Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
John, Jacksonville, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioK View Post
If you are afraid of scarring the bike, don't ride on roads with other vehicles...behind them obviously.
I'm building a humidity-temperature controlled Lucite enclosure to cover my HP2S that's going to be mounted on a solid granite pedestal. In fact, removing the air and piping in pure Helium (perhaps Argon or Krypton) in an effort to thwart decomposition/corrosion.

When I ride, there will be a vacuum cleaner truck riding ahead of me to ensure no rocks/pebbles/gravel hit anything. Damn Florida Love Bugs gonna be a problem tho'.
'09 HP2 Sport #106
'09 R12RT, Full Remus
'07 GS Adventure (With McCruise, Full Remus)
Old 11-12-2008, 09:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Underwater basketweaver

Send a message via AIM to SergioK Send a message via Yahoo to SergioK
That was my plan B.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
lxddle

John,

If it makes you feel any better I get a ton of bugs in the face and on my helmet and not as many on the front of the bike. I guess it's pretty aero.

LX
Yamaha WR250R
Honda CT70
Old 11-12-2008, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

I'm back from JAX with one of anal John Palamaro's bikes. 9 months in service and showroom condition. Wife loves it John.

I ran into the Wooldridges', owners of BMW Motorcycles o Atlanta and Bob told me that he has two HP2S on the floor ready for immediate delivery ABS and non-ABS. On the subject of mirrors, No time to look back when I'm going faster than anyone out there. If it's a cop just listen for the siren. The mirrors are just a convenient place to hang my helmet.

Besides, when I do the Ducati lookback people think I'm friendlier.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

HP2 Sport Mirrors

Here are some S1000 mirrors on a HP2 Sport. Look pretty good. Rear-view-mirror from BMW S 1000 RR on BMW HP2 Sport - YouTube
Old 12-21-2011, 03:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Uh....who me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by szazbo View Post
Here are some S1000 mirrors on a HP2 Sport. Look pretty good. Rear-view-mirror from BMW S 1000 RR on BMW HP2 Sport - YouTube
Woulda been more helpful if they showed the stock mirrors and then the S1000RR mirrors to show style differences. The question is still begged though....why?
Old 12-21-2011, 04:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)
No try, do or not do

Garage
Looks like they had to drill another hole in the fairing
Old 12-21-2011, 04:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Shreddr, I've seen this mod at Touring Sport BMW Ducati. The bolts are larger and require increasing the diameter of the existing holes in the cf.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
The bolt holes need to be larger and the centres are 30mm instead of 45mm. So one more hole needs to be drilled.

I looked at all the bikes I could find at the Seattle MC show and I still think the S1000RR mirrors fit the bike the best.

To answer Bob's question as to why???.............to see behind......the stock mirrors are horrible!
All you can see is your elbows.

Cheers
Old 12-21-2011, 09:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Uh....who me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droptarotter View Post
To answer Bob's question as to why???.............to see behind......the stock mirrors are horrible!
All you can see is your elbows.

Cheers
That's what I was hoping you'd say.

Of course, a good view of elbow is a Ducati Tradition so I was comfortable with that in the past. Anymore, however, I'm not comfortable with much that doesn't recline.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

I wish I had the expertise to finish this concept mod for moving the mirror down and out a bit. It solved the problem and was totally reversible using the OEM mirror. I envisioned it in a aerodynamic cf form.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Uh....who me?

Just a shame y'all feel the need, practical or otherwise, to mess with such a beautiful design. I'd have one of these bad boys if I had the juice and I'd keep it looking stock.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Bob, the HP2S is getting harder to find, just like the Ducati 900SS/FE. Two scooters I have great memories to relive in my mind.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
No try, do or not do

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nail24 View Post
I wish I had the expertise to finish this concept mod for moving the mirror down and out a bit. It solved the problem and was totally reversible using the OEM mirror. I envisioned it in a aerodynamic cf form.

Bubba, this is the best solution I have seen so far. If I can't come up with something else, I am going to do the same thing, only I will make it out of CF plate. Ideally somebody will make an angled riser that uses all the stock parts. Hornig make a riser, but all it does is prop the mirrors up an inch, they need to be angled out about 30 degrees as well. I asked Nigel at Sandbar if he could make something, but he was busy with some other projects.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Shreddr, the riser has been done and failed. I'll tell you, I think you and Ken probably have the contact to take my concept all the way. I think it would sell. The attach point would be a teardrop hump to encapsulate the studs for attaching to the fairing, It would be contoured to blend with the curve of the fairing over the edge and then be drilled and recessed on the bottom for the mirror attachment. The cf would match the bike. Well, that's the vision I have for it. Like Hancock states, it would not be a rad mod and completely reversible. Rapid Dog or Motoyoyo might know someone on the left coast that could come up with a cf prototype for you to test out.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Underwater basketweaver

Send a message via AIM to SergioK Send a message via Yahoo to SergioK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hancock View Post
Just a shame y'all feel the need, practical or otherwise, to mess with such a beautiful design. I'd have one of these bad boys if I had the juice and I'd keep it looking stock.
+1

I'm with Bob on this one. I've added/changed nothing on my HP2 Sport except for a power plug for my V1. Oh I'm sure there's a bug splat and rock chip here or there, but those are beauty marks.

As for the mirrors, I'm often too busy looking forward to worry about looking backwards. I have also discovered you can still see the red light from a LEO's lightbar using the fully 100% stock mirrors.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
No try, do or not do

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nail24 View Post
Shreddr, the riser has been done and failed.

I think Ken probably has the contact to take my concept all the way.
One version of the riser has been done by Hornig and is not a complete improvement, but I am sure it is better than stock. A properly done riser/angle mount would solve the problem completely, a new longer stalk with a bend in it would also solve the problem and would look OEM.

As far as the contact to take your concept all the way, if you are talking about the half assed TekCarbon PoS, I would rethink that based on the experience of many of the board members. Nigel over at Sandbar has an idea, but it is low on his list of projects.

I am going to get ahold of a salvage mirror and take it apart and see how hard it would be to do new stalks, maybe something in a nice black ano billet!
Old 12-22-2011, 01:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Garage
I tried something like Nail made.........but it just seemed too flimsy.
It might have been the plastic material I used, but I did not like it.

I made my own extenders out of some 2" teflon that was carved to fit.
I'm still not happy with how it looks.......and have not tried it on the road, but it looks like I can see behind better now.
I am still on the search for something nicer looking.

While checking all the mirrors on the bikes at the Seattle MC show............I noticed that the Davidson's had something interesting written on the mirrors;

"Objects in this Mirror are Behind You"

Cheers
Old 12-22-2011, 06:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

I think the reason that you can see the drilled hole in the video is that the mirror needed to be moved forward so you could see out of them due to the extra width and being to close. Otherwise due to the different bolt pattern he could have covered up the hole. Does any one have a drawing of their idea. I have someone that could do this for us as he builds carbon bicycle and aerospace stuff and has his own shop.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
No try, do or not do

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by szazbo View Post
Does any one have a drawing of their idea. I have someone that could do this for us as he builds carbon bicycle and aerospace stuff and has his own shop.
Cool, I will work on it over the break! There is a riser out there made by Hornig, but it just jacks it up an inch. They probably need to go up and out an inch, a placement similar to the R12S which was fine. I am sure BMW acheived the styling function they were after, and perhaps they figured the mirrors wouldn't spend much time on the bike. I did notice they seem to be in the right place if you are in full tuck and your elbows are against the tank, unfortunately I only spend about 30% of my riding in full aero tuck!
Old 12-23-2011, 04:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: