Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
lxddle

BMW Roundel HP2 Sport Mirrors

The only thing that truly bugs me about the HP2 Sport is the fact that 7/8 of each rear view mirror is filled with my arm. I can lift my elbow and look under the arm with effort but the quick glance to see what is aft is not a possibility unless I am in a turn.

There is a product used to extend the mirrors of some sport bikes but I have been unable to find a version for the HP. See http://tiny.cc/p6k7u for an example. These things are made from a plastic or in some cases metal or nylon.

Has anyone had any experience with them or know of anyone who could produce a few in a small run? Others may be interested. I have paper templates of the base of the mirror stalk.

Here is a shot of #46 with a Garmin 376c and an old RKA tank bag that has plenty of room and works like a charm.

Alex
Yamaha WR250R
Honda CT70
Old 11-10-2008, 08:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Now ride a R1200R

Won't the R1200S mirrors fit?
Old 11-10-2008, 08:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Underwater basketweaver

Send a message via AIM to SergioK Send a message via Yahoo to SergioK
Interest... I think so! Though someone mentioned that perhaps the reason the stalks are so short is that the rather thin CF mounting point may not be able to support the additional torsion/stress caused by longer stalks. Something to consider.

Can you post pics of the mount for the GPS?

Oh, and welcome!
Old 11-10-2008, 09:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Uh....who me?

Some of you guys with the HP2Sports remind me of Ducati sport bike whiners and their mirrors. I've had a 916 and a 996 and they gave you the same wonderful view of your arms, but it was understood when you got them that they were race bikes with lights and mirrors, so you should expect some amount of street inconvenience in order to enjoy the rest of the package. If you want a fast touring bike with great mirrors and lots of luggage, this ain't it. If you can afford the HP2Sport, then you can afford something to tour with too. Please don't mess them up with aftermarket parts that try to make them what they aren't.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
I wanna Live 'til I die!

Send a message via AIM to signit98
+1 with Bob...

...although I ended up with bar-end mirrors on the duc and that worked VERY well!
2005 R1200GS - 2007 Yamaha YZ250F - 2012 Suzuki DR650SE
Old 11-11-2008, 05:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Underwater basketweaver

Bob, you forgot heated grips. Oh, and a centerstand, of course.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I don't remember

welcome and enjoy your new ducati...opps I mean hp2 S,(sorry bob i had to ),
Have a thick skin and enjoy the personalities on this board.
Their is lots of info for you.
sending you a pm
jeff
95 R100RT Classic, a keeper
Old 11-11-2008, 06:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
John, Jacksonville, FL

Hey, what about a Kisan headlight modulator to rankle the unwashed masses. C'mon folks, sure its a race [type] bike but do you really expect we OF's to crank our heads around?

Truth be told, other than perhaps N8, very few of us are worthy of this bike's capabilities, but that didn't stop a ds like me.
'09 HP2 Sport #106
'09 R12RT, Full Remus
'07 GS Adventure (With McCruise, Full Remus)

Last edited by jpalamaro; 11-11-2008 at 08:35 AM..
Old 11-11-2008, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Hey Alex,

Come on over. I have some extra R11S mirror stalks with some sort of oval base like the HP2 mirrors seem to have. Maybe they'll work. Really I just want to see your bike.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Uh....who me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamaro View Post
Truth be told, other than perhaps N8, very few of us are worthy of this bike's capabilities, but that didn't stop a ds like me.
Actually, John, very few of us are worthy of what we have these days. I know I'm not. I just think the HP2Sport is cool enough to be kept in character. It's your money of course, so it's all good.

Last edited by Bob Hancock; 11-11-2008 at 08:55 AM..
Old 11-11-2008, 08:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Underwater basketweaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamaro View Post
Nonsense... I can crack that throttle open with as much talent as N8... in a straight line that is. It's always those turns that are the tricky part.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
lxddle

BMW Roundel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonLargiader View Post
Hey Alex,

Come on over. I have some extra R11S mirror stalks with some sort of oval base like the HP2 mirrors seem to have. Maybe they'll work. Really I just want to see your bike.
Hey Anton,

Thanks for the offer. It'll be great to see what the fit is like. A simple swap of mirrors would be better than the extender. Maybe this weekend...and I'd love for you to see the new scoot. I'll give you a call or drop by.

As to the GPS mount, I'll take some pictures, perhaps this evening. As it happens it was very simple. I'm not a big fan of clamps and had a RAM mount with a ball on the base for the Garmin 376c.

The top triple clamp has a hole already drilled and tapped that I used to attach a RAM ball to. As I recall the hole is on the underside of the top triple clamp on the left (seated on the bike) side. It is not obvious and is a bit out of sight. I stumbled on it when I was trying to figure a way to do a clean installation. No idea what it was intended for.

I have included the best picture I have on the laptop but will try to get a better one. The RAM mount was the RAM-11M available many places or try Cylegadgets.com. I had an appropriately sized bolt in my tool box.

Also included is a picture of the left handle bar that I bent last June when I hit the deer. I shot it (the bar not the deer, which hopefully died a slow death of starvation from a broken jaw) alongside the replacement which just arrived last week...($200). That and the left front turn signal lens were the only damaged parts...other than my fingers. I was damn lucky.

Yamaha WR250R
Honda CT70
Old 11-11-2008, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Underwater basketweaver

Wow, didn't know you had it a deer with the HP2S. Glad you are okay for the most part. Hmm... so it seems that replacement parts are avaialble, after only a 6 month wait. Good thing it is 'winter'.

FYI, I used the same tapped hole for my radar detector's mount.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
lxddle

BMW Roundel

Sergio,

Yeah, I was coming off of the Blue Ridge Parkway one Saturday in June and had begun to head down the mountain on a two lane blacktop road at about 40-45 mph when she burst from cover on the left side of the road...all I saw was hooves and head. I nailed her in the right jaw with the left handlebar having covered the clutch lever with my gloved hand. Scared the #%&@ out of me. The bike took the whole thing in stride, wobbled a bit but I was able to stop it in the road and never went down. I credit the steering dampener to some degree with keeping me from losing it.

I never saw the deer again and after picking up the turn signal lens pieces, headed on down the mountain, stopping at the bottom to check out my hand which had begun to line the inside of my glove with blood. After determining the extent of the damage I headed home, dropped the bike off and drove the pickup to the ER for a clean-up, a few stitches and a splint for my finger.

All in all I was very fortunate. The bike barely had 400 miles on it at the time.

Here's a picture of the left grip after I got home...yep, deer hair!
Yamaha WR250R
Honda CT70
Old 11-11-2008, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

One Angel favor used up............its hard to know how many one actually has left. Glad you held on.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
lxddle

BMW Roundel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Curve View Post
One Angel favor used up............its hard to know how many one actually has left. Glad you held on.
Me too...I've used up a few of those Angle favor things.

GPS Mount Using RAM Ball On Triple Clamp

Here are a couple more pictures of the mount. The GPS is a Garmin 376c.

Yamaha WR250R
Honda CT70
Old 11-11-2008, 04:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
John, Jacksonville, FL

[QUOTE=lxddle;4297328]Me too...I've used up a few of those Angel favor things.

QUOTE]

I have the 478 with GXM30 and that specific mount. Did you hard wire direct to battery or just run off charged battery (in Garmin). I've been thinking of putting a Powerlet outlet somewhere but don't have the heart to drill a hole anywhere in the bike as I have done on my other BMW's e.g. GT, Adv, RT, etc. Don't have the HP2 yet, so will see what other options.

Those that want to take a cheap shot, go ahead, I asked for it!
'09 HP2 Sport #106
'09 R12RT, Full Remus
Old 11-12-2008, 03:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
lxddle

BMW Roundel

[QUOTE=jpalamaro;4298007]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lxddle View Post
Me too...I've used up a few of those Angel favor things.

QUOTE]

I have the 478 with GXM30 and that specific mount. Did you hard wire direct to battery or just run off charged battery (in Garmin). I've been thinking of putting a Powerlet outlet somewhere but don't have the heart to drill a hole anywhere in the bike ......
I did, in fact, have the dealer install a block (Powerlet?) to which the GPS is wired. It seemed to make sense to isolate things and with the hard wire setup it is nice not to have to worry about battery charge when I am out and about. I transfer the 376c back and forth between the GT (also hard wired) and the HP and use the battery when it's on the KTM EXC.

I know how you feel about "scarring" the new bike. I have a frame mounted helmet lock on the work bench in the garage and am just screwing up enough courage to bolt the thing to the frame knowing it will damage the paint. I guess I could wrap a piece of protective tape or fairing protector around the frame.
Yamaha WR250R
Honda CT70
Old 11-12-2008, 07:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
John, Jacksonville, FL

I'm so damn anal about bikes I sometimes think I should just buy OLD bikes. I did that with an 1150 Adventure and spent a bunch of time and money restoring it to as-new status. Talk about idiocy.

I be careful with the 376 (I still have 376, 378, 478, and a 640 on order when it comes out...I know, I'm nuts), but leaving the 376 under power WITH UNIT OFF and even with the GXM30 shut off the unit sucks some serious amerage; I haven't put the ammeter on the circuit to check the parasitic draw but twice I came out to a dead battery in the morning (dead enough that Uncle Canbus wouldn't allow starting)

When I find out where the battery is (that is, when I get the damn HP2S) I will likely install a Powerlet outlet as I've done on all other bikes.
'09 HP2 Sport #106
'09 R12RT, Full Remus
Old 11-12-2008, 07:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Underwater basketweaver

If you are afraid of scarring the bike, don't ride on roads with other vehicles...behind them obviously.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: