bike is a little banged up. I will let him give the specifics.

boxercup 07-05-2007 03:27 PM

Oh Sh!T

Greetings,

I hope Nate is ok and his bike is also!

A nice win is in order for Nate; he is due!

N8Kern 07-05-2007 05:46 PM

Hey PP! All I can say is this was the save of all saves and actually GOD pulled us ( my bike and I).

Simple. Road America is a very VERY fast tack. Down the back straight, 4th gear, R6 in front of me and a bit to the left. I have my head down and just ripping, I notice through my windshield the back of this R6's tailsection rise, the rider sits up, and as he is working the throttle (elbow up and down, to me a missed shift, and vigorous effort to get back in gear) the rider drifts to the right.... All I could do is shut my left eye and stick my elbow out bracing myself. His rear tire smacked square into my left header pipe and cylinder head. Crushed the header pipe (bent the exhaust in 3 places), broke our upper fairing, blasted the oile cooler off of mount.
I went off of the right side of the bike dragging my leg and barley hanging on left handlebar. Boot skipped so fast and hard off the pavement, it went and tip of my boot was wedge between shock and paralever arm. lol Rear tire rubbed tip of my boot bottom, close one, almost got sucked in. The bike just kinda uprighted itself from tank slapping and the kill switch somehow was pushed and thank goodness settled down the bike from slapping me all the way down the track.

I came to a stop and rested the bike on the wall and just sat down for a bit. Only thing I was left with was more thankfullness to be here and badly bruised left foot! lol

SO, my team is here and we are very happy to be here. More than just a couple of crew guys. Rode good and hard today. Physically gettin stronger each weekend. 2 weeks ago was my first race back and I even didnt know what to expect. Team BMWXPLOR.com, BMW MC's of Atlanta, and Morton's BMW pulled out a new ASRA Thunderbike track record at VIR, put it on the pole, won one race and a second in the other! With help from 84 BMW riders total over 2 days, their enthusiasm helped me pull it off!

Best of luck to everyone this weekend.

N8!

AntonLargiader 07-05-2007 05:57 PM

Sweet! Glad to hear you got out of it without any grass stuck in the rim. I SO wish I could be out in the midwest for these two races, but it's just super busy here. There's a 15% chance I can get to Iowa, not much better.

I want to say good luck this weekend, but the SJBMW team has more going for them than just luck, so I wish y'all good luck PLUS the realization of all of the work that SJ has put into this race effort, and I hope to see some podium photos in a few more days.

N8Kern 07-05-2007 06:59 PM

Thanks, also good luck to SJBMW hope they do well!

N8!

Sideshow_S 07-05-2007 08:13 PM

Good luck, N8. Hope to see you in the pits on Sunday. Congrats on the save! What an event! Accidents happen, but saving bikes from crashing just doesn't happen. Again, glad to hear you're you and the bike aren't "wadded up" as I feared. Hope I didn't stir anything by bringing this to light.

AntonLargiader 07-06-2007 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by N8Kern
Thanks, also good luck to SJBMW hope they do well!
Maybe I'm confused... I thought you were 'they' for this event? What bike were you riding when the R6 whacked you?

N8Kern 07-06-2007 02:53 AM

No worries SlideshowS! lol Im just happy to be here. SJBMW went ahead and got another rider for this race. They figured I would be to hurt to race. Last week proved different. I have not heard much from them, so regardless, I want to see them win....

I have my own races and need to get my bikes dialed in. Testing all sorts of shocks and spring rates.

See youse at the races!

N8!

AntonLargiader 07-06-2007 03:01 AM

Quote:

I have my own races and need to get my bikes dialed in...
Got it. I missed that part in Steve's earlier post.

Good luck, Nate! Glad you're back and in good form!

boxercup 07-06-2007 03:39 AM

God is Good

N8,

I am glad that you are ok~!

You are in it to win it!

Best!

NakedRider 07-06-2007 06:10 AM

Glad you are OK N8. Best of luck to you and also the SJBMW team.

Bob Hancock 07-06-2007 07:58 AM

Sure glad you weren't hurt Nate. Best of luck to any BMW out there....but especially you. :D

geechie 07-06-2007 10:23 AM

N8!,

Sure am glad you made it out of that one O.K. With all due respect, I suspect your talent and instincts had more to do with "the save" than did divine intervention. "The Lord helps those who help themselves."

You take care of yourself and tell my buddy Todd "Hey".

Ride Fast.

George

R111S 07-06-2007 05:43 PM

Glad your on a Winning Streak again N8! God Speed!

Quote:

Originally posted by geechie
"The Lord helps those who help themselves."

George

Hi George, I know you meant well, but there's no such verse like that in the Bible. I used to say it myself but then after reading the Bible and looking for it, there's nothing of the sort I could find there.

I can confess for myself that the Lord takes care of me in spite of myself...yes, all the time.

BMW Atlanta 07-06-2007 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by R111S
Glad your on a Winning Streak again N8! God Speed!

Hi George, I know you meant well, but there's no such verse like that in the Bible. I used to say it myself but then after reading the Bible and looking for it, there's nothing of the sort I could find there.

I can confess for myself that the Lord takes care of me in spite of myself...yes, all the time.

Where was George referencing the bible??? Sounds like an assumption to me. Let's try to keep the religion debate elsewhere's please.