Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to e9d1n4
rough idle - service in Westchester, NY?

This is something of a combined posting. The main issue is a rough idle and some possible backfiring - the second is that I can't seem to find a good local place for service.

As in several of the other threads I have seen here, I have a 2004 R11S that is suffering from a rough idle. The idle gets rough (and even pre-ignites, stuttering and sometimes stalling) only once the engine has warmed up. There is also a noticeable loss in high-throttle response. I'm not sure if this suggests a lean mix, but I am really concerned about damaging a piston or worse.

The bike has nearly 16k miles, has a K&N air filter (which I understand can make the mix a little lean) and has Denso Iridium secondary plugs. Initially, I had Denso Iridium primarily plugs as well but these were swapped out for stock ones last summer at Cliffs BMW in CT -- was told that the K&N filter plus the Denso plugs was the bike run too hot and the computer was dialing things back. The bike ran smooth for a while, but this spring the stuttering is back. In particular, I think I'm hearing backfiring from the cylinder on the left at low RPM. Right now I have a fuel injector cleaner in the tank but the problem doesn't appear to be clearing.

I don't know what to do to restore the performance and again I am concerned that the engine will eventually sustain damage if the issue is not resolved. I am looking for ways to resolve this.

Alternatively, I would love to hear the name of a good shop servicing BMW in Westchester County. I have not wanted to go to Paulding recently (quality concerns), Manhattan is booked through April 27th, and Cliffs is booked into May. Does anyone have other shop recommendations in or near Westchester, NY?

-Dwayne

Old 04-13-2009, 05:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Sounds like a coil to me.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
lean , stuttering , westchester