Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
No try, do or not do

Garage
I am so in for a set of those Szazbo, nice job!
Old 05-04-2012, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #81 (permalink)

HP2 Sport Mirror Bracket update.

Ok here is the promised update on the HP2 Sport/ S1000 Mirror mounts. I worked on this through the week trying to get it into aluminum from the plastic quick prototype piece that has evolved over the last few months. Didn’t have too many paying jobs, so this got more attention.
On the plastic piece the indents for the breakaway connection needed more attention. They worked but not as well as the stock S1000 ones did. Spent a lot of time hand machining and then transferring that to the CNC and now have them perfect.
The other bigger problem was due to the complex shape and angles the CNC could not get into the area where the upper arm meets the base. After 2 different aluminum tries, it came out with the correct dimensions but looked like a blob of metal. Might not matter much as it under the rubber cover but it sent me back to the drawing board literraly.
I decided to make it out of 2 pieces. The base and the upright and then screw and epoxy them together. This meant another complete drawing and program and was a little complicated to get the holes in the correct location through 2 pieces with the angles. What resulted was the mount that you see here. It works, and doesn’t look bad.
There is still one more prototype to go. The screws will be hidden and in blind holes (I think) and I want to change the angle on the base piece or move the detents clockwise a few degrees to move the mirror arm forward. At the angle it is which is the same as the S1000 taller riders (me) could use more adjustment. Hopefully that will happen next week.
They are installed with the stock mirror screws. I weighed the mirrors and the new mirror is 50 grams less than the original, so less weight but more leverage.
Then make sure all everything was in the CNC program so there are no manual processes and make one more left bracket. Mirror image the left program and make a right and see how it is. There was some thought to making a mold and making these out of carbon. I would need 2 molds and the cycle time would be twice as much as the mill. With the limited amount of these that will be made, it would not be worth the investment.
I will see how much time I have next week to get the next changes completed. Planning on taking some extra days off and head to Nor Cal and the Sierra roads and passes (all open now) with the little lady on the RT. Might drop in on the 49’er rally too.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #82 (permalink)
No try, do or not do

Garage
SWEET! don't forget I am in for a set!

unlike my self indulgent quest for horsepower and exclusivity your mod is actually an improvement every HP2S owner can use and appreciate, well done!
Old 05-20-2012, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #83 (permalink)

Garage
Cash is ready whenever you get them done. I will take a pair!
I already picked up a nice set of used mirrors, so keep us all posted.

Good job Szabo!!
Old 05-20-2012, 09:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #84 (permalink)
Misfit

Crazy mad skills. Impressive.

N.

I Do Vapor Blasting! Visit restocycle.com for information.
Ikon shocks for your BMW! https://www.ikonshocksusa.com/
Old 05-20-2012, 03:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #85 (permalink)
Underwater basketweaver

Send a message via AIM to SergioK Send a message via Yahoo to SergioK
That looks absolutely fantastic!
Old 05-20-2012, 03:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #86 (permalink)

I want one!

I would love to get a set for my bike!
would you ship to Israel?
Old 05-20-2012, 09:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #87 (permalink)

I'm in for a set. Just let us all know when to send the money and where to send it. Does there need to be a thin gasket in place between the mount plate and the carbon fiber shell. I think there needs to be something in place there so that when the mirrors are not mounted, there will be no worn marks in the carbon fiber top gel coat which would then be full exposed. Curious.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #88 (permalink)

HP2 Sport mirror

Actually the rubber boot from the S1000 mirror goes around the base and is the gasket for the base, and the shape of it covers the outline from the stock mirrors the way it is positioned. It was actually one of the design elements. Thanks to all for your interests. As soon as I have the final parts and have ridden them, I will figure out the price and let you know.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #89 (permalink)

Spectacular effort and result!
Old 05-21-2012, 10:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #90 (permalink)

i'm in too. anxiously awaiting pricing and ordering info.

steve
Old 06-21-2012, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #91 (permalink)

Me too.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #92 (permalink)

HP2 Sport Mirror Update

Been weeks since an update. All the mills running building molds for aerospace projects and they are paying the rent and groceries. Had another 10 hours this week so made the changes to the left bracket to rotate the mirror forward and add more stability. Made a mirror (no pun) image of the left one for the right side. added some depth to the indents blah blah. Made the upright pieces twice as thick to hide the exposed screws on the last prototype and strength. I mounted both tonight on the bike and will finally get the test drive in tomorrow. Will still need a few small program adjustments so that the right and left bases are interchangeable.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #93 (permalink)

Garage
Yeehaw...........I'm patiently waiting.......mirrors have been collecting dust in the mean time!

Keep us posted
Old 06-29-2012, 11:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #94 (permalink)

Finally Last Prototype

I Know everyone is thinking that these things are vaporware, but the mills have been running 12 hours a day making aerospace stuff that pays the rent. Had a break this week and cranked out three more versions with slight modifications. It seems easy to just copy the original ones and change the mounting hole location. This is a pretty wierd shaped piece and in reality is not that simple.
The part that was the most challenging was the "clocking" of the indents so that there was enough adjustment in the mirror for different height riders. So I am happy with it all now, and have sent a set of prototypes to another Pelican for input. I am riding the latest set Sunday, and expect that they will be fine. All the tooling is complete as is the programming. Simplified the design so the bases are interchangeable. There are no manual steps at this point except assembly.
Will get the material next week and do the 1st production run.
I am going to send them out for anodizing so the metal is protected. Will send another update as soon as they come back and are ready to ship. Also have to come up with pricing. Those interested in the US let me know and I will contact you. Anywhere else Sandbar will be distributing them (at this time) Thanks for all of your patience, these will be cool. I will also make a installation video/conversion video.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #95 (permalink)

Latest update on mirror brackets

So in the last 2 weeks or so I have been testing the mirrors and resolving the non standard hardware I had used in the previous prototypes. This resulted in some small adustments in the programming. I was attempting to make sure that most people could install these themselves without too much hassle. I have had these things apart so many times that I just assumed anyone else could do the same with some basic mechanical skills.
I contacted Droptrarotter and asked him if he would test a set for me. See if he could convert the mirrors and get them on his bike and to give me feedback. I sent him a set without too much instructions and DT reported to me that he was having some issues with the conversion. Now DT is a mechanical genius (which I didn't know at the time) We went back and forth with emails, I made a video and sent it to him and tried to replicate what he was experiencing.
Turns out that the problem was with the screws and type of nuts I chose. When pivoting the mirror repeatedly the locknut would loosen some. This was not in its normal usage but needed to be corrected. Changed the locknut from a nylock to a stover and changed one flat washer to a larger one, and changed the base screws to stainless. It also does take a little more than average mechanical skill to convert these.
DT will do a write-up later as he has left on a bicycle tour. Thanks DT for the feedback so I could get them perfected.
So tomorrow the 1st production run of 10 sets will begin and should be completed early next week.
I have recieved a several PM's from interested parties. I have negotiated a deal with the local dealer to get a discount on the S1000 mirrors if don't already have them. I will offer the mirrors already converted, so you can just bolt them on or just the brackets if you want to do it yourself. I am still settling on the pricing but it will be reasonable.
If you are interested send me a PM so I can get an idea of quantity of mirror/brackets or just brackets.
No other photos, because they essentially the same as what I have posted. Also will cross post this on BMWSR.
Thanks
Old 07-18-2012, 09:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #96 (permalink)

I would take 10 sets.

Cost!

Where should I Transfer
Old 07-19-2012, 03:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #97 (permalink)

I would take 10 sets.

Cost!

Where should I Transfer
Old 07-19-2012, 04:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #98 (permalink)
No try, do or not do

Garage
I am still in brother, I will take the set with mirrors included. PMed you!
Old 07-19-2012, 06:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #99 (permalink)

What a wonderful project, that will help all of us. I am still in for a full set, mirrors, brackets, gaskets, ect.....ready to bolt up. Let us know the price and where to send the money.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #100 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: