Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Confirmed!

This was mentioned in an earlier post as a possibility. Moderator , please cancel post if the confirmation has already been posted. Thanks.

Special Laguna Seca Announcement 7-6-07
Miguel Duhamel to ride MotoGP at Laguna!
A Press Release from American Honda:
Torrance, CA (7-6-07): It was confirmed today that long-time Team Honda superbike racer Miguel Duhamel will race the Gresini Honda RC212V as a wild card entry in the 2007 Red Bull USGP MotoGP class in place of injured rider Toni Elias. Duhamel last raced the premier Grand Prix class in 1992.

With more career AMA national road racing victories than any other rider in history, Duhamel is well positioned to make the most of his USGP opportunity. I am very pleased to have this opportunity. I want to take this time to wish Toni a quick recovery. We're all looking forward to seeing him back in action. I spoke with the Gresini team owner this morning and finalized the deal. I'm really super pumped and looking forward to getting out there. It's a tall order for sure. At the very least I hope to put on a good show for the fans. I know I've wanted to see this for a long time. I'll also still be in the AMA Superbike race right after the MotoGP race, so it's going to be a busy day for sure.?

Perhaps nobody is better suited for the challenge than Duhamel, who has four race wins at Laguna Seca, home of the 2007 USGP, and who spent most of his career with American Honda racing two classes, often in the same day. Duhamel is also the only rider in AMA history to win three national races on the same weekend, (until a few weeks ago when Ben Spies accomplished this feat) which he accomplished at Virginia International Raceway in 2004.

MN - We think Laguna Seca just doubled in fun!

Old 07-07-2007, 07:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Barback King

...his Papa'd be proud...
Old 07-09-2007, 08:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote from: Rapid Dog ...his Papa'd be proud...

Yeah Rapid I agree. I also think that Honda is thinking "what a fine way to stick it to Vale whether Nicky is running well during the USGP or not". As far as Stoner, I don't think he's going to be as comfortable at Laguna Seca as with euro styled tracks.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
time wasting tosser

Quote:
Originally posted by Rocklee I also think that Honda is thinking "what a fine way to stick it to Vale whether Nicky is running well during the USGP or not". As far as Stoner, I don't think he's going to be as comfortable at Laguna Seca as with euro styled tracks.
You dont really think Miggy will be competitive for the win, do you? EVEN IF he breaks top 10, that will be huge for him. He's never even ridden the bike, plus it's one of the customer bikes that haven't been updated and most likely won't until after Laguna. I dont see how this will "stick it to Vale". Plus, he's a canuck, not a 'merkin, so he doesn't really count.

Nick should be ok now that he has the chassis he's been waiting for. He's shown he has the pace at Donington and then backed it up at Assen, so he is definately a contender. Expect to see another top 5 result from him in Germany.

Stoner should be fine. He had top 5 speed last year, but he crashed out on a bike that he has already claimed "was being tinkered with".
Old 07-09-2007, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Barback King

...ditto dat...the Duc won't have the power advantage at LS.
Proof was last week's race, as soon as the circus comes back to Europe (where tracks don't have enormous starightaways), and Fiat Yamaha gots the bikes sorted, The Doctor shines.
To many wet races have turded the results so far.
But boy that Auzzie kid sure can ride...

i have to agree about the canuck...he's had alot of experience on bikes and at LS, but I'd think that a fresh start on a MotoGP bike is a whole 'nother animal...but who knows, I'd say odds be 50/50 he'll do well.

Last edited by Rapid Dog; 07-09-2007 at 10:28 AM..
Old 07-09-2007, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

When I state "stick it to Vale" I am pointing to the not so loving relationship between Honda and Vale (His reasons for leaving Honda as stated in his book) and not so much the flag that the racers rider under. I think that the way LS will again neutralize some advantages it will pay dividends to those with back-of-the-hand track knowledge. Let's see what the old man can do with it. Honda will enjoy any gratuities that come it's way at Vales expense.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

time wasting tosser

Quote:
Originally posted by Rocklee
When I state "stick it to Vale" I am pointing to the not so loving relationship between Honda and Vale (His reasons for leaving Honda as stated in his book)
there's a BIG DIFFERENCE between HRC and American Honda in how they do business.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Barback King

...no doubt...the heat last year was a real deterent, but I wonder if Vale' would have done much better even in cooler track temps...
The air about the USGP amongst the european riders was that of it just being a party and not a a very important leg of the series...it was definitely a circus atmosphere...

Old 07-09-2007, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: