Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Whats the thinking on the "No Mar" Tire Changer? Just got one.

Hello brothers. Would some of you who have used the No Mar tire changer, or at least know someone who has one, please offer some advice you have learned concerning it in relation to BMW wheels. I just got one because the HP2 wheels simply cost too much to scratch and gouge up........and besides, I am getting so that it is very hard for me to keep changing my own. They (at No Mar) were a real pleasure to deal with, BTW. Thoughts and insights as to changing tires on recent BMW wheels please. The new BMW motorcycle shop in St. Louis just got one for their needs........so something must be right. TIA.

Last edited by Dr. Curve; 01-13-2009 at 07:52 PM..
Old 01-13-2009, 07:49 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
I wanna Live 'til I die!

Send a message via AIM to signit98
...the tire changer is 1st rate, Jim... you'll be very happy with it.

You will just have to get a wheel adapter for balancing the rear wheel... I have not found one that fits from any manufacturer so I had one made by a friend... works like a charm... front wheel is no problem!

Get rim protectors either way, though... my 2 cents
2001 HD Sportster 1200S - 2005 R1200GS - 2006 Suzuki DR-Z400S
Old 01-13-2009, 08:51 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I'm planning on getting the conversion kit for my Coats 220.. it's a much better clamping design IMO
Old 01-13-2009, 09:41 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Mine (the std model) has worked well, it just takes using it a couple time to get used to it. Use lots of lube. My No Mar balancer came with all the adapters need to balance any wheels front or rear that I have done (BMW & HD to date) including a rear 2005 R1100S BCR wide wheel. This was a package deal that came with pretty much everything you need to de-mount, mount, and balance wheels.

I would recommend the other wheel clamps for changing /2 and f650 tires. They are not included with the package deal and are sold separate. I think the tire spoons would be of help also. Make sure to watch all the video's whether you think its important or not.

I should have looked at the video for changing F650 wheels before I did my /2 wheels and tires. Who would have figured? Live and learn!

Biz
Old 01-13-2009, 10:33 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
cbray

make some shims!
they come in handy
Old 01-13-2009, 11:16 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I'd recommend the obvious and practice a bunch of times with a spare rim and tire before tackling the HP2's. It's never gone as smoothly for me as in the video where they mount some 300 rear monster in under a minute. Also, as one one expect, some tires are considerably easier than others. It can be a pretty good workout. Once you practice enough you'll learn what tricks work for you and what combination of shims and clamps and spoons work best with what. Oh, and yes; Lube!
Enjoy.

Last edited by tadIV; 01-14-2009 at 09:10 AM..
Old 01-14-2009, 09:06 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Desperate Outlaw

The only semi-issue I've had with mine is the tendency of the rim to sometimes want to spin in the chocks when really torquing during mounting/demounting. Yes, plenty of lube in the right places is important, but don't let lube get on the chocks where they contact the lip of the rim or this tendency to spin will be more of an issue. I can deal with it myself, but if possible it's nice to have a buddy around to help.

Take your time the first change and things will go faster as you get more reps in.

'99 R1100S - Black & Silver
'07 K1200R Sport - Silver & Black
Old 01-14-2009, 10:20 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Curve View Post
Hello brothers. Would some of you who have used the No Mar tire changer, or at least know someone who has one, please offer some advice you have learned concerning it in relation to BMW wheels. I just got one because the HP2 wheels simply cost too much to scratch and gouge up........and besides, I am getting so that it is very hard for me to keep changing my own. They (at No Mar) were a real pleasure to deal with, BTW. Thoughts and insights as to changing tires on recent BMW wheels please. The new BMW motorcycle shop in St. Louis just got one for their needs........so something must be right. TIA.
Jim, you posted this while I was in Florida Keys. I've had My NoMar for a while now. I really like it. After you watch the DVD that comes with it, the learning curve (no pun intended) takes a sharp rise up. I've even used it to change car tires. I want to get the trailer hitch adapter so that I can take it to rallies. We could have used one at the US Desmo Rally two years ago.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:47 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I am very happy with my No-mar. As others have said, proper lubricant application is a must. I use the paste lube from no-mar when mounting. Any old tire lube from the auto parts store is fine for dismounting. I use hte Marc Parnes balancer for both my R and K bikes.
99 R1100S
92 K75S
Old 02-06-2009, 08:06 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Jim -

I just changed out the front and rear of my HP2 Sport with the No Mar. No problems. In fact the relief valley is deep enough in the rim that it takes very little effort.

I'm with signit - haven't found a balancer adapter for rear yet but mine had no weights on it from the factory so I just let it go. My front wasn't balanced from the factory either but I did balance it.

I agree with the comments on the lube. Use plenty from the relief valley upward but keep it away from the holding chocks or the wheel will spin around on you.
Old 02-08-2009, 04:01 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I am installing the No-Mar tomorrow so that some tire changes can be made. I appreciate very much that you brothers have taken the time to encourage me on this. I have never changed a tire on a machine and this reassurance is helpful. Any tips will be put to good use and anything I find that makes it easier and safer on the rims and one's self I will report back. They sent me a balancer with the BMW wheel adapters. Photos in time. I just do not want to scar the HP2 wheels. TIA
Old 02-08-2009, 04:14 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
I am installing the No-Mar tomorrow so that some tire changes can be made. I appreciate very much that you brothers have taken the time to encourage me on this. I have never changed a tire on a machine and this reassurance is helpful. Any tips will be put to good use and anything I find that makes it easier and safer on the rims and one's self I will report back. They sent me a balancer with the BMW wheel adapters. Photos in time. I just do not want to scar the HP2 wheels. TIA
Not to worry Doc even if you scar the Rim, you will be trading it in this fall for the
All new BMW S1000RR
1150 cylinders 12:1 pistons/ race cams, Lennies induct, Laser Boxercup II Exhaust, Ohlins shocks, Dymag Carbon Fiber Five Spoke wheels, Crossover tube removed, heads ported and polished Bigger valves installed intake and exhaust! SJ power filter, motoyoyo clamps , HID
Old 02-08-2009, 04:40 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedRider View Post
Jim -

I just changed out the front and rear of my HP2 Sport with the No Mar. No problems. In fact the relief valley is deep enough in the rim that it takes very little effort.

I'm with signit - haven't found a balancer adapter for rear yet but mine had no weights on it from the factory so I just let it go. My front wasn't balanced from the factory either but I did balance it.

I agree with the comments on the lube. Use plenty from the relief valley upward but keep it away from the holding chocks or the wheel will spin around on you.
NoMar makes a balancing rod adapter that fits the large center hole on the rear wheel. I'll take a pic and post it.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:21 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Here is the adapter NoMar makes. It fits the HP2S rear wheel nice.

Last edited by Guest24; 02-08-2009 at 05:53 PM..
Old 02-08-2009, 05:46 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Hey Bubba

nice set-up what does it run ?
1150 cylinders 12:1 pistons/ race cams, Lennies induct, Laser Boxercup II Exhaust, Ohlins shocks, Dymag Carbon Fiber Five Spoke wheels, Crossover tube removed, heads ported and polished Bigger valves installed intake and exhaust! SJ power filter, motoyoyo clamps , HID
Old 02-08-2009, 06:06 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

One comment on installing. The No-mar needs to be anchored securely or you can't get enough leverage on tough tires. I installed threaded anchors in my garage floor. This lets me bolt the changer down when in use, but it can be removed to free up space in the off season. The usual lead anchors and lag bolts are not made for repeated install and removal.

Quote:
I am installing the No-Mar tomorrow.........
99 R1100S
92 K75S
Old 02-09-2009, 08:52 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

I have only the No-Mar bar, lube, "the thing" - the yellow reubber coated tool act as a third hand, some of the black clamps, and have changed my front and rear tires on my R1100S with no problem, just on the large rubberized carpet on the garage floor! Lots of lube, and a wooden handle down the center hole of the rim to leverage against and its been flawless. Looking to get the whole stand next, which will make things even easier.
Oh yeah, I also have some rim guards (the plastic sheaths the snap over the rim edge) for when first using the No-Mar iron and prying on the rim to lift the tire).
2005, 1988, 1969 Corvette Coupes
1992 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4
Old 04-17-2009, 08:19 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ-RIDER View Post
Hey Bubba

nice set-up what does it run ?
Somewhere 900.00 USD.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:35 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: