Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Question Greetings and a Question

Hi All,

I am new to this forum. I recently purchased a 2000 BMW R1100RT so that I could have a bike that would accomodate my lovely wife and it has done that job splendidly. However, recently the bike has shown a habit of idling weakly and then dying after about an hours worth of riding. I pull over, can't get it to start, wait about 8 minutes and then it starts crisply and away I go.

I was told by someone that this is a common problem and is easy to fix, but of course he couldn't tell me what to do. FWIW, this is a retired CHP bike that was repainted and restored to civilian trim.

Any help is really appreciated.

Here's a shot from Death Valley. Mine's the Black RT in the middle.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Hi Jon,

RTs really are great bikes; there's a reason they are so popular, right? Although the engines are very similar to the R11S that this forum was started on, there are some differences (different Motronic, gearbox, etc.) so you might want to take a look over at for a lot of RT-specific discussion, or the MOA forum. If you are OK with listserv format, try the IBMWR Tech list.

It's not unusual for these engines to idle lower when they get warmed up if the adjustments are a bit off. Slow when cold, quicker when warming up, then a bit slower again when up to temp. Just make sure that your throttle tuning work (throttle sync & idle speed) is done when fully up to temp. And if the bike is new to you, you might as well check the ignition timing, valve clearances (cold), and TPS voltage just to cross them off the unknown list. The throttle cable system on your bike holds its adjustment much better than the early crossover cable design, but it's not that easy to set up. Make sure the 'choke' is not affecting the idle when the engine is warm. If you want specifics on any of these, post to one of the groups I mentioned.
Anton Largiader
Charlottesville, VA
Old 09-28-2007, 05:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Not that I had that problem on my R1100S but I did have the same exact symptoms on a VW Jetta a number of years back. It turned out the throttle body was misaligned and needed adjustment. Maybe you should have someone perform a throttle body sync and adjust.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
I had this problem, too ... I lived with it for a while (DUMB) and then took it into a non-BMW garage for a fix ... it seems to me that there was a problem with the fuel pump because when I turned the ignition off and then back on, there was NO "noise" from the fuel pump ... the 'strarting up noise' that you usually get when first turning on the bike! The garage bought a new BMW fuel pump and installed it but after a few days the problem resurfaced.

It culminated with me breaking down in the middle of Hong Kong's busiest cross-harbour tunnel (there are 3 of them for cars) IN THE MIDDLE OF THE EVENING RUSH HOUR! Words cannot describe how much of an ass I felt!

Bike towed to BMW and they have looked at it ... the fuel pump replacement was cocked up and some other things weren't put back properly!

Because I have dealt with BMW over the telephone and because the mechanic speaks english as a second language, I'm not sure exactly what went wrong but I will find out when I get the bike back next week ... they are waiting on a part from Germany but it was something to do with when the bike got warmed up (Hong Kong is still +30 degrees C daytime temp and the evening rush hour start / stop traffic makes the bike get hot VERY quickly), all the electrickery would fail ... sorry, I couldn;t work out which bit exactly and I didn;t press for an answer but I can let you know next week!

Sad fact is that I've had enough of the BoxerCup ... it's not the best bike for Hong Kong's limited road systems and heavy rush hour traffic! I have an interested buyer and will sell on when it's fixed.

My forgotten R1150GS will be sent back to BMW for a full service and replacing those bits that have rotted away after a year of being left covered in the humid weather ... now that IS a great bike for Hong Kong!

I'll let you know what went wrong!

Old 09-28-2007, 11:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Send a message via AIM to ExarKunONe Send a message via Skype™ to ExarKunONe
Take a look at your air filter and spark plugs. Has it been serviced lately?
Old 09-29-2007, 10:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Sorry for the mix-up, guys. I didn't realize this was an S forum. Nevertheless, your comments are helpful.

Thanks for taking the time.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: