Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

fuel gauge

i have an r1200s with computer. can anyone tell me if the fuel gauge is suppose to show up all the time like the temperature gauge on the side of the screen. when mine hits the reserve it shows as empty but doesnt show anything when the fuel is above the reserve. can anyone tell me if this is normal. thanks

Old 07-09-2007, 10:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Uh....who me?

If you don't have the optional computer the left side of the RID is always blank. No fuel condition indication until you get into reserve and then a caution light blinks and the screen flashes "FUEL" and the digital display starts counting down how many miles to flame-out.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

that is exactly what happens. the bike is definately fitted with optional computer but something must be up with it. i also have a 1200gs and the fuel gauge shows all the time although that is not fitted with computer. i thought the onboard computer was suppose to tell you tyre pressures and oil level. is that true?
Old 07-10-2007, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I have the on board computer on my r12s. The fuel gauge should show on the left all the time. Your sensor in the gas tank may be out. The oil sensor is a seperate thing, and should give you a OK when the bike is idling and up to operating temp. The tire pressure sensor is something newer than my bike and I have no knowledge of it.

Last edited by Dave Bowen; 07-10-2007 at 09:14 AM..
Old 07-10-2007, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Thread Killer

Check your owner's manual. I've also heard there's a newer version of the owner's manual with quite a few more pages in it. The tire pressure monitor is a separate option from the on board computer. Check this thread:
Optional Computer on R1200S..What does it display??

When I got my bike, the dealer checked and BMW confirmed the tire pressure monitor could be added. Since then, they've been told it can't. Since I'm due to get tires anyway, they're going to try installing the parts and see if it works.

Last edited by Steve Carlton; 07-10-2007 at 09:30 AM..
Old 07-10-2007, 09:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Uh....who me?

Quote:
Originally posted by rob123
that is exactly what happens. the bike is definately fitted with optional computer but something must be up with it. i also have a 1200gs and the fuel gauge shows all the time although that is not fitted with computer. i thought the onboard computer was suppose to tell you tyre pressures and oil level. is that true?
My R12GS had a fuel gauge on the left side of the RID, but my R12S, which came without the optional computer, does not. So if you are sure you have the optional computer, something is amiss. Can't use your GS experience with the S.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

the gs not fitted with computer has a trip button and shows a fuel guage on the screen all the time. the S with computer has an info button but doesnt show any fuel gauge, just a warning when it gets to reserve. it only cycles through the mileage and trip when you press info and nothing else. cant seem to work it out?
Old 07-10-2007, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Uh....who me?

I don't think you have the OPTIONAL computer feature. Do you have the Manufacturer's list that came with the bike? It'll say if you have it or not.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

yes it says it is fitted with computer. have asked at my dealer but they dont seem to know what the differences should be between bikes fitted with computer and ones that arnt. what does the computer consist of? is it all in the display unit or is ther something under the seat?
Old 07-10-2007, 10:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Uh....who me?

Here's what the website says. I can't say more than that cos my bike doesn't have it.
http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/bikes/bike.jsp?b=r1200s

Old 07-10-2007, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: