Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

jeverett486,

Due to the location, I'd suspect a combination of engine heat and road grit. The heat will soften the paint and road grit, especially in wet conditions, will be picked up and directed straight back and up at the engine at the speed you are traveling. This gritty mixture is the same as a sandblaster. Once the paint is penetrated the corrosion will begin, work its way under the paint, and it spreads.

I've installed a "FenderXtender" plus an innertube extension to that on my '99 RT and recently, a slightly different but longer version on my '00 K12RS. "ABS Front Fender Extender Extension For BMW F650GS (twin) F800GS /Adv EV Black" on fleabay for $19. See pics.

You have to get the fender extend down far enough to be directly between the tire's contact patch and what you are trying to protect. Most fenders stop way too high, I guess because of the "looks".

The paint on these old horses looks OK compared to the new ones!! Just needs washing.

Old 10-18-2017, 08:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: