Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Private Citizen

Sierra Vista to Tooele UT, SBK09

I was fortunate enough to take a week off from life and ride up to Tooele UT to watch the world superbike races, meet some other board members, and have a lot of fun not going to work or doing stuff around the house, here is my story.

Wednesday morning I am all packed. The little Hattech luggage rack on my R1200s did the job again, here you can see it overloaded and ready to go. I brought too much stuff as usual.

Normally to get from my house to the good roads takes a couple of hours. I go up to Tucson, then north on AZ-77 to Globe where the fun starts. Unfortunately I had to deal with some road closures and construction. AZ-77 from North of Tucson was closed so I had to take a boring road AZ-79 up to US 60 east of Phoenix, then east to globe. To my surprise there was lots of highway construction between Phoenix and Globe, so the ~30 miles of twisty road turned into at least an hour behind a dump truck.

Globe north to Flagstaff should have been smooth sailing, however very cold rain, and a wrong turn add time and some of I-17 to the trip. It is a shame because Lake Mary road from Clints Well to Flagstaff is a beautiful ride, but I turned at the wrong place and went west on AZ-260 instead. This is a very nice road, but it goes west instead of north.

This is a bridge near the dam that contains Roosevelt Lake north of Globe.

You can see the sky is about to dump on me. For some unknown reason when I stopped to take this, I did not put on my rain gear, not sure why.

So about 9 hours into the trip I am 6 hours away from home in Flagstaff, cold, wet, and hungry. I consider going home and trying again tomorrow but figure that would not make sense, so I press on. I ride north out of Flagstaff on US-89 the drop in elevation and desert heat dry me out and warm me up. I arrive at the camp site just after dark, a camper stops me and starts talking about the bike. Turns out he is a motorcycle mechanic from Tucson who used to work for BMW and is on his way to the races, during conversation we found out we know some of the same people. He had a 690 Super Enduro in a van with motard wheels/tires, he was going to ride the remaining distance to the race. We make a beer run, BS for a few hours. I am always surprised how many nice motorcycle folks I meet on a trip.

The next morning I awake and see the place I am staying is freaking beautiful. These pics don’t do it justice. If you are looking for a place to camp in northern AZ, Marble Canyon near Vermilion Cliffs Monument is very nice.

Note to thin-skins and panty-bunchers - please note smiley."

Last edited by AZ-Twin; 06-02-2009 at 03:16 PM..
Old 06-02-2009, 03:11 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
No try, do or not do

Garage
more to come?
Old 06-02-2009, 04:18 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Next door

Gorgeous. If you get the itch to tool around next door in New Mexico, give a holler. There's some sweet routes out of southern AZ into the northern mountains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Twin View Post
I was fortunate enough to take a week off from life and ride up to Tooele UT to watch the world superbike races, meet some other board members, and have a lot of fun not going to work or doing stuff around the house, here is my story.

Wednesday morning I am all packed. The little Hattech luggage rack on my R1200s did the job again, here you can see it overloaded and ready to go. I brought too much stuff as usual.

Normally to get from my house to the good roads takes a couple of hours. I go up to Tucson, then north on AZ-77 to Globe where the fun starts. Unfortunately I had to deal with some road closures and construction. AZ-77 from North of Tucson was closed so I had to take a boring road AZ-79 up to US 60 east of Phoenix, then east to globe. To my surprise there was lots of highway construction between Phoenix and Globe, so the ~30 miles of twisty road turned into at least an hour behind a dump truck.

Globe north to Flagstaff should have been smooth sailing, however very cold rain, and a wrong turn add time and some of I-17 to the trip. It is a shame because Lake Mary road from Clints Well to Flagstaff is a beautiful ride, but I turned at the wrong place and went west on AZ-260 instead. This is a very nice road, but it goes west instead of north.

This is a bridge near the dam that contains Roosevelt Lake north of Globe.

You can see the sky is about to dump on me. For some unknown reason when I stopped to take this, I did not put on my rain gear, not sure why.

So about 9 hours into the trip I am 6 hours away from home in Flagstaff, cold, wet, and hungry. I consider going home and trying again tomorrow but figure that would not make sense, so I press on. I ride north out of Flagstaff on US-89 the drop in elevation and desert heat dry me out and warm me up. I arrive at the camp site just after dark, a camper stops me and starts talking about the bike. Turns out he is a motorcycle mechanic from Tucson who used to work for BMW and is on his way to the races, during conversation we found out we know some of the same people. He had a 690 Super Enduro in a van with motard wheels/tires, he was going to ride the remaining distance to the race. We make a beer run, BS for a few hours. I am always surprised how many nice motorcycle folks I meet on a trip.

The next morning I awake and see the place I am staying is freaking beautiful. These pics donít do it justice. If you are looking for a place to camp in northern AZ, Marble Canyon near Vermilion Cliffs Monument is very nice.

86 325e
87 325 coupe
Old 06-02-2009, 05:01 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Private Citizen

Continued:

I pack up the bike and head northwest on 89A. It was a nice day except for about 10 minutes of rain between Glendale and Hatch. The road was so nice I did not stop to take many pictures. I only saw two cop cars parked along the road and they had mannequins behind the wheel.

I did see this courthouse that appears to be available for rent in Junction UT. More info here if you are interested.

http://www.courthousevacations.com/

So on up towards Salt Lake the scenery continuous to change, and in the town of Mona I have to stop and try to get a nice shot of this mountain.

If you like the view, then this house is for you.

How would you like to see that from the back porch with the morning coffee every day. Seriously this was a beautiful place.

On up to Tooele It is straight and flat. I arrive at the camping area and the first thing to catch my eye is a pair of motorcycles I donít see very often. An old Norton, and a Vincent. Two retired guys rode these two bike from the Vancouver Canada to the rally. The Vincent had a rear tire failure and he almost went down, that would have been a bad day. I guess Guy (the owner of the Vincent) could have dealt with it though, he has three more if I understood correctly while we were sitting around drinking.

They were real nice guys, and the only ones in the camp that liked to sit up late and drink beer as I do, so most nights we were discussing issues and solving the worldís problems. Plus Utah has that 3.2 beer so one can drink more, and you are not dehydrated in the morning, the perfect desert beer.

Last edited by AZ-Twin; 06-02-2009 at 08:05 PM..
Old 06-02-2009, 05:26 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Talk Less, Say More

Location: Moab Utah. Home of wierd red & orange radioactive stuff...
Garage
Wow, I didn't realize you were down past Benson. I used to travel there on occassion for another job in my past...

I have always been cold when passing through Flagstaff.

Did you spot Butch Cassidy's Childhood Home as you passed through Circleville? It's easy to miss.

I ended up in Salt Lake City Sunday for unpleasant business...
Old 06-02-2009, 06:04 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I should have called in sick and gone with ya.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:08 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Talk Less, Say More

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfighter View Post
I should have called in sick and gone with ya.
Life is made up of couda's and shoulda's, with an occassional blast of fun in between.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:14 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Private Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckcarr View Post
Wow, I didn't realize you were down past Benson. I used to travel there on occassion for another job in my past...

I have always been cold when passing through Flagstaff.

Did you spot Butch Cassidy's Childhood Home as you passed through Circleville? It's easy to miss.

I ended up in Salt Lake City Sunday for unpleasant business...
Yep, I am way down here by the Mexican border. I missed his place, I will look for it next year. Sorry you had an unpleasant trip to Salt Lake.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:17 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Ghost Spoiler

Garage
Good Stuff ROb!
Old 06-02-2009, 07:02 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Private Citizen

Thursday night I also met 2001Bee, he is a real nice guy and we had dinner on Saturday night. He rides a very nice Triumph also, I regret not getting a pic of him and his bike.

Friday I headed for the track to see what was going on. In the Paddock area I found Kent Cook and Dean at the San Jose BMW area. Kent introduced me to the rest of the group including Brian, then we went over to the BMW area to check out the new S1KRR. Here is a shot of Kent on the bike.

And some cutaway shots of the engine.

Here is a link to a high resolution pic if you want to check it out.

http://www.swartzwelder.net/ppb/SBK09/eng_big.JPG

Thanks Kent for introducing me to the crew, it was a great time!

A bit later in the BMW tent Nate was talking to people about the new S1KRR. I chatted with him for a few minutes, another nice guy.

Back over to the Ducati tent this chick was drawing a crowd.

The nice thing about the Ducati tent (besides her) is that if you show proof of Ducati ownership, you get free stuff, like food, bottled water, coffee. So I was in. Here is Breakfast.

I did not get a pic of free lunch, but it was good.

So Friday, Saturday, and Sunday at the track were a blast. I took a bunch of pics of bikes going around the track, but none that really measure up as I was too far away. I did get this shot of Mr. Spies going down the pit lane.

And this lil Honda in the Paddock area, I had one of these when i was a kid.

I was walking around over by the Aprilla tent, and I see this guy with what I thought was a weapon of some sort, perhaps an EMP generator.

Just as I was about to alert the authorities I was told this is some fancy camera that is better than HD. He was going to film the unveiling of the new Aprilia. This one I believe.

After the final Race I was leaving the track and I met two last Pelicans in the parking lot. Bob from Tucson, and John Palamaro. I had packed up camp between the two races and parked by a Red R1100S that turned out to be John’s.

We just had time for a quick hand shake and hello/good bye in the parking lot and I had to head home.

Last edited by AZ-Twin; 06-02-2009 at 08:32 PM..
Old 06-02-2009, 07:14 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Private Citizen

The ride home is always the worst for me. I think I will stop and enjoy the trip, and the ride home is as much a part as the ride there, and the time spent at the event, but bottom line is I am always anxious to get back to my family.

Leaving Tooele around 4:00 PM after the second race means it is prime time for rain, and I get rained on a bit but no big deal. Oh, I still donít have my rain gear on.

I plan to look for new roads to take home but honestly there are not that many ways to get from Salt Lake to southern AZ. I decide that in Sigurd UT I will change course and head for Capitol Reef National Park on UT-24. I can camp, and mix up the route on the way home the following day, maybe even catch 191 home. I do just that but it is getting later, and colder, and the rain is starting to get real cold. I notice the mountains I am heading for have snow on them in places and I begin to question my judgment. A couple more miles and I pass through another level of elevation change and it is just plain cold, and I decide I donít feel like pitching a tent in the cold rain, so I bail and go back. This is a road for another day and at this time I no longer feel like camping. I get back to I-70 and go west to I-15. I go south in more rain until I reach Cedar City where I get a room with a hot shower and a soft bed.

I had not had the camera out of the tank bag since I left the track, so here is a pic of an SR-500 with system cases.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:36 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Private Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkramer View Post
Gorgeous. If you get the itch to tool around next door in New Mexico, give a holler. There's some sweet routes out of southern AZ into the northern mountains.
Sounds good. Where is Kramer, NM, I Googled it but results were inconclusive.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:44 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to AZ-J
Wonderful Report Rob! Nice trip.
My bike here:
tiny.cc/MyBike
Old 06-02-2009, 11:43 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Ghost Spoiler

Garage
Yep, great report and pics Rob!

hummener hummener (no razz)

I see passenger footpegs but if that little thing on the back of the seat is for the passengers arse I'll be a monkeys uncle! You'd have to get it surgically removed after the shortest of jaunts...Wikkid looking thing though

I too like the pic of Spies - nice one!
Old 06-03-2009, 02:43 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rob, I sure hope you had a good air matress or a lot of Black Jack because that campsite looks REALLY Spartan. We'll start having to call you Rocky.

Old 06-03-2009, 04:29 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nail24 View Post
Rob, I sure hope you had a good air matress or a lot of Black Jack because that campsite looks REALLY Spartan.

That is a forest in AZ.
* '83 GPZ 550-gone to a newbie
* '75 CB400F-retired to AZ.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:30 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Man, if this were two-three weeks later, I could have made it. I spend some time in Tooele when my dad had Army summer camp there. Gorgeous country up there.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:33 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Meeting Rob was a real treat, what a super nice guy.
www.motorcyclistcafe.com
www.sjbmwracing.com
Old 06-03-2009, 01:29 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Private Citizen

Bubba, I had about 3 or 4 Newcastle Brown Ale's, and slept like a baby on the cheapest imitation thermorest sportsman's warehouse sells. I did kick some of the big rocks out of the way before I pitched the tent though.

Dean, thanks for the kind words. It was a pleasure meeting you also and I look forward to making it up north for lunch some time.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:27 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Talk Less, Say More

Garage
Looks pretty comfy to me. For Utah or Arizona.

If there's no gnats, mosquitos, black widows, tarantulas or rattlesnakes to surprise you... it may as well be a Serta!
Old 06-03-2009, 04:58 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: