Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

R12S Timing Cover Corrosion

I did a search of the forum and didn't find a thread on this issue. I wonder if others are experiencing the same problem I'm having.

from the other side...

I spoke a little with a service tech and he said he has seen it before here in Sweden. He says that the black paint is applied quite thinnly versus the silver painted engines and should the paint be pelleted with small stones and subject to water, corrosion wll result.

Unfortunately, BMW has no guarantee on rost/corrosion, so I'm not even sure that the warranty will cover the cost of removal, sandblasting, and repainting.

But the dealer is willing to take pictures and submit a warranty claim. We must then wait for BMW's response.

I will update when I have an answer. I think it's a shame that a bike that costs so much can suffer from such poor tolerance to the elements.

Comments?

I think this helps explain how I got here.

Last edited by jeverett486; 02-24-2008 at 02:44 AM.. Reason: more clarity on subject
Old 02-24-2008, 01:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Indeed, quality these days...well you know (my black 12S > still OK - mind).

BTW > it's suspiciously...suspicious the fact that there's no reliability ratings/claims/etc sites around concerning bikes (or at least I can't find anything - like http://autos.msn.com/home/reliability_ratings.aspx ).

Some conspiracy theory stuff going on?
Old 02-24-2008, 01:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter f View Post
Indeed, quality these days...well you know (my black 12S > still OK - mind).

BTW > it's suspiciously...suspicious the fact that there's no reliability ratings/claims/etc sites around concerning bikes (or at least I can't find anything - like http://autos.msn.com/home/reliability_ratings.aspx ).

Some conspiracy theory stuff going on?
Comspiracy maybe. Or maybe I was just negligent on my cleaning routines... in any case, I never expected to see such results in less than one year of ownership.

Old 02-24-2008, 01:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Ghost Spoiler

Garage
I've done 8000kms on country roads (not smooth and lots of loose debri) but havnt seen any wear marks yet although IMO the plastic guard on top there at the front is poor and small stones and dirt have gotten inside it.

If it were stones I'd have thought that the wear area would be uniform and not here and there like it is. When I saw the above pic I initially thought it was a corrosive issue, for example fluid that has gathered and caused the corrosion.

Sorry for your misfortune and it will be interesting to see others who have had the problem and indeed what BMW say about it.

...and G'day
Old 02-24-2008, 01:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewie View Post
I've done 8000kms on country roads (not smooth and lots of loose debri) but havnt seen any wear marks yet although IMO the plastic guard on top there at the front is poor and small stones and dirt have gotten inside it.

If it were stones I'd have thought that the wear area would be uniform and not here and there like it is. When I saw the above pic I initially thought it was a corrosive issue, for example fluid that has gathered and caused the corrosion.

Sorry for your misfortune and it will be interesting to see others who have had the problem and indeed what BMW say about it.

...and G'day
Exactly what is so weird with the corrosion it is very random and only present on the timining chain cover. The most is ant the bottom where stones would hit, but there is evidence of corrosion in nearly all the bolt areas.

Old 02-24-2008, 02:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Something's not right with that one!
I've got 30,000km and no corrosion at all; and I'm just 500m from the ocean where the salt corrodes everything :S
Do they salt the roads over there? Do you ride in winter anyway? Perhaps the tyre is flicking up slush/salt as opposed to stones like some of us get..... Just a thought.
Can't help otherwise, unless it's some kind of weird electrolysis or something.

Ant
Old 02-24-2008, 03:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Maybe you picked up some nasty chemicals on the road, which can happen. Over the years, I have had “3” beeemer twins and have not experienced such as problem. However, in that area I pay special attention in keeping it clean/wiped down with various brands of “spray cleaner polish”, which helps tremendously in keeping it as nice as possible (but, one can only do so much, for that area is so exposed and susceptible to rock chips/crap on the road). With this in mind, you might want to consider a belly pan?

Good luck
Mike K.
Gray/silver 12S
Dana Point, CA.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkletecka View Post
Maybe you picked up some nasty chemicals on the road, which can happen. Over the years, I have had ď3Ē beeemer twins and have not experienced such as problem. However, in that area I pay special attention in keeping it clean/wiped down with various brands of ďspray cleaner polishĒ, which helps tremendously in keeping it as nice as possible (but, one can only do so much, for that area is so exposed and susceptible to rock chips/crap on the road). With this in mind, you might want to consider a belly pan?

Good luck
Mike K.
Gray/silver 12S
Dana Point, CA.
I have had over twenty different BMWs of various age. I've had ones with rost and corrosion from various sources, but I have never seen type of cancer on a a painted aluminum surface.

I am definitely looking to bellypans. It seems the one that covers the most is Ilmberger. But that is a topic of other threads.

I am hoping that the dealer (i.e., BMW) will cover the repairs. I have not ridden it in anything worse than heavy rain. They do salt roads here, but I haven't ridden following any salting.

I've only had the bike since July and ridden it 3,000 km. I don't recall seeing any sign of corrosion when I bought it (used).

Jay

Old 02-24-2008, 05:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I see that you live in Sweden. That looks like the corrosion associated with snow and ice removal coupled with living in a sea salt environment. Aluminum or Magnesium alloys really hate NaCl and also some of the urine base ice melting agents. Your condition has been accelerated by the front tire throwing high speed salt impregnated material at the cover which also set up a dielectric corrosion equation between the cover and the bolts which are dissimilar in composition.

Last edited by Guest24; 02-24-2008 at 05:44 AM..
Old 02-24-2008, 05:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

One other issue to consider: galvanic corrosion. I have had extensive experience (in a former job) with aluminum, water, steel and stainless steel fasteners. Aluminum is more anodic than steel and particularly stainless steel. The fasteners (Torx bolts) will "bite" into the paint, breaking the surface. Now you have two dissimilar metals in contact with each other in an electrolyte (water, or worse, salt water). The aluminum become the sacrificial anode and corrodes away.

To my eye the pattern of the corrosion is very much galvanic corrosion.

My 2 cents worth.

.........Purple is Satire.........
Old 02-24-2008, 06:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moybin View Post
One other issue to consider: galvanic corrosion. I have had extensive experience (in a former job) with aluminum, water, steel and stainless steel fasteners. Aluminum is more anodic than steel and particularly stainless steel. The fasteners (Torx bolts) will "bite" into the paint, breaking the surface. Now you have two dissimilar metals in contact with each other in an electrolyte (water, or worse, salt water). The aluminum become the sacrificial anode and corrodes away.

To my eye the pattern of the corrosion is very much galvanic corrosion.

My 2 cents worth.
Thanks Moybin, that what I was attempting to say. In this case on a relatively new bike, I suspect that the ice and snow removal agents have accelerated the process. Another penny's worth.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I recall several years back taking a group from the U.S. on a dirt bike ride north of where I live. It began to rain and we were driving on some gravel roads between trails. They apply lime on the roads to control dust I guess but mixing with the water it created a kind of acid. We didn't think anything of it and left the bikes in the garage until the following weekend and when we pulled them out they were completely coroded. The lesson I learned was alway wash my bike off after a ride as you never know what is on the road surface.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Hi,
I'm on my second replacement front cover due to corrosion!! Also had a pair of Head covers and a Bevel box replaced due to the same issue. A new pair of Throttle Bodies due to the paint peeling off. All done under warranty with no arguement. BMW quality--yeah right!!

Peter.

herrman
Old 02-24-2008, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by herrman View Post
Hi,
I'm on my second replacement front cover due to corrosion!! Also had a pair of Head covers and a Bevel box replaced due to the same issue. A new pair of Throttle Bodies due to the paint peeling off. All done under warranty with no arguement. BMW quality--yeah right!!

Peter.
Thank you for your response. I was seriously beginning to think I had neglected my bike.

I would love to hear from you which dealer you took your bike to (send via private message if you like), I might just call them for a referral when I take mine in.

Jay

Old 02-24-2008, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

peeling paint timing cover

replying to an old thread.

I just noticed the paint is beginning to peel around the edges of the timing cover (1200s with only ~30k kms).

I didn't notice any corrosion, just the paint curled up and flaking off. Common?

thanks
Old 10-17-2017, 07:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
sɹǝʇndɯoɔ sǝʇɐɥ

Garage
I haven't seen that on mine.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Do like they do on ships, cabling and other metal stuff - give it something else to corrode. Bolt a small piece of magnesium to an oxidation free spot inside or outside the cover. The magnesium has a higher corrosion potential than the aluminum and 'should' corrode before the aluminum shows any.

Last edited by tm1100s; 10-17-2017 at 10:40 AM..
Old 10-17-2017, 10:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Sorry for the colour correction (and orientation - left is up), but here is a photo of the paint peeling.

There is not "rusting" but there is pitting to the metal (looks like cast aluminum?). The paint is flaking off, and the bare spots were scraped off with a plastic picnic knife. The peeling is worst/originated where there are the sharp radii around the fasteners.

Am I correct that this is not oil retaining, and I can remove and get it blasted and powder coated over the winter, no harm- no fowl? I don't want to think of how much a replacement part might be. I should look up the exploded parts fiche, but is this two-piece aluminum / plastic?

Old 10-18-2017, 06:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
sɹǝʇndɯoɔ sǝʇɐɥ

Garage
Wow that is something. Do you ride around near the ocean a lot? Ride in the winter often on the nice days where dried road salt dust gets all over stuff? It looks like it is spreading from the bolts where the 2 different metals meet.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

We have lots of salt on our roads, but this bike has been very sheltered.

I got the bike with ~1200 kms, and now has ~29k something. It's been run in "weather" but never put away wrapped up to hold moisture, etc.

It's never been run on salty roads (winter) and its never been to a coast or seen the ocean.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: