Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Heated Grips - Poor performance with age?

The heated grips on my 03 R1150R don't seem to work as well as they used to. Do heated grips tend to degrade over time?

The grips on my R12S are an order of magnitude more capable, but that may be by design and not because of some issue with the ones on my RR.

Old 07-09-2007, 10:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

I've got an 01 and the heated grips get as warm now as when I got it. To the best of my recollection....
Old 07-09-2007, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Well, the left heated grip on my 99 had a wire break, so I replaced the heating element along with new grip rubbers on both sides. (Total PITA to replace the elements BTW, at least if you do it factory and depin the connection under the tank rather than splicing wires.) Now, the new grip is noticeably warmer than the old.

Normal sample-to-sample variation or has the right one deteriorated over time? I honestly don't know.

- Mark
Old 07-09-2007, 11:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

One thing to note is that if you use the side stand at all, the left grip gets the moisture collecting in the end of the grip (at the bar end weight). The hole in the clip on has no seal so if it's raining or you wash the bike and park on the side stand you might be letting more moisture in there than you realize. And it just sits there at the bar end since there is no drain hole. That may affect the heating wires over time.

BTW, same thing for the right side spark plug hole, it too can collect moisture if the side stand is used after rain/washing.

If it's the throttle side, that gets more strain on the wires due to the throttle. So over time the wires may partially tear increasing resistance or tear all the way causing failure in that grip.

Another thing to watch for is if you ever tow the bike and strap it down with one of those handle bar harnesses that fits over the grips. Those tend to pinch the heating element wires. Do it with enough force over time and you might get an eventual failure.
2004 BCR #36 (sold)
Old 07-09-2007, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Man it's flat out here!

Garage
Good tips for the care and feeding of heated grips...thanks peterz.

My R100GS/PD had two settings on the Heated Grips: 1) Luke Warm, 2) Scalding!

I like the heated grips on my '99 R1100S much better...not too cool on 1 and not too hot on 2.
"What I've tried to do in the two books I've done, Signature in the Cell and Darwin's Doubt, is to show just how weak the materialist's hand is in explaining the key events in the history of life. ... We would encourage people to roll up their sleeves, do their homework on this." Stephen Meyer PHD
Old 07-09-2007, 07:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I want a 4-postion switch:
1. Off
2. 1st
3. 2nd
4. 3rd degree burns.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Too many bikes, not enough heated grips. I'll add Gerbing gloves to the jacket.
Jim

Old 07-10-2007, 05:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: