Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Low fuel indicator not working

I recently started noticing that my low fuel indicator is not coming on. Usually it comes on like clockwork between 125-130 miles but I have gotten up into the 140-145 mile range without it coming on. When I fill up I putting in over 3.7 gallons so would have thought the low fuel indicator should have come on since I'm below the 1 gallon reserve.

I have removed the tupperware and lifted the tank and check the wiring coming from the tank and going into the instrument cluster and don't see any loose connections. I have also checked the fuses and everything else appears to be working on the bike.

The bike is 2004 R1100s and the only work I have done lately is HID install and air filter replacement, although I believe I had the indicator issue before doing these two items.

Anyone else run into this issue and can offer suggestions before I take it into the dealer?

BMW R1100S
Old 06-23-2010, 07:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

It's a pain, but you can remove the instrument cluster and swap some bulbs around to eliminate that from the list.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Dont taunt happy fun ball

Send a message via AIM to AndrewA
I had this same problem, and vaguely remember fixing it by installing a new relay.
I believe that you can swap these relays around to help diagnose.

This might help:
Old 06-23-2010, 08:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Just an update on this in case anyone else runs into this problem.

The bulb was good as it flashes on/off when you first turn on the ignition. I replaced the relay but got no change in symptoms. Talked with local BMW service department and they had to order a low fuel sensor that is located inside the tank. The part had to come from Germany but it did fix the issue. Thanks for the suggestions and local service department for getting the part as quick as they did.

BMW R1100S
Old 07-08-2010, 02:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: