Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally posted by HugoVW
The biggest problem with the development of the 380 was??? the CAD! Because it was a multi-national project people were working with CATIA V4 and V5 (in all it's different versions) and they found out that V4 and V5 are not 100% compatible (as everybody who works with it knows). So some guys worked on V4, some on V5 and when the parts (especially the electric wiring) arrived it didn't fit.
In contrast, we forced everyone to be V5. Not only work in V5, but to vault all data in our single instance of ENOVIA in Seattle. Enforcement of the V5 policies is a big part of my job.

Suppliers kicked and screamed about the cost of switching to V5 and saving data to Seattle, and they still do, but hopefully it will prevent future problems like the 380 had down the road.

Someday maybe we will have a stable multi-CAD format we can all live with, but for now we're forcing conformity to one system only.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Well it shows you made the smart decision Off coure V5 is expensive but companies have to switch anyway and better now then later on..
Old 07-10-2007, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Barback King

I understand V5 is a pretty much a cakewalk once you've used V4.
Any opinions on that?
Jobs I've seen at Boeing and some other aerospace company's want either/or/both, etc., some are "must have V5 experience"...

Your thoughts...
Old 07-10-2007, 11:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Rapid Dog
I understand V5 is a pretty much a cakewalk once you've used V4.
Any opinions on that?
Jobs I've seen at Boeing and some other aerospace company's want either/or/both, etc., some are "must have V5 experience"...

Your thoughts...
CATIA V5 is very easy to use. ENOVIA V5/LCA is not easy to use. It sucks, in fact. It is not intuitive, it does not look or act like CATIA (or even like any other windows app). ENOVIA is the problem.

I came from Unigraphics, so V5 was easy to learn. Some V4 users have difficulty adjusting to V5 because they are used to modelling with boolean operations and not relational/feature-based models. But like I said, the CATIA part is easy. ENOVIA is where things go down the crapper.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Barback King

...so ENOVIA is out? ENOVIA is a file transfer program?
Old 07-10-2007, 11:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Rapid Dog
...so ENOVIA is out? ENOVIA is a file transfer program?
ENOVIA is the product data manager (vault, release engine, collaboartion tool) for high-end CATIA V5 users. It is also a Dassult product like CATIA. Companies on the scale of Boeing use it. Dassault has worked hard to incestually integrate CATIA V5 and ENOVIA V5... The assembly relationships between parts is stored in ENOVIA. So are bills of materials and other data. Making assemblies and retrieving them is a real pain because you have to deal with ENOVIA BS. Saving parts is a pain because ENOVIA is slow, etc.

A smaller organization would just save catparts off to a file erver or use a simpler pdm database like SmartTeam. Boeing picked the most complex route possible.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: