Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

R1200S Fuel Gauge

Is there any secret to the warning light and count down feature for low fuel? After running out of gas twice now what am I missing? The dealer has checked the computer and says everything is OK.

Thanks in advance -

Old 07-08-2007, 12:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
evil bastard

As soon as it lights the fuel warning, go to the nearest gas station? That's what I do, anyway. The fear of getting stranded always wins.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

The light has never lit. At least for a low fuel warning. It does light up during the test cycle when first starting but never for low fuel.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Thread Killer

Should be automatic. Can you try another dealer?
Old 07-08-2007, 01:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I make it a habit reset odometer when getting gas and knowing MPG lets me know when I need fuel. But pretty much I can go 160 miles on average before the light comes on . Recently on a 800 mile slab ride home I went as far as 210 miles before the light would come on but that is on the high way at a steady 70 mph .
Old 07-08-2007, 02:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Mine works on my R1200s. Mine pretty much shows up when I supposedly have about 50miles left before being empty. But as Fenring suggested, head to the gas station.

As Steve Carlton suggested, go find another dealer, sounds like yours doesnt know what they are doing. This IS a feature of the the bike and SHOULD work....I hate when dealers try to act like nothings wrong when clearly there is.

Good luck!

Robert
Old 07-08-2007, 02:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Uh....who me?

On my R12S, the light and miles to go come on at around 140 miles. I've taken it down to 5 miles to go and put in 4.5 gallons. Mine works well I think. If you are running out of gas because of no warning...it ain't right. Get it fixed.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I also have the light come on right at 140 miles. It took 3.2 gallons to the bottom of the red plastic fill tube.
2004 Civic hybrid (wife's)
Old 07-08-2007, 06:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

When the fuel warning light comes on, you should have ~1 gallon of fuel left in the tank. Depending on driving conditions (city/highway) and driver's enthusiasm, that should give you 35-50 miles range. When the warning lights, you need to plan on fuel in the next 20 miles or so unless you like walking.
BTW, I've modified my red filler tube to allow me several more 10ths of a gallon of fuel in the tank.

Last edited by Tacodog; 07-08-2007 at 08:29 PM..
Old 07-08-2007, 08:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Talk Less, Say More

Location: Moab Utah. Home of wierd red & orange radioactive stuff...
Garage
I didn't rely on the light on the 1100s and don't on this bike either. I use the first trip odometer to track miles between fill ups. Around 140 miles I get nervous and start loooking for gas. But, my light then comes on.

This was one of my peeves with BMW. Why can I have a totally accurate fuel guage on my Harley Davidson, (and 100% accurate per gps speedometer by the way) and get neither on a "sophisticated" piece of German engineering. Sometimes I think they are just laughing at us.

Last edited by ckcarr; 07-08-2007 at 08:38 PM..
Old 07-08-2007, 08:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
I wanna Live 'til I die!

Send a message via AIM to signit98
...so, does the Computer (for those of you who have that option) show you the range remaining? That would mean they are either guessing on the basis or average fuel consumption or that there is a flow scan...!?

Either way, folks.... keep in mind that modern gas pumps cool themselves while recirculating gas and being submerged... the lower you go, the hotter the pump will get and, if you do that often enough (even more valid on your cage!!!) the pump will burn out... BMW's are particularly prone to that, it seems... as that is one of the most frequent repair tickets in my Buddies shop...
2005 R1200GS - 20014 KTM690 Enduro - 2011 Husky TE250
Old 07-08-2007, 08:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I am getting better at judging the fuel remaining using the trip odometer. Yesterday when I ran out I was in sight of gas station and was able to restart and make it to the pump! But, I am going to a track school next week and the consumption is bound to be much higher.

One reason I am hesitant to take it to the dealer - see attached picture. This is what I found under the seat after the last service. Note the red protector on the positive terminal is burnt, and not placed over the terminal. And, the connector was just left "hanging". When asked the dealer said that this was normal. Dealer further said the protector was not really needed - it was just there to protect the positive terminal (no ****?) during manufacture.

They did change the battery (this was at 300 km on a brand new bike) and they were supposed to have "fixed" the fuel warning....

Hate to think what they might do if I take the bike back.

Old 07-08-2007, 09:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
I wanna Live 'til I die!

...your dealer is either full of $hit or absolutely clueless... most likely both!

...these two things aside, they do not take pride in their work and seemingly have no ethics either...

FIND ANOTHER DEALER.... QUICKLY!

...being that you measure in KM, where do you live?
Old 07-08-2007, 09:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I live in Germany and the dealer is a factory dealership in Berlin. Impressive, is it not?

Lots of stories (horror stories) about the service here. How about the time they forgot to drain the old oil before putting in the new oil in my K1200 RS? Forgot to tighten the rear drive drain plug? I could go on - but, they are pretty much the only choice for warranty repairs.

Really hoping that someone might have a quick do-it-yourself fix for the fuel gauge. Do not trust the dealer.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
I wanna Live 'til I die!

...ist doch immer die gleiche kacke! Nee, ueberhaupt nicht beeindruckend.... aber das ist die richtung die BMW (und andere) eingeschlagen haben...

Da gibt es doch bestimmt noch andere Haendler, oder?...

Check die kontakte and der benzin pumpe, noetigenfalls nimm die pumpe raus und stelle sicher das daer schwimmer richtig funktioniert...

Wenn das nichts bringt, such nen anderen haendler... was ich ohnehin tun wuerde!
Old 07-08-2007, 10:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DSchaffnit
[B]I am getting better at judging the fuel remaining using the trip odometer. Yesterday when I ran out I was in sight of gas station and was able to restart and make it to the pump! But, I am going to a track school next week and the consumption is bound to be much higher.

One reason I am hesitant to take it to the dealer - see attached picture. This is what I found under the seat after the last service. Note the red protector on the positive terminal is burnt, and not placed over the terminal. And, the connector was just left "hanging". When asked the dealer said that this was normal. Dealer further said the protector was not really needed - it was just there to protect the positive terminal (no ****?) during manufacture.

They did change the battery (this was at 300 km on a brand new bike) and they were supposed to have "fixed" the fuel warning....

Hate to think what they might do if I take the bike back.

My red terminal cover looks just like that- and that's from the factory. I tried to put it on straight, but the terminal is too close to the plastic gas tank for it to fit. Maybe your dealer is right about it only being needed during building- what can possibly touch the terminal down there?

As for the connector being out of it's holder- that's a pretty minor minor oversight- I think you guys are being pretty harsh on the dealer. Now if they forgot to fill it back up with oil, or left fasteners out- then I'd be shopping for elsewhere.
2004 Civic hybrid (wife's)
Old 07-09-2007, 03:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Granted the connector being out of its holder is a minor oversight. But, since a "final inspection" was performed or at least paid for to make sure everything was in order after the "repairs" and it is a fairly obvious oversight - it makes me wonder what they did (or did not do) that is not so obvious.

On the oil fill event. They did not forget to put oil in they filled the K1200 with oil after NOT draining the old oil. Severe over fill that resulted in a rear main seal failure. At speed.

Hope that I am not too hard on the dealer, but....
Old 07-09-2007, 04:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
ck
I don't remember a fuel guage on my FXDX, think it was an '02.
Jim

Old 07-09-2007, 04:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: