Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

R11S Electrical Issue

I have a problem that some may have experienced. I haven't ridden in a few weeks due to weather and job so yesterday I decided to take a little ride. First of all, when I tried to take off from idle the bike would die. Restarting a few times drained the battery so I recharged overnight. Today was another nice day so I jumped back on the bike with a fresh charge and still the same thing happened. My first thought was some sort of fuel starvation. Maybe gummed up injectors. I let it idle a little longer than usual then took off for the store. During the ride it seemed to lose power at certain times. Each time it stopped I could easily restart it. Made it to the garden center but was a little worried about getting back home. On the ride home I needed to make a few sharp turns and each time the bike died. I finally make it home and put the bike on the center stand. At this point I'm no longer thinking it's a fuel issue. With the bike idling I turn the handlebars full left. No problem. I turn the handlebars full right. The bike turns off. I repeat with the same result. Then without starting the bike I turn the ignition key to on and turn the handlebar to the right. All power is lost. Definitely an electrical issue. Turning right is pulling the plug on power.
So, the question to all of you is what wire, cable am I shorting by turning the bars to the right? I didn't have time to dive into it today but will this week.

Thanks
Old 01-13-2008, 11:16 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ExarKunONe Send a message via Skype™ to ExarKunONe
This happened to me too. The cause was an ignition switch wire breaking. I'd check there at the bottom of the key switch. Its an easy repair.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:12 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

yup, classic ingition switch wiring issue. after you find the break, look to reroute it to gain another inch or so. some were delivered with the switch harness routed incorrectly, or just tied up too tight.
2001 R11S "lite", with a few mods.
2009 F800GS. has a better saddle.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:17 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Yep, not a short at all, but an open. Some of these bikes didn't have their harness lengths cut too generously, and they pull, and over time, separate one or more wires at the base of the ignition. Bunch of threads on it. Some guys cut at least one of the factory cable ties to gain a bit of slack and ward this off. As has been said in several threads (but most don't do it, thinking it will happen to some other guy and not them) Check your harness!

OnRoad OffRoad Cycles, Austin, TX: BMW, Ital, Suspension, Electrics
Dealer for K-Tech, JRI, GP Suspension, Penske, Íhlins, RaceTech, Elka, Wilbers, IKON & Works
www.ororcycle.com

CMRA EXPERT #841
Various Formula 5, 6 & 7 championships 2006-2012

A3, Navigator,
Old 01-14-2008, 04:58 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks, that's the first place I'll check tonight.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:07 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

there's a teeny, tiny little set screw in the key cylinder that holds the switch in. place a towel or some such under the bike before you remove it. Its likely that you'll drop it.

I was born a rightie but now I'm a leftie.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:57 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
now there's somebody who's definitely done that procedure.

flattie, you forgot the part about the flashlight and magnifying glass necessary to find said screw when it "per-clink-ZZZiiiiiinggggsss" away and across the garage....somewhere....
Old 01-14-2008, 03:14 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I probably will not have time to tear into it until Wednesday. In the mean time I'll order a couple of those screws...just in case.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:20 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Just an update on my electrical issue. You guys were right on the money. It was the ignition switch. When I removed it the break in the red wire was obvious. The sheath protecting the wire group actually allowed the wire break to make contact. As soon as I turn the bars the red wire separates and the bike turns off.

I managed to put everything back together without losing that little grub screw too. I even had enough energy to do a couple of other tasks I've been wanting to tackle like: re-install my power filter, hardwire my Garmin Zumo, re-install my new low HID ballast, replace several instrument panel bulbs and replace the hand grips.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:45 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: