Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

R1100S...or R1150RS

Several years ago I had a K75s, which I sold to get a R1100rt. The R1100rt has been a nice bike but I miss the sporty look/feel of the S models, thus I have recently sold it.

Now I'm looking for a R1100S or maybe R1150RS as a replacement. As R1150RS are few and far between, can anyone that has ridden both compare the two for me...as far as riding position, comfort and general opinion of the two. I use my bike as a daily commuter but also do take annual multi-day trips (500+mile days with tent/sleepbag/etc).

I do like the R1100S, and know it has a nice balance between touring and sport riding that I like but do not want to overlook the RS. I know the RS has a larger tank, trunk option and more upright riding position/comfort (?). Just wished the RS had a better styling/look of the original R100RS models.

Thanks,

Old 04-30-2009, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Can't speak to the R1150RS but I did buy a "94 R1100RS and kept it for 13 years. I had both the RS and a BCR for two years before trading the RS for a R1200RT. During the few years of overlap, the RS saw little use. I seldom tour, and found the S more suitable for day rides, often in the 300 to 500 mile range. The RS was out of the garage only when riding with the wife. Not to knock the RS, but it's definitely weighted toward the touring side of sport/touring, while the S favors the sport side. The S has better brakes, more ground clearance, more power, and I prefer the riding position. With a taller screen and bags, the RS is a fine tourer and no slouch in the twisties. I had zero issues with the infamous surging problems. Lots of people on this board have toured extensively on the S with bags, etc. but if that is how you plan to use it, look for a good RS, IMO. Might be hard to find a clean and low milage example. Good luck. Let us know how it plays out.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to turnerm Send a message via Yahoo to turnerm
Ive had both the R1100S and the R1150RS.
They were 2 of my favorite bikes.\
Both are good for touring and both handle very well.
You can sport ride with both but the R1100S has limitations for touring.

R1100S has the following limitations for touring:
-small fuel tank
-no internal storage
-side cases available but mounting hardware not well integrated, looks odd
-some people dont like the comfort of a stock R11S, but I didnt mind
-little protection from the elements
-Low alternator output and small battery

R1150RS limitations for sport riding:
-handles well, but not as tight as the R11S
-handle bars are isolated so not a solid feel of the front end
-slightly less power

All in all, these 2 bikes have similar components. The transmissions, clutches, suspensions are similar, but one is more sport focused and the other more all-around.
The R1150RS has decent space under the seat for storage. The R1150RS has more protection with a bigger fairing and adjustable windshield.
I loved them both but the R1150RS is a better all around bike. If you will spend your time doing sport rides, the R11S is more fun, plus it is a great track bike.
The R11S brakes are very good. But the servo brakes of the R1150RS are very impressive, but maybe less feel to them.
One thing to note is that many servo brake systems fail on the R1150RS.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies so far. One of the reasons I'm leaning towards the S is that I'm 49 now and in good physical condition so still can ride the S models. In 5-10 years I might not be able to...so it would be nice to have a S once in my lifetime!

The RS does have some conviences....seat/tail storage area, adjustable windshield and a tail rack. Since I came from an RT it would be a logical next step to take. The RS would allow me to personalize it...ie added Remus exhaust, aftermarket seat (a Corbin Gunfighter looks nice on a RS), etc. Can you put a shorter para lever arm on to improve handling?

For the R1100S I know that upgrading the seat, lowering foot pegs, handlebar adjustments and larger windshield can go a long way to improve long distance comfort but until you actually try it, a person doesn't know if it is enough improvement to make it comfortable for them.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to turnerm Send a message via Yahoo to turnerm
Sounds like you want to turn the R1150RS into the R1100S and vice versa.

I left them stock and they were each great in their own way for their intended purpose.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Location: Seabeck, Washington, 20 miles west of Seattle as the seagulls fly!
""Thanks for the replies so far. One of the reasons I'm leaning towards the S is that I'm 49 now and in good physical condition so still can ride the S models. In 5-10 years I might not be able to...so it would be nice to have a S once in my lifetime!""

Sheesh! Should I be worried? I'm 61 and think the 11S is the perfect bike. Perhaps I don't know what I'm thinkin'! LOL

I've ridden a friends RS, and even with his bar-backs I don't think his bike is one bit more comfy than my S. Sure the RS has more fairing protection, but overall have to agree with Turnerm's comments...good summary.

So, go out and buy the bike you really want (the S obviously), then post a picture...

Cheers! BJ
Old 05-01-2009, 09:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

......went for the R1100S

Wanted to update my original post and let everyone know I went with the R1100S. Found this 2004 R1100S in the Titan Grey/ Mandarin yellow with ABS, heated grips and as a bonus the bike came with a new Laser Boxercup II system that was not installed. It has been a joy to ride and listen to, although db killers are going to be installed. ....and the stock seat will have to go!

Old 07-01-2009, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Dang! Nice get! I love the sound of the Lazers.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daynkc View Post
Wanted to update my original post and let everyone know I went with the R1100S. Found this 2004 R1100S in the Titan Grey/ Mandarin yellow with ABS, heated grips and as a bonus the bike came with a new Laser Boxercup II system that was not installed. It has been a joy to ride and listen to, although db killers are going to be installed. ....and the stock seat will have to go!
I really like the checker scheme. Was this a special edition for 2004 or was a decal kit that the owner put on?
Old 12-31-2010, 05:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Location: Seabeck, Washington, 20 miles west of Seattle as the seagulls fly!
daynkc, Congratulations! We have a winnnnner! That one is the same as mine, but I do have the bags...and a RM seat and a few other minor things...I'd like to add that exhaust system, but at my age I don't need to go faster. LOL

Yellowjacket, FYI, that's a factory paint job option on the '04's

Cheers and Happy New Years to all!

BJ
Old 12-31-2010, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Since this post resurfaced, I'll add to it.

The RS also has a higher 6th gear which, again, makes it a better touring machine.

I now have an S and an RS and would like to sell the RS as I just don't have time to ride it. I've owned it for two years now and have put under 2000 miles on it. It has all the touring bags/ top box etc, under 14k total miles, if anyone is interested.

Happy New Year to all.

Richard
Old 01-01-2011, 03:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Nice choice, 2nd best color scheme.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Uh....who me?

Love that Boxer Cup Prep color. Word of advice on the seat....I've had two of these bikes and both times needed to ride it to break the seat in....then never had a problem. So unless you just want to spend the money, take that pad off and ride it a lot....it'll get better.
fwiw.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I sometimes wonder if we break-in the seat or is it visa-versa. I guess it really doesn't matter as long as it gets more comfortable.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to wiggledbits
Good choice. Very nice! Oops I didn't see he posted the pics back in July! Nice bike anyway.
I put 6k miles on my OEM seat and neither one of us felt comfortable after 200 miles or so. I found a like new Sargents and although a little wide at a stop so far much better. Now I just have to hookup the heating element.

Last edited by wiggledbits; 01-01-2011 at 07:09 AM..
Old 01-01-2011, 07:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Nice looking S bike. I have a '02 R1150RT and '04 R1100S. Enjoyed the RT so much, sold a Suzuki Bandit for the S.
Not sure how many miles is touring as everyone has own definition. Never have taken the S bike on a trip, but will ride 200-300 miles at a time on it with no physical problems. I am 58 and will have to admit, it took me 3-4 rides to get used to it as it clearly not the RT but not bad for a sport bike.
Storage is an issue as you can't even put your sunglasses underneath the seat. A tank bag cures all of you storage problems if you are just doing day rides or possibly an over the night ride.
S bikes are great style points.
Enjoy.
Nathan Margolis
Houston, Texas

Old 01-02-2011, 06:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
r1100s , r1150rs