Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Szazbo can make more but he needs a minimum of 5 to do a run.

Anyone else need adapters?
Old 02-27-2018, 11:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #121 (permalink)

I do.

2010 HP2 Sport
2010 S1000rr
2007 R1200s
Old 02-27-2018, 01:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #122 (permalink)

I’ll take a pair too!
Old 02-27-2018, 04:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #123 (permalink)

Please take my money. I'm tired of looking at my shoulders.

2010 HP2 Sport
2010 S1000rr
2007 R1200s
Old 02-27-2018, 04:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #124 (permalink)

Ok, I'll tell him we have four people and I guess I'll just keep the extra set.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #125 (permalink)

For those interested, I've sent Szazbo an email stating that we have 4 people who want them. I'll wait for instructions on payment. He will probably want to be paid direct. If we can't find a fifth person, I'll just take two, I guess.

I'll keep you posted on his response and payment instructions.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #126 (permalink)

Maddmike,

Thanks for putting this together. I will await instructions on payment.

2010 HP2 Sport
2010 S1000rr
2007 R1200s
Old 02-28-2018, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #127 (permalink)

Thanks, keep me posted, got motorcycle money burning a hole in my pocket...
Old 02-28-2018, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #128 (permalink)

S1000 mirror adapters

Hi guys, I guess I am going back to the milling machine! A little catch up in things in the S1000 mirror world. A number of years ago I was selling most of what I made to Sandbar composites and he was reselling them on his website. Then Nigel copied what I was making thinking it would save him some money. I ended up selling all that I had left to Nigel as he had the corner on the market. I didn't design and make these to actually make a profit, just because I didn't like the OEM mirrors on my HP2 and locally in California a few people saw them and next thing I made over 80 sets. A few years ago I had to let my bike go and stopped visiting here and didn't realize that Sandbar was no more. I have had more than a few inquiries to see if they were still available in the last year and it wasn't worth the hassle. Thanks to Madmike they are back on the board.
So the process to make some more will take a little time to get everything setup again and churning out some pieces, then I will send them to anodizing and round up the hardware, make some backing plates etc. So please be a little patient. No money is required from anyone upfront. If you wish to have a complete set including mirrors, I can source the mirrors from the local dealer and send you a complete bolt on set in the event you are not handy. I will post some updates once things are rolling and I can get a time estimate. No one needs to pay until they are completed and ready to ship. Sound fair?
Old 03-01-2018, 01:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129 (permalink)

You are a very gracious Pelican. Terrific news and thank you. I'll watch here for updates and send $ immediately when requested.

2010 HP2 Sport
2010 S1000rr
2007 R1200s
Old 03-01-2018, 03:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #130 (permalink)

Thanks Szazbo! Glad to see some support for the HP2s.

Wallets are standing by...
Old 03-01-2018, 05:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #131 (permalink)

Bump.

Any movement on this?
Old 03-23-2018, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #132 (permalink)

So, tired of looking at my shoulders, I made my own adapters based on what an inmate did on ADV rider.

I still prefer these adapters when they are available, but meanwhile I can ride and see behind me.

Started with a set of Hornig RR mirror extensions

Some SS hardware from Lowes

Some SS washers as a backplate (painted black)

Drilled and taped to have the new screws long enough to hold the rear together

Fit to bike. The front OEM screw is long enough to catch on that threaded piece. The piece did have to be trimmed down a bit.

Complete

Old 03-26-2018, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #133 (permalink)

Garage
Nice Mike;
Does this still give you a break away for the mirrors??
Could you please make your pictures bigger?

Cheers
Old 03-26-2018, 12:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #134 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droptarotter View Post
Nice Mike;
Does this still give you a break away for the mirrors??
Could you please make your pictures bigger?

Cheers
Ill try to make them bigger. Not sure why they loaded so big.

As far a break away, they are OEM mirrors mounted in an (almost) OEM way. I assuming that whatever breakaway features are built into the mirror are still functional.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #135 (permalink)

Garage
I think I get it now........you used unmodified S1000RR mirrors on a homemade perch. Stock RR mirrors do have a breakaway, so nice job, but Szabo's mount will make them look a little more finished. I'm trying to say that in a way that doesn't criticize, but I probably failed at that.

I tried so many different combinations to get mirrors that work;

Bar ends were so far out of the sight line.
Extenders on stock mirrors let me look at my shoulders instead of my elbows.
Then helped Szabo sort out the mounting system by being a test dummy and giving feedback until he sorted the mounts out.

Hopefully he will get new owners mounts soon.

Cheers
Old 03-27-2018, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #136 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droptarotter View Post
I think I get it now........you used unmodified S1000RR mirrors on a homemade perch. Stock RR mirrors do have a breakaway, so nice job, but Szabo's mount will make them look a little more finished. I'm trying to say that in a way that doesn't criticize, but I probably failed at that.

I tried so many different combinations to get mirrors that work;

Bar ends were so far out of the sight line.
Extenders on stock mirrors let me look at my shoulders instead of my elbows.
Then helped Szabo sort out the mounting system by being a test dummy and giving feedback until he sorted the mounts out.

Hopefully he will get new owners mounts soon.

Cheers
Yes, stock RR mirrors but on a modified Hornig mirror extenders for the RR (so not exactly home made as the extenders were purchased and then modified to get the second set of holes in the right place).

Yes, I agree, Szabo's system is much better. However, with the OEM mirrors you may as well just take them off as that is what they are good for. I will still purchase Szabo's if and when they come out. But for now, I'm running with this setup for practicality/safety reasons.

Last edited by Maddmike; 03-28-2018 at 05:16 AM..
Old 03-27-2018, 11:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #137 (permalink)

Alright, it has been a while but I finally mounted my adapters.

How do you get the RR dust boots to sit correctly?
Old 08-30-2018, 12:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #138 (permalink)
sɹǝʇndɯoɔ sǝʇɐɥ

Garage
Please post bigger pics!!!!!!!!!! haha
'07 DRZ-400s
Old 08-30-2018, 01:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #139 (permalink)

Mike, from memory you will need to drill through the rubber gasket to have new holes in the correct place. Once fitted the gasket is not totally flush with the bodywork as the bodywork is slightly curved. So a gap is clearly visible. Can you post a photo and we can say if its as it should be?
It has been commented on before on Pelican and its unfortunate I guess , but it’s splitting hairs really as now you can see behind you!
Did you exercise the ‘break out’ before fitting them? It was recommended on the instructions from Sandbar due to the bodywork of the HP2 being not so strong as the S1000RR.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #140 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: