Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
New & Used

warning light question - brake light failure

The warning light is the bottom right light of the five idiot lights next to the speedo. It comes on by itself when the brake light fails.

I just replaced my brake light with a Kisan flashing brake light and while the Kisan is working OK, the brake failure warning light is on and it didn't clear when I rode it around.

Is there a way to clear the warning or is it supposed to clear automatically when a brake failure is cured?
Old 10-07-2009, 02:46 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I would try putting the regular tail lamp back in to see what happens. If that clears it, you may have to do something special with it. I remember reading on their site before about certain BMW bikes not responding well and needing a particular part #.

Matt
Old 10-07-2009, 05:13 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Geek Emeritus

Doesn't the Kisan have a switch that brings a resistor in the circuit to fool the bulb fail circuit?
Old 10-07-2009, 05:57 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
New & Used

Quote:
Originally Posted by wood-d View Post
Doesn't the Kisan have a switch that brings a resistor in the circuit to fool the bulb fail circuit?
The Kisan I have is the 20W-D, which I picked from their application sheet. It is an integrated bulb (ie, the electronics are built into the base). I shot a note off to them to see if they have any ideas.

Anyone here using that particular model on their 1100s?
Old 10-08-2009, 05:12 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoilsport View Post
The Kisan I have is the 20W-D, which I picked from their application sheet. It is an integrated bulb (ie, the electronics are built into the base). I shot a note off to them to see if they have any ideas.

Anyone here using that particular model on their 1100s?
What year bike do you have? This is interesting - it brings us again to another canbus dilemma. I have clearly established, with the help of others here, that no R1100S has canbus, simply because the canbus system does not use fuses and was not introduced on BMW bikes until 2006 models. Every R1100S to my knowledge has fuses. Yet, when I use Kisan's application chart for my bike (2004 model), it tells me I need the 20W-DZ which states is for canbus. If you put in any year 2001 and lower, it says the correct application is 20W-D.

Glad I'm not the only one that was confused about this whole canbus thing.

Anyway, I would bet a thrifty nickel that the 20W-DZ is really the one that you need, 2002 and up. Kisan's calling it canbus - I'm calling it a simple wiring change that BMW made on those years.

Matt
Old 10-08-2009, 06:04 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
New & Used

OK. I think I got to the bottom of it. I read the application chart wrong. It calls for 20W-DZ for 2002-2007 and 20W-D for earlier versions. I agree that it's not a canbus issue. Instead I think the warning circuit is simply not sensing a load when the bulb flashes and thinks there's a brake light failure. The DZ solves this by using two bulbs, so that there is always a load. I now have a surplus 20w-d.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:34 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Old 10-08-2009, 12:34 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: