Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Hancock
I hope you're wrong but I think you're right.
Bob,
Based on my previous ownership experience of 3 Buells, I can attest that the Harley dealer network can't adequately service the existing Buell customer.

Buying a Buell from a Harley dealer is much like trying to buy a computer from WalMart. You have to already know the product before you step in the door.

...more BMWs, Buells, Harleys and Hondas than you can shake a stick at!
Old 07-08-2007, 08:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Seems to me rumours of "world beating" sport bikes have emerged before, like with the Triumph TT. Well, we know how that turned out.

I think this Buell, given H-D backing and XB experience, is likely to be more the "real deal", but I would still expect it to be some years...maybe many, many years, until the reality lives up to the hype. Being the best right out of the gate is a very difficult stunt to pull off.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

> Porsche basically developed the engine... the frenchies the frame and the fork is Japanese (or vice versa,, I forgot)... on the gold old american V-Rod...

Looks like a cool bike. Back on the Vrod, Porsche only developed the heads.

This thing seems interesting. Now to figure out what classes it runs in. Hmmmm

OnRoad OffRoad Cycles, Austin, TX: BMW, Ital, Suspension, Electrics
Dealer for K-Tech, JRI, GP Suspension, Penske, Íhlins, RaceTech, Elka, Wilbers, IKON & Works
www.ororcycle.com

CMRA EXPERT #841
Various Formula 5, 6 & 7 championships 2006-2012

A3, Navigator,
Old 07-08-2007, 01:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Buell's website is now live with all the info. Gotta' admit - the 1125 looks pretty damn impressive.

...more BMWs, Buells, Harleys and Hondas than you can shake a stick at!
Old 07-08-2007, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
"I see nothing..."

The gallery pics of the side scoops looks weird.
And the exhaust system looks like a couple of straight pipes wrapped up in playdoh.
I am sure it will grow on me and look better in the flesh.
I think it is great to see more "sport" twins coming to the market.
It has a 21 litre fuel tank and nice upright riding position.
And if it comes with hard bags are you in?
Sign me up for a test ride at least...and we'll wait to see what R1200SHP offers.
2009 Aprilia RS125 with GIANNELLI full system, Bitubo shock, etc.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Never thought I would say this 'bout a Buell, but oooohhh, mama.
I gotta admit, when I saw this on the net and read the HP and weight numbers, the first two words I thought of were:
Colin Edwards
Old 07-08-2007, 10:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

wow, its dry weight figures are not too bad...cant say i love is appearance. i'll take one without a fairing, like a tuono. even the 04 tuono with some add-ons makes about 130 at the crank and 120 at the wheel...just shy of 1000cc's.

repoe3
2004 R1100SBX
Old 07-09-2007, 03:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
time wasting tosser

it certainly has a "unique" look to it.

good point rog, exactly what class is it supposed to race?
Old 07-09-2007, 06:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Uh....who me?

Upper front is Ducati....tail is Aprilia....sides are....what to do with those pesky radiators! Maybe the next solution will be a bit more elegant. Still, overall pretty nice. Looking forward to witnessing the evolution. A real sport bike at the Harley shop.....who'd a thunk.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
Interesting bike.

As an ex Buell owner ,my experience with BMW and HD products was completely on the opposite side of the spectrum. My 1100S has had very little problems and she's still running great after 30K+ however my BMW dealer/CS experience was the worst ever, as in EVER. I even had to take a dealer to court and BMWNA ..well let's not go even there.

My Buell was a piece of junk as simple as that. 15 major problems in one year of ownership. However the CS I got from HD was the best, period. Every time they fixed the problem and gave me a bike in replacement. Never they gave me attitudes.

HD has a great network here in the states and let's face it, 99% of HD owners are not the Hells Angles type anymore...they are either baby boomers or yuppies with no riding experience who want to be bad boys for once in their life time...nothing wrong with that. I see no problems in sport-oriented riders stepping into HD dealers.

If Buell can deliver a reliable product, it will sell, and I might even consider it. The problem they have to figure out how to make a bike reliable...the fact that the engine will come from Rotax well that's a great step in the right direction.

I don't think I'd buy a BMW ever again, at least not here in the states, unless BMWNA makes drastic changes, like firing all their executives!

'nough said.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Thread Killer

Last edited by Steve Carlton; 07-09-2007 at 06:31 AM..
Old 07-09-2007, 06:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Well, I doubt it's _supposed_ to race any particular class.
But that's been true of certain 1100-1200cc twins we all know and love too, and look at them. It's a matter of what classes people will find to run them in. I'm a little too sore after a 6 hour endurance and a sprint crash to do much useful today, and so have already looked over our (CMRA) rulebook. Looks like a good fit for Formula-1 and HW-Twins for us. Old guys could run them in F40-HW too. That could be a lot of fun, especially on the tighter tracks. Looks a bit funny, but will withhold judgement until we've seen them in person and how well they actually go.

OnRoad OffRoad Cycles, Austin, TX: BMW, Ital, Suspension, Electrics
Dealer for K-Tech, JRI, GP Suspension, Penske, Íhlins, RaceTech, Elka, Wilbers, IKON & Works
www.ororcycle.com

CMRA EXPERT #841
Various Formula 5, 6 & 7 championships 2006-2012

A3, Navigator,
Old 07-09-2007, 06:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

If this Buell works, what are the chances HD starts using Rotax in all their bikes? they might be onto something. heh heh

Looks really tempting. Bets on what price point they're shooting for - somewhere around 14k base? That would make it competitive with the current R12S (ie. my next bike).
Old 07-09-2007, 07:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

The list price is $11,995
Old 07-09-2007, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Like the engine but have to see the bike in the flesh first to see how it realy looks. It looks a bit heavy at the front compered to the rest of the bike. Would prefer to see it as a streetfighter.

'09 Aprilia Scarabeo 250 i.e.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

The radiator covers look like a Harrier Jump-Jet intake. (See Steve Carltons previous photo) The engine looks like it will be a jewel. I wonder how many wheelies the final drive belt can take from that engine before giving up the ghost?
Old 07-09-2007, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
time wasting tosser

Quote:
Originally posted by Rocklee
I wonder how many wheelies the final drive belt can take from that engine before giving up the ghost?
I wonder how long it will take for a "Convert To Chain Kit" to happen?
Old 07-09-2007, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Uh....who me?

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Carlton

ahhh....the associations a creative mind makes.

Old 07-09-2007, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: