Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Vanderlinde Repacking

Greetings,
I've frequented this site on & off for several years & have enjoyed the technical discussions & banter very much. I currently have a 2001 R1100S & a 1980 Moto Guzzi LeMans. The R11S has been very reliable but has not been ridden much over that last few years. It has only 31,000 km (19,000 mi) on it to date.

A Vanderlinde system & chip was installed in about 2005. I didn't really notice an increase in power but loved the deep tone. The sound has gradually become louder & more mechanical. After trying to remove one of the end caps for repacking I contacted Etienne van der Linde at Vanderlinde Systems. He has stated that the mufflers are glass packed (without baffles) but are welded & cannot be opened for repacking.

I don't want to re-install the original pipes. Has anyone experimented or found a way to repack Vanderlinde mufflers for the R1100S?

Thanks in advance,
Charles
Old 09-16-2011, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

This a system work restoring, any advice would be appreciated.

Charles
Old 09-17-2011, 01:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Initials & assault rifle

Garage
If the mufflers are welded into single units, the only alternative is to cut them open, re-pack and re-weld.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I can't see another way either. The only visible welds are on the inlet end of each muffler. The end caps have rivets but they appear to only hold the outer canister in place. The outside cap on the exit end must be welded on the inside. I've removed the rivets on one cap but it won't budge. I'll hold off on cutting until I but a good welder for a car restoration project. I wonder if TIG is mandatory for welding stainless.

Thanks for the feedback, Charles
Old 09-18-2011, 04:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
unsafe at any speed

You can mig weld stainless with regular mild steel wire. However your weld will not be rust proof.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

After a quick search it looks like MIG can produce decent SS welds using the right wire & gas. I'm considering the following Eastwood unit. It uses 240V & comes with continuously variable voltage & a gun for aluminim. My main concern is parts after a few years.

175 Amp Mig Welder w/spool gun
Old 09-18-2011, 05:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

As repacking seems to be a major undertaking, I think I would try to fit some inserts like Staintune uses.

Lets face it the performance difference would be barely noticeable at best.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the tip - I'd forgotten about the Staintune baffles. I some times block one outlet with a plumbers test plug & don't notice any performance change. The sound is a bit monotone however. The R11S exhaust ports are way much smaller that the combined Vanderlinde outlets.

Would anyone know the OD of the Staintune adapter or have a set they might sell?
Old 09-18-2011, 06:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Regnat populus

Garage
Easy Solution

Greetings Arzbec,

Here is an easy solution if you want to do it right and have the deeptone sound and cooler mufflers.

Remove the mufflerset.

At the top of the mufflers cut out a 2" x 5" rectangular piece with a rotary cutting device on the top of the mufflers in front of the support hangers.

Use a respirator!

Do not clean out the remaining packing/carbon as it is TOXIC! It can stay there!

Stuff the mufflers FULL with a loose type (Not the formed batting type) of packing like the FMF 2 Stroke packing kits. You will need ~2-3 kits. You can use a metal clothes hanger to push the packing fully into the empty chamber evenly.

Then have a welder TIG the plates you removed. Duck tape will not work!

Done and not unsightly!

Robert Foster

FOSTER RAD
LASER Engineering Exhaust Systems
RapidBike USA
Oakland Gardens, NY
Robert@FosterRAD.com
718-468-4680

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Brilliant Robert thanks, I was fixated on completely disassembling them the usual way. I'll try your idea over the winter once the snow starts.

I'm debating buying a TIG welder, but concerned about getting enough practice in to be good. What do you think of covering the holes with a larger piece of SS & high temp. silicon & pop riveting?

Best, Charles
Old 09-23-2011, 11:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Regnat populus

Garage
Thumbs up Ok Now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbezc View Post
Brilliant Robert thanks, I was fixated on completely disassembling them the usual way. I'll try your idea over the winter once the snow starts.

I'm debating buying a TIG welder, but concerned about getting enough practice in to be good. What do you think of covering the holes with a larger piece of SS & high temp. silicon & pop riveting?

NOT THE BEST SOLUTION!
Best, Charles
Greetings arbezc,

Somewhere in your area is a welder that would love to take $30 - 40 dollars from you to do a great job in completing your project.

Just tell him that the cans are made of 304L stainless steel.

Enjoy your project.

Robert Foster

FOSTER RAD
LASER Engineering Exhaust Systems
RapidBike USA
Oakland Gardens, NY
Robert@FosterRAD.com
718-468-4680

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: