Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Cool Useless Bracket ???

Yesterday I changed the registration sticker on my bike. My sticker is in a hard plastic pouch & has been secured to the bolt that runs through the rear pillion footrest on the left handside. There is a bracket on the other side of the frame which has the nuts welded to it that recieve the mounting bolts through the footrest. It's a pretty cheap & nasty looking unit. The end result was that the bracket is broken in a couple of places. I really wanted to ask 2 questions :-
Do I need to keep this bracket. Does it serve any useful purpose like keeping the plastic pouch away from the exhaust ; &
If I do not need it, can I just replace the welded nuts with stainless ones ?
Would also be interested to hear where other riders mount their registration sticker holders.
Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-26-2001, 02:44 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Don, I'm a bit confused about the bracket you speak of. Is it part of the wire guard? The tabs welded to the sub frame have welded nuts for the footrest bracket and the wire guard is on the other side to that bracket. Come to think of it, it's only the rego holder nut that's holding it in place!

Anyway, I have my holder mounted in a similar position using the upper pillion footrest bracket bolt. I replaced the stock bolt with a longer one and added a nyloc nut after slipping the the holder over it. I oriented the holder to sit upwards behind the wire guard that protects stray feet touching the exhaust riser.

Gary.
Old 11-26-2001, 03:09 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Gats,

Yes I was reffering to a wire guard type thingy. There is a welded plate on the underside of the sub frame. The rear pillion bracket sits on the outside with the mounting bolts gowing through the welded plate. On the inside, this guard type thingy has the retaining nuts welded to it & this is what the mounting bolts get secured into. The rego holder has been installed on the mounting bolt between the inside of the sub frame & the welded retaining nut.
Basically I want to do what you allready have done with the longer bolt.
As for the stray feet I better let Marion know to keep her feet where they should be.
Old 11-26-2001, 03:29 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Now I gotcha!
On the righthand side the nuts are welded to the tabs on the sub-frame but welded to the wire guard/bracket on the left (I assumed the same method as the righthand side - should have checked the CD-ROM first! ). The guard is there for protection. Not sure of any ADR that would cover it, nor anyone in a position to do the checking knowing of the guard.

Nyloc the footrest bracket to the subframe, without the guard, using a longer bolt and a second nut for the rego holder.

Gary.
Old 11-26-2001, 03:42 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Old 11-26-2001, 03:42 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: