Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

R1100S spark plug boot puller

Where can I get a better one than the one that comes in the tool kit? The primary plug boot on my 2-spark seems to be very tight and the supplied puller just keeps slipping off.

Thanks

Old 07-08-2007, 07:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Mark, make sure you are pulling on the loop only and not the body of the tool. Pulling on the loop tightens the tool's grip on the boot. Failing that, see if your dealer can get you the tool in this image capture from a BMW service video. I don't know what the rest of the part number is but I'm sure a friendly dealer will know how to figure it out.

2004 BCR #36 (sold)
Old 07-08-2007, 08:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I ended up buying this one from Marc Parnes

HERE is a link to his website

'07 R1200GS
'79 GS1000S
Old 07-08-2007, 09:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks, Chris. That's exactly what I'm looking for.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Are these wires different then the wires on my 2000 R1100S? I just changed my plugs and removed the wires by simply pulling on them. Is there a tool I should have been using?
Old 07-08-2007, 11:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by BSnyder
Are these wires different then the wires on my 2000 R1100S? I just changed my plugs and removed the wires by simply pulling on them. Is there a tool I should have been using?
The factory toolkit includes a plastic u-shaped doohickey that "hooks" onto the lips of the spark plug boot and makes it much easier to pull them off. You can generally go it with just your hands, but you have to have strong fingers and/or be willing to endure a little pain - the tool makes it much easier.

If you're pulling on the lead directly (as opposed to the boot), that's a big no-no.

- Mark
Old 07-08-2007, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

You don't need to use a tool if you can just pull yours off. Mine seem to be stuck on the plugs, plus the fact that I can't get my fat fingers in there to grab hold of the boot. The tool kit under the seat has a boot puller that slips into two grooves on the top of the boot. It's a plastic thing with a finger loop on it. I was having trouble with the tool slipping off the boot when I pulled on it. I was probably not doing it right. I did enentually get the boots off though. A little dielectric grease on the inside of the boots will probably make it easier next time, but i went ahead and ordered the Mard Parnes puller shown above.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Underwater basketweaver

Send a message via AIM to SergioK Send a message via Yahoo to SergioK
The underseat tool actually ripped the outer sheath of one of my plug wires - damn spark plug boot was on way too tight. I ended up having to replace the wire.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Thanks Marks. I wasn't pulling the wire but rather the lips of the spark plug boot. It wasn't terribly tough to pull and not painful at all but I have small, strong fingers from many years of guitar playing.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Do not take too seriously

Garage
This tool is for the twinsparkies, your 2000 is a single spark and has a lot more room for your fingers.

http://www.sport-touring.eu | http://eurotravel.photos
Old 07-08-2007, 10:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: