Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
wrench

Winter tuneup

some pictures...

Patrick

Old 12-21-2007, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
I wanna Live 'til I die!

Send a message via AIM to signit98
...that's a little more elaborate than my winter tune-up... but not bad, not bad at all!

Thanks for sharing, I think you are qualified as a nutter for this board now! Welcome...

If you are bored - being that you are done and all... I can send you my bike!?
2005 R1200GS - 2008 KTM690 Enduro - 2011 Husky TE250
Old 12-21-2007, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
unsafe at any speed

Wow! Great job on realigning the tranny to the engine with off setting the dowels!!
Old 12-21-2007, 08:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

splines

I bet those splines will wear even now. To bad BMW suppliers don't hold the same specs. I know a guy with a 04 Rockster with 15,000 miles and the tranny input splines are worn off. Image them letting go out on the Highway. He was lucky , it happened at a stop light.

Another guys BCR (04) Hall sensor was intermittent. He was on the Highway and almost was run over. Scary stuff
Old 12-22-2007, 06:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Uh....who me?

Great #2 post Patrick! Where do you live? Can I stop by?
Do you have a suggestion about how to clean up the heads on the inside without taking them somewhere to blast? I've got some Ducati heads that could use some of that. I'd prefer to use something that doesn't require changing out the valve guides.
Thanks.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
I wanna Live 'til I die!

Send a message via AIM to signit98
Ah, Bob... once you have the heads off, you may as well change the guides and do a wholesome job... it is not THAT much more work, but it will add some extra "insurance" if you will...

I'd be careful with blasting them... that can create all sorts of issues.
2005 R1200GS - 2008 KTM690 Enduro - 2011 Husky TE250
Old 12-22-2007, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Patrick,

Pull those rods and have them balance and install new rod bearings. If you are going to reuse the pistons have them balanced too, better yet get SJBMW 12:1 HC pistons. Even if you don't port the heads at least match the throttle bodies to the rubber mount and rubber mount to the heads.

Great pics and great job on the rebuild.

Philip
"It's a great bike but I can make it better, then blow it up and then make it better again".

04 R1100S BCR # 195
03 R1100S BCR #44 R.I.P. new home with 'onekiwi'
1150 cc cylinders
12:1 SJBMW pistons
BMW 36 mm intake valves
Ported and polished heads (just a little)
'07 R1200R cams
TBs bored +3 mm
Throttle bodies matched to rubber mounts matched to heads
SJBMW Exhaust Accelerator Kit (modified)
Exhaust pipe welds ground down
Laser Exhaust
Laser 2 spark Chip
InDuct
SJ PowerFilter
K's 3.5 bar regulator
Ohlins
Sargant Seat
Spiegler SS Brake Lines
LED tail/stop light and turn signals
Aux Fuel Tank (6.8 gallons total)
Old 12-22-2007, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Great photos and interesting curved wear on the splines.

Thnaks, RB
Old 12-23-2007, 10:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Banned

Fasterpatrick -

Great set of procedures. Thanks. Gotta make space for a lathe in my shop.

With that degree of wear on the spline, do you think the wear could be detected shaking the rear wheel in a high gear or is there just too much normal tolerance between the wheel and the clutch? Can you feel it through the gap with the starter motor removed? Any way besides tearing apart?

Your comment about Honda Moly grease: are you saying there is wear despite the visible residue of that grease? Or any grease? Does that leaves Mercury Green grease last grease standing?

Thanks.

Last edited by Peter Parts; 12-23-2007 at 11:37 AM..
Old 12-23-2007, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Underwater basketweaver

Send a message via AIM to SergioK Send a message via Yahoo to SergioK
Wow... just WOW!
Old 12-23-2007, 11:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hancock View Post
Do you have a suggestion about how to clean up the heads on the inside without taking them somewhere to blast? I've got some Ducati heads that could use some of that. I'd prefer to use something that doesn't require changing out the valve guides.
Well, what's shown in those pictures is to use an oxy/acetylene cutting torch to cook the carbon. It's sort of like using a self cleaning oven. But you probably don't want to practice on good heads, because if you botch it up, you can easily melt valve seat inserts, or iron valve guides, because... well... you are using a cutting torch. When you're done with that step, let the head cool a bit so you can handle it, then blast it with baking soda. You wouldn't want to use sand or glass beads, because you'll never get all the abrasive out. But with baking soda, when you're done, just wash the head in soapy water and it all dissolves and washes away.

This is the gun I used for that:

http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/UNI-007.html

As far as using something other than a torch and baking soda blasting... *shrug* scrape it out and use some carb cleaner on the rest I guess. But you're not going to get it as clean as with a torch and baking soda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Parts View Post
With that degree of wear on the spline, do you think the wear could be detected shaking the rear wheel in a high gear or is there just too much normal tolerance between the wheel and the clutch? Can you feel it through the gap with the starter motor removed?

Your comment about Honda Moly grease: are you saying there is wear despite the visible residue of that grease?
I doubt you could discern that free play at the rear wheel. Maybe, but I doubt it. There's a bit of backlash in the gear dogs too. But yeah, pulling the starter off, maybe if you pulled in the clutch lever to push the pressure plate forward, and reached in to spin the clutch disk back and forth, you might be able to discern between play at the splines from the gear dog backlash inside the trans from that end. That's a good idea.

And yes, that was my point about the Honda Moly 60. I cleaned the splines of the disk and shaft, used a brush to evenly coat them with moly, and you can see the wear in 23k miles. So I think lack of lube or quality of lube is not the root problem here.

Patrick
Old 12-24-2007, 12:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Uh....who me?

Well since I don't own a torch and have never used one and these are good heads I guess I'll just clean 'em up with plan B. Thanks though.....was wondering how you got them so nice.
Old 12-24-2007, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Walnut shell use to be a very popular blasting medium for blasting inside engines. There has been a lot of dry ice blasting for paint removal, but could be an effective blasting medium as well.

Both would eliminate the reside issue.
Old 12-25-2007, 04:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Interesting work! How was the indicator stand trued to the crank centerline? (I'm no machinist).

best,

Dave
99 R11S
Old 12-26-2007, 08:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSoine View Post
How was the indicator stand trued to the crank centerline?
It doesn't have to be trued to the crank. All it has to be is solidly attached. Spin the crank, and the stand spins in a circle with it. The indicator follows a circle too, and if that circle is concentric with the bore you're trying to measure, all is happy and the indicator reading doesn't change all the way around. If it is not, the indicator will tell you how far out of line the two are.

And something I did not take into account when I first did this, was the crank to main bearing clearance. Someone on the ibmwr tech list pointed it out to me and I had to go back and take the measurements again while wobbling the crank around in its bearings, then move the bushing inserts again. So it was a little more work than indicated in those photos, but still, stock it wasn't lined up. But the difference was more like 3 thou than 5 thou.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Banned

But once the hard parts wore down 3 or 5 thou, wouldn't they then be sitting pretty?
Old 12-27-2007, 08:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

> do you think the wear could be detected shaking the rear wheel in a high gear or is there just too much normal tolerance between the wheel and the clutch?

There's a ton of slop in there, just in the rear end, much less the transmission. Not impossible, but not anything well quantifiable.

> But once the hard parts wore down 3 or 5 thou, wouldn't they then be sitting pretty?

Jeez no. That's just more slop and more misalignment (albeit possibly slightly slightly less binding) and thus still more wear.

OnRoad OffRoad Cycles, Austin, TX: BMW, Ital, Suspension, Electrics
Dealer for K-Tech, JRI, GP Suspension, Penske, ÷hlins, RaceTech, Elka, Wilbers, IKON & Works
www.ororcycle.com

CMRA EXPERT #841
Various Formula 5, 6 & 7 championships 2006-2012

A3, Navigator,
Old 12-27-2007, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Living on borrowed time!

bob hancock:
a soda blaster from eastwood (www.eastwood.com) is the ticket for easy carbon removal. I just bought the gun (it's different for soda than for other media) and use my existing tank.

If you do the ports consider extrudehoneing them
(http://www.extrudehone.com/)

'I am John Andrew Moffett of the Clan Moffat and by god I live, love, seek, fail, grieve and die as I so choose and I call no man master save me'.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

btw, I've used soda in a cheap generic small handheld regular media blaster from harbor freight to very good results. A purpose built one with smaller jetting might be better, or maybe run longer on the same amount of soda, but a regular one works very well. great for carbs, and really old vintage and brass fittings.

I've never had luck with Walnut media. I've tried two different grain sizes with a bunch of different orifice sizes in a pressure blaster, and have never gotten by w/o nearly instant clogging.

If anyone has had better luck than me and could tell me how I'm messing up, I'd be glad to hear it.

OnRoad OffRoad Cycles, Austin, TX: BMW, Ital, Suspension, Electrics
Dealer for K-Tech, JRI, GP Suspension, Penske, ÷hlins, RaceTech, Elka, Wilbers, IKON & Works
www.ororcycle.com

CMRA EXPERT #841
Various Formula 5, 6 & 7 championships 2006-2012

A3, Navigator,
Old 12-27-2007, 12:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Uh....who me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonyRR View Post
bob hancock:
a soda blaster from eastwood (www.eastwood.com) is the ticket for easy carbon removal. I just bought the gun (it's different for soda than for other media) and use my existing tank.

If you do the ports consider extrudehoneing them
(http://www.extrudehone.com/)
Good reference....will check it out and put it on the list. Thanks Jony.

Old 12-27-2007, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: