Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
O.T. Does the world really need another Indian?

Need to make a few million go away?

Old 09-20-2007, 07:47 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Snob Pirate

I just want one of those little light up heads to put on the bike. Wouldn't have to be an indian.

geo
Old 09-20-2007, 08:53 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Cyclone Jack

Garage
I would have to see their operating capital before I would invest that much money even if I had money to throw around. Sounds steep and to many failures already. It looks like Harley has to much inventory out there as used prices are dropping and pretty steeply on certain models. The HD stock is reflecting this as well, so I wouldn't put any money on another cruiser. My .02 cents worth.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:11 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I agree that is a lot of cash to put into a company that just failed again not to long ago. I would have a lot of questions that would have to be answered before putting anything close to that much money down!
Old 09-20-2007, 11:27 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
I wanna Live 'til I die!

Send a message via AIM to signit98
...the average cost of any kind of motorcycle dealership is around 1 million, to get the brand... but then you have requirements to fulfill, like you can not pick just the raisins, you have to take the bikes of lesser popularity and such... a friend and I tried to get a KTM dealership for the Shasta area a while ago and the rules, requirements and restrictions were just to much for my taste...

IMHO they should be happy for every enthusiastic dealer who wants to come aboard... does not seem to be the case anymore!
2001 HD Sportster 1200S - 2005 R1200GS - 2006 Suzuki DR-Z400S
Old 09-20-2007, 12:04 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Snob Pirate

Our last Indian dealer was the Honda dealer in Spfld. They can only hope for such arrangements starting out I would think. What they say and what they will do may be altogether different if they can get a fine facility to sell from.

Guess they want to avoid the "Arnold" situation. Arnold was a farmer outside of Jacksonville who liked Harleys and convinced Harley many years ago to make him a dealer so he and his buddies could get bikes at a good price. He had a metal shed that had a Harley sign on it and not a storefront item to be found like clothes or coffee mugs, just stacks of unlabeled parts which I always hoped were the parts I needed, but never were, and dirt everywhere because the floor was, of course, dirt. He finally gave it up, but I remember the place every time I ride by on IL104 and see the outline of the sign still visible on the building.

BMW had stores like that years ago too minus the dirt floors and maybe with the added bonus of plumbing. I think everybody did and some still do. The bikes still get sold.

geo
Old 09-20-2007, 12:14 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Unfortunately when most people think "Indian" they think "Cruiser" and I think producing "just another cruiser" is the wrong way to go. Problem is that today that market is saturated by H-D and the Metrics all of which have products with superior technical and build quality to what Indian is likely to have initially. So, you've really got to be in love with the name to want such a bike.

If they really want to be in the cruiser space, they should probably go "super premium" or "super custom". They have a premium name...but it still would require lots of design work and technical investment for a clearly different product with interesting technical attributes. There are enough people with a lot of money who are willing to lay down $50K+ for another me-too chopper so maybe there be enough of those customers for an "MV Augusta" or cruisers...maybe. Confederate seems to think so. http://www.confederate.com
Old 09-21-2007, 03:33 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Like the housing market, the motorcycle market is reaching 100% saturation. There are 2006 models still sitting on showroom floors. Harley Davidson had a waiting list and the resale market was booming but like the movie it's GWTW. I R1100S market is real soft as is the Ducati market. High dollar Euro bikes are being cloned in the pacific and Honda cruisers are starting to sound like Harleys. I'd like to know how long the average R1200S is sitting on the showroom floor prior to sale and what will happen when the HP sucks up the small but loyal BMW race crowd. Like the H-D Screaming Eagle line, maybe BMW should be marketing HP upgrades to current R1200S owners to capture the aftermarket more grunt desired 12S owners. IMHO I believe there's more bucks to the reaped there. The cost of the HP will be up there with the Tricolore Duc which is not selling as fast as it runs.

We need more tracks that are accessible without driving 100's of miles to get there.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:38 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

If I had that kinda cash I would be busting BMWNA's chops about a Dual Sport shop in Jackson, WY: BMW bikes and somebody else's quad runners, jet skis and snowmobiles.

There's a grunch of Californicated money as well as gas-field speculator money in that town, but the riding season is too short to support a bike-only type of enterprise.

Or I'd just retire and try hard not to show up on various radars.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:23 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
No try, do or not do

Garage
Q. how do you end up with a million dollar investment in Indian? A. start with two million
Old 09-22-2007, 09:54 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moybin View Post
Dual Sport shop in Jackson, WY:
Is there legal off-road riding there?
Old 09-22-2007, 10:41 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

after the last bankruptcy, there was some talk of polaris/victory buying the indian name. the end result would have been a bulletproof engine with cool fenders. the deal fell through for some reason.

kind of a shame.

the "champagne indian" will only inspire a bunch of drunken firewater jokes, and then be forgotten
Old 09-22-2007, 01:19 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Snob Pirate

Don't worry about the future of cruisers. As long as there are overweight riders there will be cruisers and a market for them.

geo
Old 09-22-2007, 03:24 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: