Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Brake Lines

It all started with some air in my rear brake, bleed it then i saw the small leak i had in my rear line

No big deal, found a HEL line for the rear, it is shipped it will be with me in 3 days.

I was talking to a friend that suggested to do the front too since the back is gone the front will follow soon.

not to sure on his theory but hey why not , since I change one i will change the other.

My bike is a 99 with deadweight ABS

I called the place that they shipped my rear line and they prefer to send the old line and they send me new ones... but that it will take time and i just want ride my bike ...(i do have a back-up bike my old 91 VFR but is not the same)

So my questions is.. are the brake lines in front standart ? i saw them on e-bay..the HEL guys knew thei stuff tho...any suggestions ?
should i worry about the front ?
Old 06-03-2009, 04:39 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I bought a set of Spieglers and failed to mention that the handlebars were above the triple tree, so the main line from the master cylinder to the brakes was about 2" short. This is on an 04 BCR without ABS.
Also, some time in the production cycle BMW changed brake fittings and calipers.
So, I spent 2 weeks waiting for a new line.
I would suggest that you send them the old ones to insure correct length and fittings.
I think you'll be better off in the long run. Stainless fronts have a much better feel, no more sponginess, just consistent feel and reaction.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:34 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutruck1 View Post
I bought a set of Spieglers and failed to mention that the handlebars were above the triple tree, so the main line from the master cylinder to the brakes was about 2" short. This is on an 04 BCR without ABS.
Also, some time in the production cycle BMW changed brake fittings and calipers.
So, I spent 2 weeks waiting for a new line.
I would suggest that you send them the old ones to insure correct length and fittings.
I think you'll be better off in the long run. Stainless fronts have a much better feel, no more sponginess, just consistent feel and reaction.
thanks for confirming my initial taught

I will go with HEL since they did my rear one, anyways not a big diff betwen Spieglers and HEL

Frustrating part is not to have the bike for such small details
Old 06-04-2009, 04:29 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Happily Married

replace both - my '99 got its initial leak right at the banjo at the bar last fall. Sprayed my fairing. Fortunately I was at home and quickly soaped the bike down. My right turn pod has spotting but it could have been disastrous if it had happened on a ride. I got Speigler's, I have my bars above the triples and specified that - they came the correct length.
1999 R1100S Mandarin/Black- Íhlins, Motolights, Hyperlites, Spieglers, Corbin, Techlusion, Ztechnik muffs, Lennie's, Hornig plate bracket. Also available: '11 Sprint GT, '10 Thruxton, '09 G650GS, '07 F800S, '06 F650GS, '03 DL1000, '98 DR350SE, '97 RMX250, '82 R100S/RS, '79 TT500, '75 CB400F, '74 TL250, '71 CT90, '69 CB450
Old 06-04-2009, 03:20 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeemer36 View Post
replace both - my '99 got its initial leak right at the banjo at the bar last fall. Sprayed my fairing. Fortunately I was at home and quickly soaped the bike down. My right turn pod has spotting but it could have been disastrous if it had happened on a ride. I got Speigler's, I have my bars above the triples and specified that - they came the correct length.

yeah i got the same setup (bars above triple)

do you remember from where you got the lines (website) ?

TIA
Old 06-04-2009, 05:22 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Man it's flat out here!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeemer36 View Post
I got Speigler's, I have my bars above the triples and specified that - they came the correct length.
Ditto for my '99 - the Spieglers work GREAT!
"all creeds which refuse to see an intelligent purpose behind the unthinking powers of material nature are intrinsically incoherent. In the order of causation they base reason upon unreason. In the order of logic they involve conclusions which discredit their own premises." Sir Arthur Balfour
Old 06-05-2009, 08:34 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: