Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

My bike is cursed.

Rode into Rapid City, SD last night after an 800 mile day. Left the gas station to spend the night in Spearfish and felt something odd in the rear end at lower speeds. Got to the hotel to find oil dripping from the seal behind the wheel. Tried to fix it, but the spring in the seal is blown out. Drained what was left of fluid to find sparkly madness and sparkly anti-seize like goo on the magnetic plug. Sturgis BMW is closed today. Filled with fresh fluid and it's dripping. I'm going to find a U-Haul. I hate this year. If anyone has any leads for help, I'm up to suggestions. I'll be in the area for a couple hours. I'm usually good at roadside fixes. But they usually aren't my own.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:31 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Sturgis BMW is open on Monday if you can wait. What hotel are you staying at?
Old 09-30-2007, 10:05 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

If you need some local help, check your PM.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:29 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

cursed

Your crown gear bearing has had it. what happens is the metal ball bearing retainer cage starts to come apart. sharp pieces from the cage get ground up. Eventually a piece catches the cover seal. That starts the oil leak. Had a guy in the shop 2 weeks ago on an R12C. Same thing except he ran it till there was no oil in it. He was on a trip and opted for a new one $996 retail. You hopefully can get buy with a new crown gear bearing. The most important part is proper shimming and cover preload. Or you can go with a used one off a wreck. If one is available. IT would be cheaper and a faster fix. Good luck. tjs
Old 09-30-2007, 10:46 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Modog, thanks for the offer for help. If I had parts to install, I'd maybe ask, but what I'd gain isn't much. I've called for help from the hometown. Pelican member and the greatest friend a guy could make in college, Anton, is bailing me out of the mess I've found myself in. Of course, he is mostly responsible for my riding addiction -- I just would never hold him to it. He's on his way. I have cool friends. I hope to return the favors people have lent me. I need to get rid of this bike. It's evil with me.

I'm at 29500 miles with the last rear final drive oil put in at about 14000, when I bought the bike from the PO. I used Mystic 90w. I'm guessing it wasn't low on oil, but the seal broke and got down to low oil. I was riding in the rain, so spotting it while on the road and stopped simply didn't happen. The symptoms are about right, though, as getting from Spearfish to Sturgis to Rapid City looking for an affordable one-way rental (a fruitless effort, especially on Sunday) has turned the seep into a steady drip. Basically when I stop, I lose it all. If it's rolling, little gets to the seal by the centrfugal force. I was considering making a run for it, but the seeping oil is sparkly. And I don't know how long the carrier and gears will last. Better to be parked next to a hotel than stuck on the interstate, or worse, launched at it from a locked rear end.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:59 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
unsafe at any speed

Wow!!! what a good friend he must be!! Is he the one who picked you up in AR. after the deer incident as well?
1969 BSA StarFire
Old 09-30-2007, 02:02 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wswartzwel View Post
Wow!!! what a good friend he must be!! Is he the one who picked you up in AR. after the deer incident as well?
Believe it or not, I have more than one friend who would travel over 600 miles to rescue me. I often think they forget who they are helping. Kirnal was the Arkansas retriever. Anton has bailed multiple people from strandings since I've known him, not necessarily just bikes. A minuteman of the highest nobility.

I would do the same for any of my friends, whom at this point, are mostly riding people. I don't know if my office understands that personal drop-everything policy, but I would make them comply or I'd be out. I'm in huge debt to people I know. Heck, I've been saying that for awhile.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:57 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
unsafe at any speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideshow_S View Post
Believe it or not, I have more than one friend who would travel over 600 miles to rescue me. .

had me beat at the one friend part of the statement...
1969 BSA StarFire
Old 09-30-2007, 05:02 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Man it's flat out here!

Garage
Sorry to hear of your very unfortunate riding year ending like this SideShow. I hope next year goes much better for you.

OTOH, don't feel like you're the only one to suffer repeated misfortune on the planet...we all get our taste of it sooner or later, some worse than others, eh?
"all creeds which refuse to see an intelligent purpose behind the unthinking powers of material nature are intrinsically incoherent. In the order of causation they base reason upon unreason. In the order of logic they involve conclusions which discredit their own premises." Sir Arthur Balfour
Old 09-30-2007, 06:05 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Hey Sideshow, was your bike built on a Monday following the end of Octoberfest?
Old 09-30-2007, 07:10 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: