Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Ohlins Setup

i'm going to be getting some ohlins for a test on my bike. would be interested in what settings people are running them at for front and rear. will also be running the gs paralever arm.

brad
Old 02-01-2002, 03:50 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Brad , realise you'll probably go direct , but who would you recommend here in Town to go thru for Ohlin set up . I will admit I am a bit scared to outlay the kinda bucks required and risk not having backup in the event of problems or complications . Also pretty sure I do not have the smarts to install and set up to optimum on my own .

Mick .
Old 02-02-2002, 08:45 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Mick,

I think you underestimate yourself. Heck, worst case, just pick about 3 operating points for each adjustment (say 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4) and try each combo and see what works for you. I'll assume you can set sag directly for your weight and won't count that adjustment at rear or front. That leaves 3 positions each for 2 rear and one front dampoing adjustment. That's a total of 27 combinations. At a fairly thorough 30 minute test of each, you could still do it on a long day (you're not far off from peak hours of daylight down there right now are you?)

One of those points would get you VERY close to wear you want to be. Just fiddle until you like it. You may be slower, but I'm SURE you can do it.

later
roger

OnRoad OffRoad Cycles, Austin, TX: BMW, Ital, Suspension, Electrics
Dealer for K-Tech, JRI, GP Suspension, Penske, Íhlins, RaceTech, Elka, Wilbers, IKON & Works
www.ororcycle.com

CMRA EXPERT #841
Various Formula 5, 6 & 7 championships 2006-2012

A3, Navigator,
Old 02-03-2002, 09:08 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Hi again,

Brad, no setup info for the front, that will have to come from others.

On the rear, I use a 13N/mm spring (one level softer than stock, to match my 155lb self -- though one more winter of lots of wrenching and no running might make me need the stock 14N/mm spring again

Sag I set at 30% for extension and 70% for compression) That's basically 3 full turns in from where the spring starts to compress on the hyraulic preload {which is about 4-1/4 turns total from knob fully out} )

I can't recall where my rear damping is numerically, but it's basically close to stock/recommended, but about 4 clicks less compression damping - about what you'd expect for a light guy with a light spring, who prefers his damping biased towards the rebound side)

hth
later
roger

OnRoad OffRoad Cycles, Austin, TX: BMW, Ital, Suspension, Electrics
Dealer for K-Tech, JRI, GP Suspension, Penske, Íhlins, RaceTech, Elka, Wilbers, IKON & Works
www.ororcycle.com

CMRA EXPERT #841
Various Formula 5, 6 & 7 championships 2006-2012

A3, Navigator,
Old 02-03-2002, 09:18 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

steve cramer are the importers, but don't retail. we have sold quite a few for the s and gs as well. support from steve cramer is very good.
Old 02-04-2002, 01:52 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to fredman
Brad, just for interest, what are the Ohlins costing each here in Aus? I was up at Motohansa, and saw the White Power shocks on the wall- I want some. They're $1500 each,but also look the business.I'm about to put my order in. Mail me direct please.
Old 02-04-2002, 02:01 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!
Old 02-04-2002, 02:01 AM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: